Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy a used Toyota Corolla Altis today?
Yes 398 68.62%
No 182 31.38%
Voters: 580. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2020, 14:04   #1
Senior - BHPian

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Toyota Corolla Altis (11th-gen)

The 11th-generation Corolla was launched in 2014, followed by a facelift in 2017. The Corolla is known for its reliability and fuss-free ownership; some say it can outlast its owners! While the previous generation Corollas were loaded with features, and were more luxurious than sporty, the 11th-gen came with minimal features and tried to be more sporty. But this didn't fit the target audience for the car. That, and the declining interest in D1 sedans, eventually saw Toyota pulling the plug on the Corolla (when the BS6-emission norms came into effect). To its credit, Toyota had tried to fix some issues with the facelift, but the segment had declined rapidly by then as all customers had flocked to the SUVs.

Positives

• Highly practical sedan. A fuss-free point A -> B car
• Fantastic driveability with the 6 speed MT. The AT is one of the best CVT gearboxes even today
• Excellent refinement inside the cabin that just shuts the outside world once you're inside
• Came with some unique features like reclining rear seats. Facelift also got more airbags
• Improved dynamics vs the 10th-gen Corolla as well as better ground clearance
• Toyota's reliability, durability & superb after-sales service
• The Corolla Altis ages very well. Durability is topnotch. Screwed together in a way that it should last forever
• Sportier styling vs the 10th-gen car

Negatives

• The early build years had very basic features. No sunroof, no rear A/C vents and only two airbags. It even lost a couple of features (e.g. sliding armrest) vs the 10th-gen
• Holds its value fairly well, which means you'll pay a higher price
• Puny 1.4L diesel suffers from lag & is completely lacking in performance
• Basic audio system which is nonintuitive to use and offers limited connectivity features
• Rear seat legroom is decent, but lesser than the Honda City. You'd expect more from a segment up
• Not as solidly built as the previous generations. Felt lighter overall
• Did not feel as luxurious as previous Corollas. Interior design was more sporty than luxurious which did not appeal to the Corolla's target buyer
• You can get a 5th-gen City (comparable size) for not much more $$$ than a 3-year old Altis

Related Threads

Severus' Toyota Corolla Altis VL S-CVTi

Hypermiler's Toyota Corolla Altis VVT-i MT

Bhutan in a Toyota Corolla Altis

Mod Potential:

Don't go overboard as this isn't an enthusiast's driving machine. Better to use it as a premium family car.

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Toyota Corolla Altis (11th-gen)-corolla-mod.jpg
Source

Availability:

Average. The D1 sedan segment had already started declining when Toyota launched the 11th-generation Corolla Altis in India. By the time the issues were resolved with the facelift, the segment was almost dead (related thread).

Here are some on sale - 2014 77,000 km Petrol AT, 2015 59,000 km Petrol AT, 2016 17,200 km Petrol AT, 2017 39,144 km Petrol MT, 2017 45,643 km Diesel MT.

Pictures of the 2016, 17,200 km done petrol AT with an asking price of Rs. 12,50,000.

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Toyota Corolla Altis (11th-gen)-used-corolla-1.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Toyota Corolla Altis (11th-gen)-used-corolla-2.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Toyota Corolla Altis (11th-gen)-used-corolla-3.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Toyota Corolla Altis (11th-gen)-used-corolla-4.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 24th July 2020 at 14:05. Reason: Diesel engine point, thanks to vishy76!
ChiragM is online now   (46) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 13:41   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Toyota Corolla Altis (11th-gen)

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene. Thanks for sharing!

Voted for no. I'm a heart-over-head guy and this isn't my kind of car at all. From the D1 segment, I'd buy a Jetta (1st choice) or Octavia (2nd choice) over a used Corolla Altis. Yes, I know neither will be as fuss-free to own as this Toyota. But in exchange for the 2 - 3 days of repairs / maintenance each year, the Jetta will make me grin wider on the other 362 days.
GTO is offline   (49) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 13:59   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Toyota Corolla Altis (11th-gen)

Voted for a no. Apart from the fact that it's not as fun to drive as it's German counterparts, the Altis has an extremely mediocre diesel engine and also doesn't appeal to me in the looks department. The Diesel also missed out on something as basic as fog lamps even on the top end variant at launch. I believe Toyota designers shouldn't even attempt radical designs.

The previous gen 2008 Altis would be my pick. It was the quintessential plush, no nonsense and reliable executive saloon for me. Even as a Jetta owner, I would pick the 2008 Altis as a pre owned buy. Prices aren't exactly low for a car of its age, but then I believe it has earned that sort of respect in the second hand market.

The 11th gen seems neither here nor there. The styling and the jacked up stance are the polar opposite of the way it drives, it also lacked something as basic as curtain airbags for the 20+ lakhs it commanded at launch ( 2014 pre facelift) and as already mentioned, the diesel was the most mediocre segment offering. Prices for used facelifted Corolla Altis cars are sky high in the used car market as well.
vishy76 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 14:28   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I voted NO. Reliability aside, for me, nothing impresses from the Corolla. The car doesn't look to my tastes after the arrival of the ALTIS. Upto that - it used to look nice, understated. Then again - reliability expectations from a pre-owned car are always doubtful in my mind. A bit prejudiced about it.

I'd rather buy some European stead instead. An Octavia mostly, even knowing the risks of mechanical issues and costly repairs that it brings. It gives the bang for the bucks & an enjoyable driving experience. If I'm to just buy a comfortable point A to point B car that is cheap to maintain in long run - I'll buy a Suzuki Ciaz instead. Works better for me. I even like the looks more!

Last edited by Reinhard : 24th July 2020 at 14:29.
Reinhard is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 14:44   #5
BHPian

Voted YES. I love Toyotas and their reliable nature. A MT Diesel Altis would be an amazing catch. Considering it's frugal nature and reliability. I don't mind missing out on some features for this car.
Sreesh1009 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 14:55   #6
BHPian

Voted YES.
I have owned 2 corollas - 2003 and 2013 Altis till today. 2013 Altis is the previous gen model with Auto Box. I love Toyota's due to there sheer reliability. 11th gen onwards the brand took a beating due to new arrivals in market, thinning sheet metal and weird looks. Still I would love to own one of there few years down the line. Some one deciding to buy Corolla after reading this thread should ensure that all the shock absorbers are in good condition before commiting.
vivek.ks is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 15:03   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted YES, for a few reasons,

For someone looking for a chauffeur-driven vehicle this makes complete sense because the car has one of the best back seats in the business coupled with 180mm of ground clearance. It maybe expensive in the used car market but it comes with reliability, space, is fuss-free, a no-nonsense car and in terms of comfort nothing comes close. Also after-sales is the major selling point.

OT my next new car is also going to be a Toyota for the simple reason that no brand can match the service and reliability even though Toyota's maybe boring and I want to look at other options.

Someone looking at a driver's car are better off with the VW's Jetta and Skoda's Octavia.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 15:15   #8
BHPian

Voted NO.

I am an engine guy and would go for a driver’s car. I’ll probably never sit in the backseat of my car (not that altis scores better in this area) and 99.9% of the time I’ll take the driver’s seat.

If going for a car in this D1 segment, more so for a pre-worshipped one, I’d rather go for performance & driving pleasure over practicality. Having another “practical & reliable” car in your garage, from perhaps a lower segment, makes this decision really easy.

Agree with GTO in the above post, Jetta or octavia may spend some time in the workshop for some repairs but they will give you utmost driving pleasure for most of your ownership.
ShivWason17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 15:19   #9
MMV
BHPian

Voted yes, Though I used to drive 2008 VLAT petrol, which is impressive, would be open for the 2014 variant also. Key reasons for like other than reliability are, pleasing design (though more apt for 2008 variant); Petrol, esp AT are smooth to drive; sound proof interiors; good highway ride quality and
better maneuverability in cities (for a sedan of this size, it's impressive)
MMV is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 15:28   #10
BHPian

Voted No. But not because it is not so much fun to drive or lacks a powerful engine or doesn't stand a chance against the 'germans'.

No simply because it is hard to find a VFM bargain in the used market for a recent model. If not for the prices, I will for sure buy it. This car is meant for comfort and be driven in. Family will be happy, and the buyer will be happy with low maintenance bills.

But can't pay a heavy price for a used car if I can get some very very good options with the same price in the same segment
sunilch is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 15:29   #11
BHPian

Voted NO, I don't know what I would do when I hunt for a new sedan, but definitely NO NO when looking for a pre-owned sedan. There are greater choices in the pre-owned sedans market. It commands more than what it's really worth, I was never impressed with it's plane-jane design and zero excitement behavior. I would buy a Jetta or even Civic any day over a Corolla.
hummer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 15:32   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a 2009 Altis VL AT and even after a decade it drives nearly like new. I have maintained it well at an authorised toyota workshop always which has paid off. Several feel that once a car is out of warranty or aged you should switch to a local garage for service etc but I think the only reason my Altis has lasted so well is because its been cared for by the right hands and genuine parts.
I wouldnt say its been cheap to maintain but it hasn't been expensive either.

Usually in this span I would have changed 2 cars atleast.
I plan to keep it for another 2-3 years atleast, its barley done 70k kms. Yes it's not our primary car at home hence I can stretch it without getting bored of it. Its mainly used to run errands by the driver and used by me or a family member when their car is out for service or repair.

P.S: I should add that we have another 2009 Altis in the family too as well as a newer gen 2017 one which was only bought because of the track record the 2009 ones had with us.

Last edited by Sahil : 24th July 2020 at 15:38.
Sahil is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 15:37   #13
BHPian

Voted no, because the two most important things I look for viz. looks and engine..th Corolla doesn't excel in any one.
Sandeep500 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 15:52   #14
BHPian

Voted yes.

If you are looking for a much much free reliable car, I would look for one right away. High cost is the only deterent but well worth the premium over the Skoda's & VWs. But sadly it is a chaueffeur driven pick. Neutral ride & handling is good for an aspiring seth.

In fact I was one a scouting spree (for the fun of it). Corolla Petrol & Jetta Diesel (both MT) were my picks for the D segment cars at reasonable prices.
1.2TSI7DSG is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 16:06   #15
Senior - BHPian

I like this car. As an executive family saloon, this gets the job done. Beyond that there is nothing much to it. It is a perfect point A to B car.

Also, in my book a spartan but reliable Corolla is any day better than a loaded but a highly unreliable Skoda.

Last edited by bigron : 24th July 2020 at 16:08.
bigron is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks