Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2022, 08:11   #1

Used Honda Civic CVT Petrol | Buy or Pass?

Hi,
I am based out of Delhi NCR and am currently evaluating a Civic ZX CVT Oct 2019 make which has done 27,000 kilometres. This car will be almost exclusively used by me and my sister. Other cars currently with us are a 2020 endeavour and 2014 celerio manual.
The Civic is owned by a close relative in MP and hence service history and past issues are not a concern. My other options include a new creta or seltos but the waiting periods are insane. I already have a booking for creta sx IVT however the dealer is unable to commit a delivery date.
Regarding the civic, I love it’s styling and sporty nature. However, This shall be my first car and hence immediate family is a little skeptical about going the used route.
As I require a car urgently, request forum members to share their point of view.
Also please share the ballpark fair price if I were to go ahead with this car!
sp2894 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 14:29   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Used Honda Civic CVT Petrol | Buy or Pass?

Go for it. The 10th-gen Civic looks awesome, has a smooth CVT and is a fun handler. What's more, Honda gives you extended warranties up to the 10th year, making long-term ownership relatively fuss-free.

1. Follow our used car checklist to the T (including service history, checking past insurance claims etc.).

2. Go through our Honda Civic Review to better understand the car.

27,000 km is nothing for this car and it'll easily serve you & your sister well for 150,000 - 200,000 km. Because you already have a big SUV & a small hatchback, the Civic will nicely slot in between them.
GTO is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 22:48   #3
BHPian

Have been driving once since March 2019 and with about 22k on the odo, get the car eyes closed. There are a few issues which I would like to address:-
1. Cvt has really messed up with the car’s engine & performance
2. There’s a lot of road noise with the stock tyres
3. Music system could have been much better
4. A few other essentials could have been provided like ventilated seats, or sunshades for the rear windscreen and a bigger boot in a notchback style like the octavia. If you want to know anything specifically about the car then do let me know I’ll be happy to answer them.
NarediAni7518 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 23:51   #4
Team-BHP Support

I tested it and liked it a lot.

it handles really well and was the only car worth considering as a Jetta replacement in that segment. However, the only fly in the ointment is that CVT box. It requires a little getting used to and you need to be resigned to chilled out driving.

Also, if you prang it, parts might be difficult to get hold of! A holiday in Thailand might be a great excuse for parts gathering!

Bring in the new B-EV version and I might buy it.

Last edited by ajmat : 28th November 2022 at 23:52.
ajmat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th November 2022, 01:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

Go for it parts should be available from Honda itself for the next 10 years atleast, the car ought to prove reliable and this might be your last chance to enjoy a proper D-Segment Sedan as our nation holds a very different future where you will either have to get the latest Creta or an overpriced City/Verna/Virtus posing as the best the sedan market has to offer. The cars that are available in our market under 30 lacs are just not built the same as a CKD/CBU like the Civic and you may not get the opportunity to own something like that again; relatively affordable yet extremely well engineered.
IshaanIan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th November 2022, 15:53   #6
BHPian

Don’t think twice about it. The Civic will be so much better than a Creta which you have currently booked. The CVT is not as bad as people make it out to be. As long as you keep it within 7/10ths, there will be no issues. The ride, handling and braking are simply awesome. And to top it off, no reliability qualms either.

As the saying goes, “You know you bought the right car when you look back at it after parking it”. You may spend your nights in the garage itself staring at the beauty.
revsperminute is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 10:15   #7
BHPian

I'm not sure about the ease of getting a car from a different state due to RTO related challenges but if that's sorted then go for it! I got one with less than 8000km on the odo and couldn't be happier with my choice. There were many other options(new City,Creta,Seltos,Taigun,Kushaq etc) at that price point however I was never convinced by them. While it raised a lot of eyebrows for spending a big sum of money on a pre owned car, I was clear about my choice. It had to be a well kept Civic/Corolla only. You will not get that quality in any other new car currently in the market at that price. They are compromised in one way or the other.

But the Civic is more suited for the highways and nice wide roads which our cities lack due to it's near 6m turning radius. If you plan to take it out on short runs with frequent getting in and out, it's going to tire you out as you're literally falling into a pit inside. But, once seated it's very comfortable and you'll enjoy the low and sporty posture! Also, you need to open the front door more than 60 degrees wide to be able to get out of it comfortably. Parking in tight spots can be a challenge and the car definitely isn't senior citizen friendly.

The spares if required will take at least 3 weeks to reach the dealership in the South once ordered as they have to be dispatched from Greater Noida.

Have a look at the Civic and you'll immediately figure out the magic of getting well kept pre owned cars from a segment above. The Civic never made sense to me at 27.5 lakh OTR but it's an absolute steal in the pre owned car market. It's a first world car and it shows. For example, compare it with the Honda City 5th gen itself and you'll immediately realize the difference. Get it before the rest of the crowd suddenly starts loving sedans again over SUVs, picks it up and gets lucky.
Dead_Pedal is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 13:01   #8
BHPian

Sorry brother but a contention discussion between a City and any Hyundai/Kia product is not on...at all.
You're even luckier since you're getting it from a family member which should bring an even higher degree of peace of mind.
Don't even think about it just go for it even though it's a CVT, a 6 speed MT would have been the best choice but Honda never offered that so CVT is the next best thing
mpp1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 13:57   #9
BHPian

In my humble opinion, go for the Civic CVT eyes-closed. The sweet iVtec coupled with the well-tuned CVT will offer enough fun on highways and ease in city conditions. For any off-roading requirements you anyway have the Endeavour. It's definitely a better choice.

Good luck!
VikramCS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st December 2022, 17:39   #10
BHPian

In 3 words Go For it !!

I have been driving one since 2019 in Delhi NCR and its a pleasure ride everytime.
The 1.8L engine has the perfect balance of performance & efficiency and easily extracts 15+ KM/L in both spirited driving or bumper-to-bumper traffics. I recently did Delhi-Amritsar-Srinagar-Delhi and it returned 16KM/L for the entire 2000KM+ journey.

The only downside I can think of is that, its too low & can be cumbersome for elderly to ingress/egress.

For part availability, do check with your nearest dealership before visiting as they usually don't keep in stock and arrange in 2 ~ 3 days in most cases from the spare hub in Greater Noida.
Motorhead23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2022, 23:25   #11

Thanks a lot everyone for your responses.
Just a reminder quick check on the RTO transfer bit. Are BS-IV Cars from other states not allowed to be re-registered in Delhi?
Also, what would be the re-registration charges?
Pls help as I am a little clueless in this regard!
Old 8th December 2022, 16:04   #12
BHPian

Go for it. I just bought the 2019 version which ran 20K roughly. The stock tires are Yokohoma manufactured in 2018 for the ZX version. Go for the same or similar make but ensure you stick to the specifications, i.e. 215/55 R17 91V. Sadly they are hard to find these days.

Most Viewed