Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2022, 19:29   #31
BHPian

Re: Advice on buying a used Chevrolet Cruze

As other members have pointed out, there are so many red flags with the car.

If you still want to buy a hoot to drive diesel sedan, I suggest to test drive a Jetta diesel. You can get comfortline variant with similar age and mileage in your budget. Relatively easy to maintain and more reliable. I would even say way more fun to drive.
bhavik.1991 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 19:38   #32
BHPian

Wait, Chevy left India for good and the Cruze is a failed model (nos. wise). So, a car that is a diesel, has had major replacements to the suspension and is now getting ready for another major surgery at 47K is a major flag to walk away. I am just wondering how good of a salesman your mechanic is. He is good. I wouldn't even value it at 4 lakhs in the market. Just take a look at the IDV on the insurance papers, you should drop 20% below that rate (since you seem to be bent on taking it come what may).
Raghu M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 20:09   #33
BHPian

The car from the photos doesn't look like one that has done 47K KM. It should be more. If I were you I would have offered 4 Lakhs. I also wanted to own one at one stage but gave up after some search at Bangalore.
This car might need maintenance expenses of 1 - 1.5 lakhs in a year going by what you have mentioned, so with that an offer of 4 Lakhs is max I would have put for this.
busydrive is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 21:02   #34
Senior - BHPian

The wear & tear on the steering wheel indicates it is definitely driven more than 47K Kms.
Please stay away from this example.
Ramsagar is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 21:09   #35

Hi

While i was going through this thread I just could not keep myself away from posting my views onto Cruze. I am a happy owner of a very neatly maintained 2016 Cruze having completed 50000 kms a day before yesterday.

I might play the devil's role here but I have faced no issues at all with my Cruze. Few of you have pointed out the poor quality material used in this vehicle however I shall beg to differ. My car being 6 years old does not rattle at all & drives as good as new.

Saikishore you may contact me if you need better insights. Happy to help

Last edited by Aditya : 18th November 2022 at 04:44. Reason: Spacing; mobile number
pitstop_chd is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 13:11   #36
BHPian

Hi,
I had a Cruze, 2016 model which clocked 110000 kms in 4 years. I sold it last year and I can tell you that even now, I miss the ride and comfort that Cruze gives. I had installed bilsteins, wide tyres, leather seats and what not. It was immaculately maintained and I sold it for 5.75 lacs.
Problem with Cruze is that it's a very temperamental vehicle. It needs to be pampered and one must have a very strong mechanical sense and feel of the car to get the most out of it.It cannot be treated as a regular car in it's segment like a jetta or an octy. If you have that skill, you'll be happy with the cruze. Else, the Cruze will be your nightmare and a white elephant. Regarding spares, there is always generic substitutes to OEM which are easily affordable. Hope this clears your doubts.
Neil Roy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 19:06   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post
Ok, lets say I still want to get the car even after reading all of your aforementioned points, and I'm ready to deal with the headaches associated if anything goes wrong. What will be the fair price for this car? I was thinking 6lacs would be a fair price for both parties.
I would not put a fair price of over 3-3.5 lakhs for it. If you quote 4 lakhs, I think there is a high chance that the owner will eventually sell it to you as it's going to be extremely difficult for him to find a buyer who would give that much for the car.
VinsWagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 21:20   #38
BHPian

My 2 cents -
I believe you're drooling over that 2 litre engine with 170hp.

The 2 litre engine used to be a bonker in that era 2010s. But
performance isn't very remarkable except the top speed.

All these cars which are much reliable can easily give Cruze a run for its money, which you may consider buying especially maintenance won't be a problem -

Figo/ Aspire 1.5 Tdci
Ameo/Vento/Rapid 1.5 Tdci
Verna 1.6Crdi
Jetta 2.0 Tdi

Polo/Rapid/Vento 1.0 TSI 2020 Onwards you may find one, this does 0-100 faster than Cruze.

You could consider these cars and try finding one of these in the used market, you'd be much better off in terms of maintanence of the car.
divyadeeptsi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2022, 06:34   #39
BHPian

Hyderabad used car prices are unfortunately astronomical

Please check the current insurance papers and available No Claim Bonus

No claim Bonus is awarded if the vehicle has been accident claim free

You might also want to pull up service records from authorised centres

Another way of arriving at a fair price is to take the car to a used car dealer of your choice in a different part of the city and get a valuation. They will go through the vehicle with a fine comb before quoting anything

You can offer this amount to the owner of the car and buy it

But personally I would suggest that you keep away from it and get another fast diesel to quench your thirst

Last edited by Voodooblaster : 19th November 2022 at 06:37. Reason: Adding content
Voodooblaster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 17:05   #40
BHPian

I backed out of the deal. No response from owner, hence let it go.

Meanwhile, I checked out another cruze today to compare how good/bad the car I earlier checked out was. Clutch on the 2017 car was done, it was so hard compared to the one I checked out today. Brakes were the same, a little weak. The 2017 car was not serviced properly and was abused was what I felt. Heck, interiors on the car I checked out today were miles ahead of the 2017 one(in terms of wear and tear).

I need advice on this car. 2012 LTZ MT with 72k kms on the odo. I felt the car was very well kept. I could only drive it for 1.5-2 kms but I'm sure if I go back again the dealer will give me a longer test drive.
The only red flags I found in this car were
The odometer display was a little faded(dim lit) on the left corner
Tiny(very tiny,almost negligible to the average joe)amount of rust on the left passenger door area
Minor dent on the left rear door
Interiors were a little squeaky
Funnily all 4 tyres were of different makes with 4-5 months of life left on them
Missing mirror cover on one side
The asking price was 4.2 lacs. I am sure it will come down to 4, planning to bargain for around 3.8-3.9 if my mech gives a thumbs up.

I guess I only want a Cruze. Nothing else feels special enough to my heart.
Attached Thumbnails
Advice on buying a used Chevrolet Cruze-img_20221126_165212.jpg  

Advice on buying a used Chevrolet Cruze-img20221126143931.jpg  

Advice on buying a used Chevrolet Cruze-img20221126143910.jpg  

Advice on buying a used Chevrolet Cruze-img20221126143859.jpg  

Advice on buying a used Chevrolet Cruze-img20221126143805.jpg  

Advice on buying a used Chevrolet Cruze-img20221126143745.jpg  

Advice on buying a used Chevrolet Cruze-img20221126142636.jpg  

Advice on buying a used Chevrolet Cruze-img_20221126_170412.jpg  

Last edited by saikishor : 26th November 2022 at 17:06.
saikishor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 22:00   #41
BHPian

Hi team, I need advice on another Cruze that I found on olx.
2016 LTZ Automatic
45k kms
MH01 2nd owner but still on 1st owner's name
Guy is selling it off since he wants to buy a Mini cooper and has a BMW 5 series in his garage

This car has to be the coolest and cleanest Cruze I've seen till now. It has 5 Momo rims with it.The seller was ok with me bringing my mech to inspect the carz especially since I would have to come from Hyderabad to check it out. He was insisting to check beforehand thru a video call so that even if I end up going to Thane(car's current location) to bring it home, I wouldn't end up being disappointed.

Asking price was 7.15 lacs non negotiable, but since I told him I have to come from Hyderabad, he said we could negotiate.

I have doubts on the authenticity of the seller and the vehicle. He's from another city, and I have no clue about the vehicle unlike ny previous outing with my mechanic's Cruze. From photos, the vehicle seems to be really clean. And if everything feels right, I will bring it home.

Also if anyone is aware of the re registration costs in Hyderabad, please do let me know.

Suggestions on this will be well appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Saikishor
Attached Thumbnails
Advice on buying a used Chevrolet Cruze-img_20221130_215216.jpg  

Advice on buying a used Chevrolet Cruze-img_20221130_215156.jpg  

Advice on buying a used Chevrolet Cruze-img_20221130_215127.jpg  

Advice on buying a used Chevrolet Cruze-img_20221130_215104.jpg  

Advice on buying a used Chevrolet Cruze-img_20221130_215039.jpg  

Advice on buying a used Chevrolet Cruze-img20221130wa0021.jpg  

Advice on buying a used Chevrolet Cruze-img20221130wa0024.jpg  

Advice on buying a used Chevrolet Cruze-img20221130wa0020.jpg  

Advice on buying a used Chevrolet Cruze-img20221130wa0017.jpg  

Advice on buying a used Chevrolet Cruze-img20221130wa0019.jpg  

Advice on buying a used Chevrolet Cruze-img20221130wa0013.jpg  

Advice on buying a used Chevrolet Cruze-img20221130wa0012.jpg  

Advice on buying a used Chevrolet Cruze-img20221130wa0011.jpg  

Advice on buying a used Chevrolet Cruze-img20221130wa0009.jpg  

Advice on buying a used Chevrolet Cruze-img20221130wa0008.jpg  

Advice on buying a used Chevrolet Cruze-img20221130wa0005.jpg  

Advice on buying a used Chevrolet Cruze-img20221130wa0004.jpg  

Last edited by saikishor : 30th November 2022 at 22:05.
saikishor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 22:22   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Hi team, I need advice on another Cruze that I found on olx.
2016 LTZ Automatic
45k kms
MH01 2nd owner but still on 1st owner's name

Also if anyone is aware of the re registration costs in Hyderabad, please do let me know.
If you choose to go with this, I suggest you keep the registration in MH itself. The registration cost (including the road tax) would be ~90k in Hyderabad. I am in process of registering my car in Hyderabad and it's really a cumbersome process.
bansal.sushant is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2022, 05:55   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansal.sushant View Post
If you choose to go with this, I suggest you keep the registration in MH itself. The registration cost (including the road tax) would be ~90k in Hyderabad. I am in process of registering my car in Hyderabad and it's really a cumbersome process.
As of what I know, you need to obtain a NOC from previous RTO and submit it to your current RTO. But yes, charges involved are pretty high.

Will it be ok to run a MH car in Hyderabad for a long duration? And I cannot keep the car MH registered(if I end up getting it) as I gave no proofs(address proof and all other required stuff) to get the ownership transfer done.
Old 1st December 2022, 20:16   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Suggestions on this will be well appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Saikishor
Looks nice but you will be spending another lac just to get TS plates. If you are really sure you want to live with a large diesel car, why not look at something like a Jetta? They are more popular and for good reason so you will easily be able to find one in Hyderabad itself
IshaanIan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2022, 20:37   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Looks nice but you will be spending another lac just to get TS plates. If you are really sure you want to live with a large diesel car, why not look at something like a Jetta? They are more popular and for good reason so you will easily be able to find one in Hyderabad itself
I will have to negotiate with him accordingly. I have a fixed budget of 6 lacs. Previously when I was evaluating a Meghalaya vehicle, registration costs were around 2 lacs. I find the one lac figure a little reasonable.

Jetta's are keepers, and it shows in the used market. I could barely find any good examples. Even if I did, they were ridiculously priced. I found a 2015 Jetta DSG Diesel which had an asking price of 12.5 lacs. Saying Hyderabad used car prices are horrible would be an understatement. Lack of options coupled with Honda Bigwing pricing.

And also, my heart is set on the Cruze. Nothing else feels appealing enough to me.
saikishor is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed