Team-BHP - Urgent advice required on Pre-owned Ford Ikon
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Sedans (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans/)
-   -   Urgent advice required on Pre-owned Ford Ikon (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans/26531-urgent-advice-required-pre-owned-ford-ikon.html)

Hi Folks,

While searching and TDing for my first car, i happened to visit a Sai service station in Mumbai yesterday. On display was a Ford Ikon Flair 1.3, the details of which are:

Manufactured: April 2004.
Company owned car
Mileage: 18,234 kms.
Comprehensive warranty till May 2008
Stock MRF tubed tires (5) + all tools in good condition.
Ford original Car audio system (tape) + speakers
Power steering, Power windows, central locking.
Minor scratches (3/4 across the body)
No history of accidents/ flooding.
No dentwork/ body work seen.
Original Ford Leather interiors (black) and all mats.
Interiors were all clean and no stains observed
Negligible rust noticed under the body.
All lights, indicators in normal working condition
Brakes were efficient
No drag on steering, smooth transmission.
Vehicle seemed well aligned.
Engine required a little tuning.

Test Drive: Had a test drive for about 15 mins over 3 kms across different road conditions. My colleagues were around. So we were 5 in the car. No squeaks, rattles, unnatural noises noticed. Suspension was quite good and so was the handling. It ate up all the potholes with gusto ! Engine seemed in quite good condition (But it would have been serviced recently.) No black/ blue smoke from the exhaust, no rusting there either.

OK.... So far so good. Now, the asking price is 2.9 L (After a lot of bargaining). They offer a 1 month drive-in for any issues noticed. A 1 year warranty can be bought at 15,000.

What do you folks think of this? Is it a good deal? The car seemed in extremely good condition and my colleagues who TD'd the car with me also felt that it was a good buy.

Please send in your comments/ suggestions.

Thanks,
Jaison

Why not look at a new ikon all together- The amount you are ready to pay, add on the extra through EMI, You have a New car, with 3 years cover- Ikon is a car with expensive parts, So After Sales in this case may cost you more rather than a New Ikon with 3 years cover.

Company warranty is valid only for the First Owner and not transferrable.

You could also look at better options like Logan or Esteem just incase you do find a New car more Apt.

Ikon is due for replacement, its living on a prayer like the esteem.

i wouldnt really advice you go in for an Ikon. its really expensive to maintain. i have quite a few friends of mine who will never buy a fod again thanks to the experience they had with their ikons.

go thru the list of spares and their prices before you make a decision.

It seems to be a nice car but ikons are expensive to maintain especially after 3-4 years. I've seen my friends ikon going to workshop having some or the other problems...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaison1380 (Post 504270)
Hi Folks,

Please send in your comments/ suggestions.

Thanks,
Jaison

Please believe what people have said about Ford. The A.S.S & maintenance is too damn expensive. Just see my signature to see my frustration.

Second hand cars always have their fair share of snags, avoid it if possible. More so if its a FORD, what with its pathetic *** and maintainence issues. Go for a new car if affordabilty is not an issue. If you are hell bent on a second hand car, than look beyond for better viable options.

An outdated model, pre-owned and expensive spares? Please! NO!

i had the flair in 2004

the spares are expensive

sold it in 2004 and got only 3.85.000 used the car from jan 2004 to 19 october 2004 and during this i had alot of problems and decided to sell the car only

so i advise not to buy a ikon

Please take the advice of 5 people before me.
cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfinstein (Post 504284)

Ikon is due for replacement, its living on a prayer like the esteem.

True. You would be better off looking at a newer model.

Quote:

Originally Posted by flipsyde (Post 504320)
i wouldnt really advice you go in for an Ikon. its really expensive to maintain. i have quite a few friends of mine who will never buy a fod again thanks to the experience they had with their ikons.

go thru the list of spares and their prices before you make a decision.

I second this thought as well. The spares are quite expensive as I have witnessed a few friends of mine shell a lot of money on them. Also, from my own experience when I coughed up Rs.1000 to buy just the exhaust trim of the Ikon for my esteem.

but on the other hand i would like to point out that the car was rear ended by a bullet and it took the impact pretty well on a small scratch and the paint quality was very good and the handling to

only if the spare were less expensive it would have been a great car

lol: Fix Or Repair Daily === F.o.r.d

Its isn't a bad deal. Ikon spares are available, though the ones at the workshops (especially for cars being repaired under warranty) are of questionable quality.

Hi: Ford Ikon is a wonderful car to drive..If you like it, just go ahead and buy it. The expensive parts and maintenace is not that bad with ford as it been widely told.I have a ikon and driven it for 40K kms and no major issues so far.
And its a pleasure to drive it compared to the hundais and maruthis.

Prabhu.

Jaison, i have already replied to your PM regarding the same. IMO, the spares costs arent really as expensive as people claim. It may have been so before the parts were localised, but spares from other manufacturers in the C and C- segments arent really all that cheap either. Its just the conceptions which many form based on some incidents and the likes.

All the best, pal.