Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2007, 13:41   #1
BHPian

What Car @ 6L (OR Delhi)? Help

Hi,

I am looking for a new car to replace my 6 yr. old Zen.
I currently drive either my Zen or my dad's Baleno (which I was able to finalize on by reading posts on Team-BHP - thanks)

So, having driven the above two cars, my main considerations are Good pickup/performance with fuel efficiency of around 12Kmpl in Delhi. My monthly running is around 900-1000 Kms, 90 - 95% withing city.

My budget is around 6.L (max on road delhi) and i have shortlisted the following cars:

Swift Vxi
Swift Ldi/Vdi
Ikon 1.3 Flair
Logan 1.6 Glx

Swift

I have driven a swift petrol in the past, but not extensively, so I plan to take a test drive this weekend along with the diesel variant.
My only worry with the swift petrol is that it could get replaced with the M series engine soon, which would make my car a little obsolete (well at least I think that way). So if Maruti were to upgrade the engine this year, I would not mind waiting a little longer and go for the new swift. But Till now I have not been able to find out anything concrete regarding this upgrade.
(Would be great if someone with any info on the same could update us.)

And because of this doubt i am also considering the Diesel Swift. I have read and heard a lot about it amazing torque and hence I feel it won't be a bad car to drive around the city. So I am only considering this diesel engine because of its price and not because of its fuel efficiency (which I have ready is also great)

Ikon 1.3

I took a test drive and I found the power lacking. Although its smooth, but the pickup with the AC on is a little sluggish for my liking. Plus the fact that it gives around 10Kmpl in city, I am not too keen on going for the Ikon.
But at the price of 5.2 L on road, it seems/seemed tempting.

Logan 1.6

Well... i wasn't even considering this car as I didn't have a great perception about the car after reading some of the review on this site. But recently, after reading the news about the new 1.6 GLX model launch, I thought I should give it a try.
And let me tell you, I was quite pleasantly surprised! The interiors of Glx is not bad. Its got all the basic features like PS, PW(all 4), 3 rear head support/restraints all all beige interiors, which are not in the same league as that of the NHC or even SX4 but still look pretty decent.
But the best pasrt was the drive. The engine had decent pulling power (which was lacking in the ikon), and with 5 people on board and with the AC on, I did not find it sluggish at all. It managed to pull well in the 3rd gear and and pushed it to 80 kms/hr before changing to 4th. yes it does loose a bit of smoothness at higher speed which is a little disappointing, but I never felt the power lacking. I could only reach about 90 kms/hr as there was traffic.
So overall, at 5.80L on road, I thing it is good VFM.

BUT.. my worry is that the Logan engines are yet to prove themselves in terms of reliability (as they are new in India) and the fact the its image could become like that of Indica/Indigo, i.e a Taxi Car.

So there lies my dilemma... which car to choose??

Would really appreciate if your guys could share your views and help me decide the best car for myself.

Please fell free to suggest other cars as well.

Thanks.

Arup
Old 29th June 2007, 14:19   #2
BHPian

Swift VDi should be the way to go. Fabulous FE, Styling (I would rate it as good), and since you have it on the list, I would suggest you just go for it. With the approx 50-60K that you save you can manage great ICE setup and fab wheels too.

Delivery could be a problem though - i know they take 1.5 months to get the car to the customer post booking.
Old 29th June 2007, 14:21   #3
Team-BHP Support

You can also add the indigo 100bhp(classic). After discounts and offers it will be a fit.
Other than that it depends what do you want Sedan or hatch.
If the boot has no use for you, why spend more, instead go for top end variants of the Large hatches and be happy within 5-5.5L
You can get a diesel for that price too.
Old 29th June 2007, 14:25   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Well my choice would be a Swift Ldi/Vdi followed by Palio stile 1.6L if performance, good torque is what you need.
Old 29th June 2007, 14:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

From your list the Swift diesel would be a good buy if you dont mind the space. Moving from a zen you might not feel its that cramped but still in case you want to have something bigger, try the fusion. Its a good VFM car. I guess the raods in Delhi should be quite good so you wont have to experience the terrible ride quality tha car could give on bad raods. Also ensure if the service levels are acceptable at that place. Ford service is kown for being BAD!!!
Old 29th June 2007, 14:28   #6
BHPian

Swift Vdi with ABS should be your choice. Good engine, great torque and style is still fresh.
Since the Swift diesel is there in your list cos of the engine - I dont have to tell you that its the best part of this car!
Old 29th June 2007, 15:51   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceebeezee View Post
Swift Vdi with ABS should be your choice.
Does the VDi come with ABS? I thought they just had it in the Vxi/Zxi.
Old 29th June 2007, 16:05   #8
BHPian

Thanks for all your responses till now.
I actually don't require a boot as most of the time its just me or one more passenger while traveling. For family outing there is alway the Baleno.
But some sedans like the ones mentioned in my list are tempting at their prices.
Moreover, as I mentioned earlier, i quite liked the drive of the Logan 1.6, but I also have a few reservations that I pointed out before.

So, does anybody have any feedback to share on the Logan 1.6

Surprisingly no one has yet suggested the Swift petrol.

tsk1979: i am not considering the Indigo because of engine refinement issues.

Just went for a TD of the Swift to Rohan Motors (Noida) and guess what????
They said that because of such high demands, they have even sold the Swift Diesel Demo Car!
Old 29th June 2007, 16:31   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Well my choice would be a Swift Ldi/Vdi followed by Palio stile 1.6L if performance, good torque is what you need.
The Palio 1.6 Stile seems to have quite a few things on the brochure but not on the car. Plus, the interiors have been quoted as being not upto the mark... I guess he can do up the car to his liking with the reserve cash though!
Old 29th June 2007, 16:36   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmishra83 View Post
Does the VDi come with ABS? I thought they just had it in the Vxi/Zxi.
Yes ABS and EBD is optional in VDi for 25k extra.
Old 29th June 2007, 16:38   #11
BHPian

I know the palio 1.6 is a great car and probably the best hatch to drive, but its fuel efficiency and FIAT A.S.S. is keeping me away from it.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 29th June 2007 at 17:19.
Old 29th June 2007, 17:20   #12
Team-BHP Support

If you are in Noida, Maruti is a good bet, lots of dealers, so the waiting will be slightly less, a month or so if you go for Swift D.
For your kind of running swift petrol will be fine. Lot of NCR TBHPians have swift P.
Have you tried getz 1.3(that is if you want a roomier car).
Logan is great but its a sedan, and since you already have a baleno, having another sedan does not make much sense. For local drives a swift will be easier to manage(Delhi parking issues and such).
Old 30th June 2007, 00:14   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
If you are in Noida, Maruti is a good bet, lots of dealers, so the waiting will be slightly less, a month or so if you go for Swift D.
For your kind of running swift petrol will be fine. Lot of NCR TBHPians have swift P.
Have you tried getz 1.3(that is if you want a roomier car).
Logan is great but its a sedan, and since you already have a baleno, having another sedan does not make much sense. For local drives a swift will be easier to manage(Delhi parking issues and such).
I actually stay in Delhi but my office is in Noida. Getz 1.3 is a good car but at its current price, it is definitely overpriced. Plus I guess it does not match up to the Swift in terms of performance or FE.

Hopefully I will be able to manage of test drive and the Swift Diesel and petrol and be in a better position to take a decision.

Still awaiting some responses or TD reports on Logan 1.6.
Old 30th June 2007, 02:50   #14
BHPian

Swift Disel is the best bet for you ,its a gr8 engine on a beautful car at a tempting price what more can one ask
Old 9th July 2007, 12:13   #15
BHPian

Update

Hi Guys,

Finally managed to take a test drive of Swift Petrol and Diesel.

And after driving them, I have ruled out the Logan. Although the Logan 1.6 has decent pulling power, but the refinement is missing. Also the steering was too tight for city driving. I drive my friends car again to validate my concerns.

Swift Petrol Lxi

The gear box felt smooth enough, short and precise.
I found the initial pickup to be a little disappointing, but after it reaches around 40 kmph, it starts pulling much better. The engine is quite smooth and overall the NVH levels in this car was satisfactory. Could only manage a top speed of 70 kmph due to traffic.

Swift Diesel Vdi

Had heard a lot, now I experienced it first hand. I tried not to have any bias before i pushed the accelerator. But as soon as I depressed the pedal, it felt more eager than its petrol sibling. And then when i pushed it even further I felt that rush of power after 2000 RPM. The car just begs to be pushed harder.
The engine is quite smooth for a diesel but I has a tad disappointed with the NVH level of the car. One can distinctly make out the vibration, transmitted through the gear lever and the engine does make considerable amount of noise, even when the car is traveling at 60 kmph. But overall, even in the short run of around 3 Kms, the diesel felt better to drive around.

So... i am in a fix again. Should I go for the VXi (petrol) and save money for ICE, Alloys and new tyres or go for the Diesel, most probably Ldi and live with the higher NVH level but get the adrenalin rush while driving it.

I intend to change my car in the next 3-4 years and most of my running is with the city (900 kms/month),so logically speaking the Petrol makes more sense.
But the pure driving pleasure of the Diesel is making me think twice!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks