Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2023, 15:40   #16
BHPian

Re: New Honda City vs Used Honda Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revention View Post
(Missed this post for some reason) Will try to check this part.

Also the newer Hyundai (it looks fine in-person, more polarising in pics IMO) with its features and engine (1.5 turbo) at its price has made the decision difficult.

As per Honda dealer, Anytime warranty can be given, subject to inspection which I anyways planned to do. Spinny has 5 day (300 km), no questions asked, return policy. So will need to do that inspection within those 5 days and can return if not found good enough or buy the Anytime warranty if all good

Another doubt now is if the cost if is good enough with all impending risks like 10 yr limit being imposed for diesel in Karnataka as well.
Emission norms is also worry since its a BS4 (though my usage is not as much)

https://www.spinny.com/buy-used-cars...-2019/7473507/ is the link for for detailed info of the car

PS :
I know many above have outright told me not get into this hassle. But I am just posting all possible points to get the most feedback and take most informed decision
One good thing seems to be that the 2019 Civic diesel engine was able to pass Euro 6D TEMP emissions standard—a year ahead of its implementation. So no guilt on buying older diesel in 2023
Revention is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 16:56   #17
BHPian

Quote:
One good thing seems to be that the 2019 Civic diesel engine was able to pass Euro 6D TEMP emissions standard—a year ahead of its implementation. So no guilt on buying older diesel in 2023
Looks like your heart is set on the CIVIC, in which case you should just follow through with that
ToThePoint is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 22:00   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToThePoint View Post
Looks like your heart is set on the CIVIC, in which case you should just follow through with that

I took the leap of faith. In next 5 days will get it inspected from Honda service centre as well hard analyse it myself to see if it should be kept or returned
Revention is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th March 2023, 16:52   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I took the leap of faith. In next 5 days will get it inspected from Honda service centre as well hard analyse it myself to see if it should be kept or returned
Congrats. The Civic is an awesome car and is a brand in itself. Get a thorough inspection done from Honda along with a print out of the service history. Wishing you well and 200k kms of happy motoring. BTW you did what I did back in 2011 and even though it turned a bit expensive for me the Civic never failed to make me happy whenever I looked at it .
sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2023, 17:03   #20
BHPian

Today itself I got it inspected at Honda dealer. The dealer said no issues in going ahead with purchase ( I have the service history sent by Spinny but have asked the dealer to send it too)
The dealer reported following to replacements

1) AC Filter - Rs 1660
2) Fender Clips - Rs 400
3) Engine guard missing
4) LH side splash guard damage

Cost for 3 & 4 is Rs 22000/-

So checked all this with Spinny again. They said (3) and (4) are like accessories. Now not sure if Civic has them by default. (1) Spinny said can help correct

Honda charged ~3K for this check

Any inputs for the above ?

I now plan to get the car checked via local mechanic

Another issue is with headlamp cover which seems to have some scratches which looks glaringly bad when LED lights are on. I wonder how the plastic front can get so many scratches unless some one did that with some rough cloth on purpose. Honda guy said whole LED unit needs to be replaced for 25K !!!

Last edited by Revention : 25th March 2023 at 17:09.
Revention is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2023, 17:08   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Congrats. The Civic is an awesome car and is a brand in itself. Get a thorough inspection done from Honda along with a print out of the service history. Wishing you well and 200k kms of happy motoring. BTW you did what I did back in 2011 and even though it turned a bit expensive for me the Civic never failed to make me happy whenever I looked at it .
Thanks !!!
The seating position itself seems special and though its not known as performance car in its segment (in India) its still fun enough to drive with great economy and low emissions. And the gear shift is very good.
Old 25th March 2023, 17:28   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Today itself I got it inspected at Honda dealer. The dealer said no issues in going ahead with purchase
I hope the odo matches the service records. Honda can ignore such things as they are getting a customer for service etc so getting the records is a must. My Civic had it's odo tampered and the service guys did not mention this till the 3rd or the 4th visit so please look at this.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2023, 17:46   #23
BHPian

Quote:
I hope the odo matches the service records. Honda can ignore such things as they are getting a customer for service etc so getting the records is a must. My Civic had it's odo tampered and the service guys did not mention this till the 3rd or the 4th visit so please look at this.
From the service records I have from Spinny, odo reading seems fine.
Also , I did factor that they may not inspect with full intent of finding faults as they are getting customer for service as you said. But one thing which might indicate some seriousness, would be they agreeing to give anytime warranty for 4th yr. Now they can just sell that too but may they should be more careful incase warranty claim comes and later some chk happens wrt why it skipped the inspection check ? Again I could be wrong here too.
Old 25th March 2023, 17:53   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From the service records I have from Spinny, odo reading seems fine.
I would look at the service records from Honda directly. They have a system where the service history is displayed and you could quickly have a look at the same. If Honda is giving a 4th year warranty probably at a cost then it is good. Before you pay them for the warranty ask for the service records directly from Honda. Definitely take the car to a trusted knowledgeable garage guy and have him check the car. If he has a diagnostic which can scan the OBD for errors that will be great.

Good luck.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 25th March 2023 at 18:06.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2023, 18:08   #25
BHPian

Quote:
I would look at the service records from Honda directly. They have a system where the service history is displayed and you could quickly have a look at the same. If Honda is giving a 4th year warranty probably at a cost then it is good. Before you pay them for the warranty ask for the service records directly from Honda. Definitely take the car to a trusted knowledgeable garage and have him check the car. If he has a diagnostic which can scan the OBD for errors that will be great.

Good luck.
The Spinny service records are screenshots from Honda.
But now I was able to add the car on Honda Connect App on my phone, so can see the service records. The ODO numbers look fine. But going through more details. Every service seems to be at the same dealer.

I will check if the local mechanic has instrument needed to scan OBD.

Thanks for all the tips !
Old 26th March 2023, 08:52   #26
BHPian

Civic for me. A car from a higher segment and gives me a special feeling everytime I sit inside it and that's what matters. It has a lovely seating position. The City is definitely trying hard to bridge the gap though. Apart from the major mechanical differences and superior build quality, there are many little things in the Civic that you'll appreciate once you own it so provided the records are clear and it wasn't abused by the previous owner, I would definitely go for the Civic.

No doubt, the City is a great car but the Civic is simply better in almost every aspect. I was in a very similar dilemma last year.

What you'd get more in the Civic(non-mechanical specs): 8 way power driver seat, a detailed instrument cluster, dual zone air-con, dynamic rear camera parking guidelines, illuminated glovebox and vanity mirrors, height adjustable seatbelts, soft touch plastics in the front half of the car, better sound proofing etc.

Also, I don't understand why is the Honda guy pushing for a headlight assembly replacement. Those scratches most likely can be polished out by any competent detailer. There are plenty of headlight restoration kits available too. Meguiar's, Turtle Wax, Quixx etc.

Last edited by Dead_Pedal : 26th March 2023 at 08:56.
Dead_Pedal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2023, 09:34   #27

Civic is definitely a segment above City and the pleasure of owning a C segment sedan will always be there. You won't regret buying a civic and going through your replies, it looks like your heart is set for civic
At the same time if you need additional safety features with a decent mileage on Banglore roads, City could be your choice. I drive a City ehev on Bangalore busy roads and I can definitely vouch for its drivability and mileage.
Old 26th March 2023, 13:22   #28

Hi Revention, I would very happily like to inform you, that I was recently sailing in the same boat! and I happen to come across a Honda civic 2020 (last batch) ZX cvt petrol top variant which had only around 2000km on the Oddo! After all the due diligence required I finally purchased it and its been about 2 months.
this car was purchased from spinny, and I can give you a lot of information about how you can go about this purchase.
Information about how spinny and Honda warranty works, can help you make your decision. Ive also gone through the spinny ad posted by you, and would like to inform the that engine guard is standard and comes with the car regardless of the variant.
you can never go wrong with the civic, the city though new is a segment below
I plan to write a comprehensive review about my buying experience with them and also how I ended up buying the civic because I fell in love with it. (specifically the one I bought)
spinny won't budge on the price its mostly fixed, however they will honour warranty and fix whatever is wrong with car. all the above mentioned issues by you.
after the first test drive I was sold on the car since It was practically I brand new car and had no issues what so ever, however I wanted to get everything checked by Honda service to which spinny happily obliged if I booked the car by paying 10k(which was refundable). the car checked out with all service record, and the Honda dealer gave me green signal to go ahead with the car tension free, as they were shocked to see the car in such a condition as well. Honda provides 10 year optional warranty which can be purchases , however the condition being the it should be services and maintained at honda only, time to time based on schedule otherwise the warranted stands voided
but more about my car later.
lets focus on getting you your civic, for which I can happily help you if required you can get in touch! I haven't driven or checked out the diesel option yet though.

however I do recommend checking out other new sedans launches as well, as everyones requirements and preferences are different. The new 2023 city, the German twins virtus and slavia and newly launched Verna with a powerful turbo petrol option. along with e20 compliance. since you'll be spending about the same.
For me it has always been Honda, and I'm coming from a 8th gen civic which I still do own!
cheers may you choose the best!
Old 27th March 2023, 17:25   #29
BHPian

Quote:
But now I was able to add the car on Honda Connect App on my phone, so can see the service records. The ODO numbers look fine. But going through more details. Every service seems to be at the same dealer.
And update :
I was able to procure the detailed records using app. And luckily it brought up a dark side of the car. Looks like there was major repair done in Jan 22 related to accident (as there is mention like this)

"CARRY OUT ACCIDENT REPAIR AS PER HDFC - (Body & Paint Work)"

Plus the detailed service records tell what all was replaced or painted (from bumper, glass, headlamps, door repaint etc etc) it was almost a 1.8 lakh plus in repair !!!

Now its strange that this car passed Spinny inspection which is known for ignoring cars involved in accident. Even sad that the Honda service advisor didnt mention this to me at all and said all fine with the car !
Maybe its fine but he should atleast told me that there were accident related repairs.
I immediately returned the car and got the full refund. But this has left a bad taste. Surely no used car :( even though Civic is one awesome car no doubt.
The organised players too have a long way to go when it comes to transparency .
Revention is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 17:33   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxhtxx View Post
Hi Revention, I would very happily like to inform you, that I was recently sailing in the same boat! and I happen to come across a Honda civic 2020 (last batch) ZX cvt petrol top variant which had only around 2000km on the Oddo! After all the due diligence required I finally purchased it and its been about 2 months.
this car was purchased from spinny, and I can give you a lot of information about how you can go about this purchase.
Information about how spinny and Honda warranty works, can help you make your decision. Ive also gone through the spinny ad posted by you, and would like to inform the that engine guard is standard and comes with the car regardless of the variant.
you can never go wrong with the civic, the city though new is a segment below
I plan to write a comprehensive review about my buying experience with them and also how I ended up buying the civic because I fell in love with it. (specifically the one I bought)
spinny won't budge on the price its mostly fixed, however they will honour warranty and fix whatever is wrong with car. all the above mentioned issues by you.
after the first test drive I was sold on the car since It was practically I brand new car and had no issues what so ever, however I wanted to get everything checked by Honda service to which spinny happily obliged if I booked the car by paying 10k(which was refundable). the car checked out with all service record, and the Honda dealer gave me green signal to go ahead with the car tension free, as they were shocked to see the car in such a condition as well. Honda provides 10 year optional warranty which can be purchases , however the condition being the it should be services and maintained at honda only, time to time based on schedule otherwise the warranted stands voided
but more about my car later.
lets focus on getting you your civic, for which I can happily help you if required you can get in touch! I haven't driven or checked out the diesel option yet though.

however I do recommend checking out other new sedans launches as well, as everyones requirements and preferences are different. The new 2023 city, the German twins virtus and slavia and newly launched Verna with a powerful turbo petrol option. along with e20 compliance. since you'll be spending about the same.
For me it has always been Honda, and I'm coming from a 8th gen civic which I still do own!
cheers may you choose the best!
Thanks for reaching out and for offering the help here. Sadly I had to return the car (details in post above).
Btw, they allowed me to take the car to service centre only after payment of full amount, which though now is refunded.

Happy for you that you got such a less used Civic. Civic is awesome no doubt !!! (I even now regret not buying during 2021 when it was stopped and was selling with huge discounts)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks