Old 3rd July 2007, 00:53   #1
BHPian

Comfortable sedan in 10-20 L range

Looking for an AT sedan in 10-20 L range. My requirements are

1. Back seat comfort
2. Back seat comfort
3. Back seat comfort
4. Reliability/Low maintenance
5. VFM (Rules out any CBUs that are total wa... of money IMHO)

Mileage/image/exclusivity etc are not important. Will be driven about 60 city/40 highway. Maximum cabin-road isolation is desired. 90% (may be more) will be chauffeured (for the remaining 10% or less I need an AT). Capacity to seat five adults comfortably over long drives (300km+) on not so smooth roads. Expected run - about 1000 or less km/month.

Based on above my shortlist is:
1. Sonata Embera CRDi AT
2. Sonata Embera (Petrol) AT
3. Accord 2.4L AT

My questions are:

1. Are my requirements very unique. If not then why are there many more
Accords on the road and hardly any Sonata Embera. Is there anything seriously flawed with Embera ...
2. How is the refinement of Sonata oil-burner. Does the clatter filters
into the cabin compared to Petrol ones.
3. Any new launches expected within next 4-6 months. I came to know that Passat will be launched in the next few months. How does it measures on above parameters. Will it be prudent to wait until its launch.

I currently own Innova G4D and City ZX CVT. With Innova the problem is high CG so over long drives everyone feels a bit more fatigued compared to a drive in the sedan. City ZX is OK but space is less and not very comfortable on bumps and way too much road noise at 100+ speeds.

Intend to keep this third car for 3 years at least. Resale not very important.
Appreciate your suggestions.
Old 3rd July 2007, 01:20   #2
BHPian

Other options that I considered were; (A bit above the 20L range though)

1. Teana/Camry
Both are CBU's. I find it hard to get over the feeling of getting ripped when I have seen these cars being sold at less than half of their Indian prices. We already pay so much in taxes. Why again on cars ? Why-O-Why !! Otherwise Camry would have been just perfect. Teana seems to have smallish rear space though excellent interior layout.

2. Superb - For some reason I have my heart set on this car. Somewhat VFM and doesn't looks like total rip-off. Sadly the showroom in my city doesn't have the car available for test drive and when I enquired the sales person rather pushed me to buy Laura saying no one buys Superb as it is an old car, very low mileage and resale and due for model change sometime soon. So ... Laura of course is out of question due to tight rear space.
Old 3rd July 2007, 01:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

How about the new CRV?
Old 3rd July 2007, 01:31   #4
BANNED

Get the Honda Accord 2.4l AT. Your other questions will be answered by the car itself.

We've owned one from last 3-4years and it was always a great companion.

If you intend to wait, then it may even lead to infinity by looking at the way new cars being launched these days.

If you can stretch a bit, then Nissan Teana is worth a look. You may love it.

Don't fall for the Laura. It's the Octavia with a new girlish name and a blown up price tag.
Old 3rd July 2007, 01:46   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
How about the new CRV?
it perfectly fits the bill!! --> imho
be prepared to wait for 30-45 days for delivery though.

the rear seats' back rest reclines 30-40 degrees or so. feels like a lounge in there. a very exclusive lounge that is.

Last edited by rev_hard : 3rd July 2007 at 01:48.
Old 3rd July 2007, 01:49   #6
BHPian

Thanks v1p3R and speedzak. So Accord AT it is as of now ...

@v1p3R - CRV is ruled out (No CBU/Only Sedans)
@speedzak - How does the rear seat comfort compares with Embera ? Short test drives didn't gave me much idea .. It would be nice to hear from you if you have anything to say on this

I am willing to wait for couple of months max as this car is not very urgent requirement and current choices seems to be rather limited.
Old 3rd July 2007, 08:05   #7
Senior - BHPian

For best back seat comfort you need Camry ( I heard new camry is not as comfy as old one although) and also it coems with AT. If its beyond the budget then look for Optra D magnum, since you have NHC CVT use it when you drive thats good car. I feel for back seat comfort Sonata and Accord give similar comforts but I don't know about these 2 cars.

Another thought :

Since you have Diesel Innova in long journey because it makes lot of noice Id driven more than 80kmph and more vibrations comapred with Petrol you will feel tired mainly in bad roads.

I own Petrol Innova in long journey I never feel tired even after 500km within 8 hrs.

If you still like Innova and can use NHC CVT for yourself when you have to drive sell your Innova D (you get very good resale value) and search for used Innova Petrol for few months (it has poor resale value) If you didn't get good one go for Brand New Petrol Innova since you are not bothered
about image/resale/FE I feel.

For comfortable journey speed should not exceed 120kmph in Innova so you never feel tired. In sedan even with hatchback like Swift you can go around 140kmph but still you never get tired but with SUV/MUV one should not cross 120kmph so you never feel you are dragging from your seat on highway.

Another issue with big engines like 2ltr engine vibrations will be more compared with 1.6/1.3 ltr engine. so we tend to get tired in SUV/MUV more than Sedan.

As you said low seating of Sedan makes you feel you are covred all around so less tiredness feeling.

Hope my points help.

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 3rd July 2007 at 08:07.
Old 3rd July 2007, 08:14   #8
BHPian

Go for the Accord 2.4 AT. It does not have as much space when compared to Camry but as the Camry is CBU therefore, its ruled out in your shortlist. Accord will cost you 17L and you will have 3L to save on!
Old 3rd July 2007, 08:51   #9
BHPian

May I know what is distinctly better in Accord compared to Sonata besides brand image (which has very low priority in my list). In my short test drives I felt Accord was comparatively better build and had a nicer ambiance inside but the rear seat comfort/space was a little better in Sonata.

BTW, What do you guys think about the Superb ? Too old as the sales guy at Skoda showroom told me .. puzzled !!
Old 3rd July 2007, 09:07   #10
BANNED

I went for a test drive of the Sonata Embera but I forgot to sit in the back seat. Ofcourse, I'm not much of a Hyundai lover.
But rear seat comfort of the Accord is great. The indian spec rear suspension should be the reason for that feeling. If you can wait, then let this thread go on. And when You're ready with your purchase, you can revoke it and come to a final decision.
Old 3rd July 2007, 09:41   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
I went for a test drive of the Sonata Embera but I forgot to sit in the back seat. Ofcourse, I'm not much of a Hyundai lover.
But rear seat comfort of the Accord is great.
I never thought much of hyundai untill I sat in the Embera. It felt Solid (and I have a Octy as reference). I wold be very happy with a fully speced Embera and you will save 2L over the Accord. The rear seat of both is comparable.

The Superb is a fantastic car to drive as well as to be driven in. Different from the Accord or Embera but it is a bit over 20L and Skoda's A.S.S is not consistent. The Laura DSG which is under 20L does NOT offer the same degree of rear seat comfort as the Accord or Emebera but as a drivers car outshines both as well as the Camry.

So if you rule out the Camry (CBU), and the Skoda (A.S.S), it is a 2 horse race between the Accord or the Embera both of which you have listed to begin with. I would take the Petrol Embera. Great VFM. Hyundai has better A.S.S than Honda.

The Camry is a CBU and becuase of that is rather expensive for what it offers. Again the newer version step over the 20L margin but it's back seat will outshine the Accord, Embera, Superb or Laura.

Last edited by navin : 3rd July 2007 at 09:44.
Old 3rd July 2007, 09:50   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

At a 1000 kms or less, the diesel hardly makes sense. I think the Accord fits your requirements best.

A point worth of mention is that the current Accord is at the end of its lifecycle. You might just want to wait for the entirely new 2008-Accord which is just around the corner. As with every new gen, this is expected to be a giant leap ahead. Expected in the next 6 - 12 months in India.
Old 3rd July 2007, 10:15   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Expected in the next 6 - 12 months in India.
WOW! I did not expect it to come to India so soon.
Old 3rd July 2007, 10:57   #14
Team-BHP Support

Even I dont think it will come so soon. It's supposed to be launched in the US in 2008 or end 2007. then it will come to thailand in another 6 months after which India will get it.

So end 2008 to early 2009 easily.
Old 3rd July 2007, 11:11   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

entropy, you could also look at the new Optra Magnum diesel. A highly competent allrounder, from what I hear

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks