Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2022, 11:05   #16
BHPian

Re: Worthy successor to a beloved Skoda Octavia A7 L&K

My friend, start including premium SUVs into the equation. While I love fast sedans, and I still keep one, switching to Jeep Compass (not exactly premium, btw) was therapeutic. The drive becomes so stress free, irrespective of the road conditions, terrain and weather. Also remember, the most beautiful places are where there are no roads.

So, keep the Octavia, if you can, for odd fun. Switch to a premium SUV with reasonable off-road credentials.
WhiteKnight is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 11:18   #17
sgm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnadevjs View Post
But I guess a year or two couldn't hurt if I can get a better package overall.
I was in a similar dilemma when I wanted to move to a 3-series. The boot space of 3 was a bummer and the classy interior of C made me to favour the same in the final decision making. In my personal opinion, C-class is a bit more practical than a 3-series. Though you get a more modern and fresher cabin, the current generation C-class has gained about 400kgs and this would have impacted the performance and agility of c-class compared to the last generation, so C220D won’t match a 320D, forget about getting anywhere near to 3330i. C300D should be a better choice if you do not want to go the 530D or E350D route.
Coming from an Octavia, you will be hard pressed for space in the rear seats and boot in a C or 3. If you can consider E or 5, the space issue can be fixed to some extent.

All the best
sgm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 13:11   #18
BHPian

I drive an Octavia 230 VRS. I recently had the experience of driving an older model BMW 320d for a few days and a Volvo V40 for a few days. Plus have been diving the new Superb L&K Petrol for the past month. None of them can hold a candle to the Octavia in my opinion. I think there are multiple threads highlighting why the Octavia is such a difficult car to upgrade from .

I personally find the insane prices these days quite idiotic, and find that the increase in costs don't translate to a corresponding increase in driving pleasure (in my opinion purely). ROI doesn't seem worth it. Living in Mumbai, I would much rather buy a C3 turbo or a C5 Aircross honestly.

If you are really keen on something, why not try something different. Allow me to introduce you to
Worthy successor to a beloved Skoda Octavia A7 L&K-kiaev6gtline20214k5kcars.jpg
KungFuPanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 13:22   #19
BHPian

As an owner of a 2020 Octavia TDI L&K , I can safely say that nothing in the 60 lakh bracket will be a proper upgrade over the Octy in terms of whole package. Keep the octavia and get a pre owned 530d? And keep aside rest of the funds for maintenance! Honestly i am not even able to find an upgrade for my stage 1 remapped S Cross 1.6 under the 30 lakh bracket!!!
robby0707 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 13:24   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Mods are a good option, but unfortunately, they are not really my thing. I like to keep my cars stock.
Thanks to lovely people like you, people like me get to buy 3-5 year old well maintained stock cars. If you change so frequently, you should be buying used cars.

The 3/C aren't much of an upgrade. The 5/E/A6 are too long to be fun to drive.

I used to be like you. Hesitant of making modifications that'd "ruin" the car. Then i got the City's suspensions, and door dampeners upgraded. And facepalmed thinking why didn't I do this earlier? It makes the car drive like from a segment above. Cars aren't perfect beauties. They are machines that can be improved.

Upgrade your suspensions to Bilstein B6s or the one from the RS. You'll be driving a whole new car at a much lower cost. Trust a brother. The driver and munshi in you will both thank me.

Only if that doesn't satisfy your itch to upgrade a 5 year young car, should you look for a new one. If that happens, then a bonanza is awaiting the person who buys from you.
evil_grin is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 13:59   #21
BHPian

The A4, C-Class or a 3 Series won't be much of an upgrade if you are driving an Octavia. These are just more fancy, gizmo laden Octavias.

If you really want it to be an upgrade, an A6, E Class or a 5 series would be a better option. These come with all the new gen safety features that you mentioned and are spacious as well. If it's the most VFM car you're looking for, it's definitely the A6, it is a perfect car priced at the perfect point, until it's new-gen/facelift comes. It is a combo of driving dynamics of the 5 Series and the luxury of E Class, a perfect balance. The other 2 cars are equally good and are a bit more feature-laden than the A6, but they aren't the most VFM.

However, if you don't want to consider the above mentioned cars and want to choose between a 3, C or an A4, my vote goes to the 3 Series. The new C-Class is overpriced (almost near to the price of an A6) and doesn't have the driving feel of a BMW, since you don't want to be chauffer-driven. Audi A4 is due for an update or even a new-gen, so you should take that car off your list.

Do surely check out the A6 and take a TD of that car before you come up with a final decision!

Considering your budget and the requirements, the best bet would be the Audi A6 Technology.
Also, please don't sell your Octavia, keep it. You can use it on short runs! Keep that car until it has life in it, it is a friendly no-nonsense car!
TechnoBloop is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 15:12   #22
Senior - BHPian

An eye opening thread and something I dread that I will encounter (not anytime soon though) as a (recent) Octavia owner. With the same recipie of space and practicality, only the new Superb can be a true replacement although driving experience might remain flat.

My personal take is replace space and practicality (which the Octavia aces) with a totally different set of parameters and don't look back at those!

How about 6 cylinders

Last edited by GeeTee TSI : 19th July 2022 at 15:21.
GeeTee TSI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 15:12   #23
Senior - BHPian

No german offers the keyless entry or ventilated seats package unless you go all the way up to their flagship models for some reason. Even before the semi-conductor shortage. I would rather have both of those than the auto parking package tbh. Maybe its to have an incentive to upgrade.

Either way, the volvos come with keyless entry even on their entry level models. Could give the S60 a shot.
Cresterk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 17:15   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_grin View Post

I used to be like you. Hesitant of making modifications that'd "ruin" the car. Then i got the City's suspensions, and door dampeners upgraded. And facepalmed thinking why didn't I do this earlier? It makes the car drive like from a segment above. Cars aren't perfect beauties. They are machines that can be improved.
I'm pretty much of the same opinion when it comes to modifications. I have a 5th gen City ZX CVT that's less than a year old. While I haven't felt the need to go for any upgrades yet (apart from changing the stock tyres immediately post delivery), I'm curious about the ones you've carried out on your car. What kind of suspension and door dampener upgrade have you gone for? Would be great if you can give an approximate idea of the costs involved. Thanks!
BrakeDancer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 17:32   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrakeDancer View Post
What kind of suspension and door dampener upgrade have you gone for? Would be great if you can give an approximate idea of the costs involved. Thanks!
I've written those details in my ownership review:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post5227301 (3rd-gen Honda City Ownership Review | 11 years, 1 lakh km up)

Suspensions cost around 40 grand. Door Dampening 10 grand. Don't remember the brand used.
evil_grin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 19:26   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

I own both a MY16 Octavia 1.8 TSI Style Plus (6.5Y, 67K km) as well as a MY20 330i Sport (2Y, 22K km). I faced the same YOLO dilemma compounded by the fact that I'm a lot older than you.

Fact is that you will never get the ideal upgrade of your dreams which will tick all the boxes.

Either it'll be the inferior ride quality, lack of interior space and diffident quality of the G20 3 vs the low GC & potentially higher TCO of the C300d vs the FWD bigger A6 vs the bigger (than the 3) 530i.

Personally, I feel that the C300d would be ideal (50:50 importance on interiors vs performance) with a small but growing family. It seems to have the grunt + tech + quality interiors + sheer brand value + space that you need.

Alternatively, bite the bullet and go for the insane M340i. At least if you want to suffer the ride quality / cramped interiors for the next 6-8 years, do it with a 382 bhp monster than the 'milder' 258 bhp 330i. Kids (present & WIP) won't complain of the rear seat for many years now!

I'd suggest test-driving the 530i M Sport and the C300d before taking any call.
itwasntme is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 21:06   #27
BHPian

Quote:
I've written those details in my ownership review:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post5227301 (3rd-gen Honda City Ownership Review | 11 years, 1 lakh km up)

Suspensions cost around 40 grand. Door Dampening 10 grand. Don't remember the brand used.
Ah thanks! I assumed you were talking about the 5th Gen City in your original post, but yours is the 3rd Gen. Personally I've never felt the need for any modifications yet, but maybe few years down the line I can look at these to freshen things up. Cheers and thanks for the link!
BrakeDancer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 21:12   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Background

The heart tells me to go for the C300D now, the mind tells me to wait it out or look at other more VFM options. Any suggestions people?
Dude..buy any of the cars you lust for. Just let us know when you plan to sell the damn hot Octavia
jayram.r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 22:26   #29
BHPian

Wow! Thank you so much everyone, for all the detailed inputs.

The gist I'm getting from the collective conversation is:

1. No upgrade to the Octavia at a sub 70 lac price point would give a commensurate value for money equation. Diminishing returns will rear its ugly head a lot in this segment of vehicles.

2. My Octavia itself is in such good condition that either I shouldn't upgrade now and should wait for a couple of years and go for a higher segment of vehicles OR I should just keep the Octavia and buy the new car.

3. If YOLO has the final word, the C300D seems to be the best bet of the lot from an all-rounder perspective. Alternately, it could be the ultimate YOLO move and I could go for an M340i.

4. The A6 is clearly the choice for VFM in this segment. I will try out the A6 properly once again. However, I think there's a facelift around the corner. And I wouldn't want a generation older new car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
The biggest reason to NOT upgrade in my mind is the space the entry Germans offer compared to the brilliantly packaged Skodas.
I couldn't agree more. The boot of the Octavia is a cavern! You could probably fit a 330i in there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyCarb55 View Post
Pick 530i for comfort or Pick M340i for the ultimate YOLO.
Totally agree with the 340i logic. That would be the ultimate YOLO. I can't stop grinning just thinking about it. However, I don't seem to agree with the 530i argument. For lower power than the 3 series for a heavier car, would not it be a serious compromise on drive? The 5 cabin too doesn't look as new age as even the new C class, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauravpat View Post
The A4 and A6 are both not made on the MQB platform but on the MLB platform which even underpins the A8 and Porsche Macan. The MQB is shared by the Audi A1 and A3.

All in all I still feel you should give the A6 a proper look since you will get a bigger car with more equipment compared to the C or 3 series.
Thanks for the info on the Audis, @sauravpat. That was news to me! I will give the A6 a serious look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by animeshc View Post
I can totally relate to your emotions with the Merc 220D and Bmw 3 series, my take away after test driving them were more or less the same.
I had reached the conclusion that the 530d is the only car that feels like a proper upgrade in terms of comfort/luxury as well as the driving pleasure.

I personally wanted something sportier and after a long debate, ended up with a S5. If you are up for a bit of impracticality (compromising some amount of luxury for a V6 petrol, louder exhaust, sportier looks and IMO more road presence) it might be a great choice too.
The 530d is too expensive for me. Maybe I could wait for a year or two for financials to make more sense AND maybe the facelift to come in, before going for that. Wouldn't an S5 too be seriously expensive compared to all the cars in question here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHPjunkie View Post
The options you have mentioned are not really an upgrade to the Octavia. I would suggest wait it out and get a proper upgrade in the form of the E or 5. I

In case you still firm on upgrading, I would really be interested in your Octavia. DM me if you are planning to sell.

Cheers!
Thanks! Will let you know if I decide to take the plunge. As of now, am still on the fence. Thinking of waiting a year or two and going for the proper upgrade - the E or the 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramba View Post
Also do consider the Kodiaq is it quite sedan like and for me the best option in the market to upgrade from the Octavia.
If I am upgrading, I'd rather go for a luxury brand. While I'm sure the Kodiaq is a brilliant car, it's not quite something that will make me fall in love again - not after the Octavia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharya View Post
Looking at atrocious price points of lux-barges, lack of respect for luxury vehicles by sundry city riders and regrettable conditions of city roads in the country, it's hard to muster courage and put hard earned money for this kind of upgrade.
Amen to that! The Octavia is just too good a car, 4.5 years and 50k km later. I even have an additional year and a half of extended warranty and maintenance on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
My friend, start including premium SUVs into the equation.
I can probably try and X3 - wouldn't hurt TDing one - just that I'm pretty sure it will have to be a replacement for the Octy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgm View Post
Coming from an Octavia, you will be hard pressed for space in the rear seats and boot in a C or 3. If you can consider E or 5, the space issue can be fixed to some extent.
Thank you! I'm quite surprised at how great a package the Octavia turned out to me. Looking at the boot of these potential replacements was honestly, laughable! Especially with a space saver tyre eating into whatever little boot space there was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuPanda View Post
If you are really keen on something, why not try something different. Allow me to introduce you to
Attachment 2335988
This is actually a thought I was having, looking at the comments here. Maybe wait a year or two and look at picking up an i4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby0707 View Post
Keep the octavia and get a pre owned 530d? And keep aside rest of the funds for maintenance!
While pre-owned cars are definitely a great option, I just don't think it's for me. For a decision as emotionally engaged as a car, I just need to have it first.

Quote:
Upgrade your suspensions to Bilstein B6s or the one from the RS. You'll be driving a whole new car at a much lower cost. Trust a brother. The driver and munshi in you will both thank me.
Let me reach out to you separately. While I've never done any modifications to my car, I think I can evaluate it, at this stage of its life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoBloop View Post
Considering your budget and the requirements, the best bet would be the Audi A6 Technology.
Will evaluate this option this weekend. Keeping the Octavia as well is such an exciting prospect. Although that would mean stretching finances a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
How about 6 cylinders
I'm drooling at the prospect of an M340i!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
No german offers the keyless entry or ventilated seats package unless you go all the way up to their flagship models for some reason. Even before the semi-conductor shortage. I would rather have both of those than the auto parking package tbh. Maybe its to have an incentive to upgrade. t.
It's quite ludicrous that sub-20 lac Slavia offers these but 60 lac+ cars don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Alternatively, bite the bullet and go for the insane M340i. At least if you want to suffer the ride quality / cramped interiors for the next 6-8 years, do it with a 382 bhp monster than the 'milder' 258 bhp 330i. Kids (present & WIP) won't complain of the rear seat for many years now!

I'd suggest test-driving the 530i M Sport and the C300d before taking any call.
The C300D isn't available for TD in Mumbai. Planning to try it out when I go to Dubai later this month. Bad ride quality in a 382 BHP monster is definitely better than that in a 258 BHP one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayram.r View Post
Dude..buy any of the cars you lust for. Just let us know when you plan to sell the damn hot Octavia
Haha, sure buddy! Will let you know if I do decide to take the plunge!
Old 19th July 2022, 22:27   #30
BHPian

Just another tangential thought, why not go electric? The i4? Sorry if I am way off your ideas, but being an Octy owner myself, couldn’t think of anything that could excite us over the Octy
vinya_jag is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed