Team-BHP - Skoda Laura manual or DSG(auto) ?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Sedans (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans/)
-   -   Skoda Laura manual or DSG(auto) ? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans/26810-skoda-laura-manual-dsg-auto.html)

Hi guys, i currently own three year old toyota corolla and i 'll selling it soon to make a way for Skoda Laura .
I took the test drive of both the cars (manual and auto) yesterday but i was not able to decide as to which one i should go for ..

Both the gearbox are fun to shift and the Auto(DSG) is what i like the most but the DSG is available only in the top spec version L&K which is priced at Rs. 18 laks onthe road whereas the Manual is available in the lower spec Elegance version is priced at Rs. 15.8 lacs .

If i decide to go with Manual , i 'll go for the Elegance version as i am happy with the features it offers.

Guys do you think its worth spending the extra 2.2 lacs for the DSG alone ?

Please help me out guys ...
Thanks
Atul .

Although I love the DSG, if it were my money, I'd give it a pass in India. Too many gremlins have been reported and the dealers do not know what to do most of the time.

Also, expect a change of clutch(s) sooner than a manual as these boxes are hard on their clutch.

Save the extra $$ for some nice wheels/tyres and a remap/tuning box. You'll be much happier with that.

The Laura is a lot about its features, some of which are pretty cool. Without them and a manual gearbox......its just a slightly bigger Octavia. I would say you go for the DSG since you anyways like it so much.

@Rt : What problems? My Jiju's car has a good amount of running but no issues yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 512898)
The Laura is a lot about its features, some of which are pretty cool. Without them and a manual gearbox......its just a slightly bigger Octavia. I would say you go for the DSG since you anyways like it so much.

@Rt : What problems? My Jiju's car has a good amount of running but no issues yet.

i second that..+ the auto is also quicker than a manual from 0-100

News from the dealer is that they had an issue with the electronics, possibly the solenoid which is in the gearbox itself. However, this is from more than a year ago, so maybe it was a particular problem with one batch which they sorted out.

Thanks for the replies .

@rtech - yaar could you please elaborate the problem/s with the auto box?

@gto and driven_b - I myself loved the DSG when i drove the car . But the problem is that its available only in the top end version with lotsa features(many i dont find too useful) and the ones that are useful are there in the Elegance trim ....

Features that are extra on the L&K :

1) Front parking Sensors : not an important feature for me .
2) Electric seats with memory : A very useful feature but i 've heard owners facing problems with this and the dealer admitted the same .
3) Sunroof : useless IMO .
4) xenon headlamps : Excellent feature with fantastic visibility at night .
5) Electronic stability control : Dont know much about this feature .
6) Full leather : The elegance has prtly leather and fabric which looks good too .
7) 6 CD changer with 12 speakers that sounds fantastic : Elegance has single Cd .
8) 6 Airbags to Elegance 4 .

Out of these only features that i would miss ais Xenon hadlamps and 6 CD changer with the Audience head unit .

So , that makes it three
1)DSG
2)Xenon and
3)audio system at the cost of Rs. 2.2 lacs + the problems that i might face later like electric seats not working etc ...

Is it worth it going for the L&K ? also guys please tell me what feature no. 5 stands for ?

Thanks
Atul .

Quote:

also guys please tell me what feature no. 5 stands for ?
Electronic stability control is the same as traction control.

Quote:

@rtech - yaar could you please elaborate the problem/s with the auto box?
Already noted down what I've heard about them. Ask the service guys their opinion as well. Not the salesmen, but the mechanics. They will give you a clear idea on it.

As for ESC, it basically senses when the car is reaching the end of its limits and applies the brakes to individual wheels in order to prevent excessive over/under steer which would lead to you losing control of the car. It's a good safety item in a car.

when we bought our laura we were in the same problem to go for which manual or DSG

at that time we had only one variant the L&K

we choose the manual as our running was very high it was going to be driver driven all the time

but i to wanted an auto i just loved it

I am glad to see so many suggestions in such a short time . Thanks to each one of you .

@ manikjeet - i 've heard the electric seats giving problems to some owners which was confirmed from one of the service guys from Skoda . howz your doing ? and how do you rate your overall car reliability ? and what about its overall pros and cons ? thanks .

@rtech - thanks for sharing the news . I 'll def get in touch with the mechanics before finalising .

Quote:

that makes it three
1)DSG
2)Xenon and
3)audio system at the cost of Rs. 2.2 lacs + the problems that i might face later like electric seats not working etc ...

Is it worth it going for the L&K ?
So guys whats your say , is it worth going for the L&k or should i just stick with the Elegance variant and save Rs. 2.2 lacs ?

Thanks
atul .

Quote:

Originally Posted by atul_chabra (Post 513751)
I So guys whats your say , is it worth going for the L&k or should i just stick with the Elegance variant and save Rs. 2.2 lacs ?

2.2 lacs that too without damping or decent wires!

damn my "friends" over a the ICE section would have a ball with 2.2L. Save the 2.2L and I am sure the ICE section will suggest a system that is just as good for half that money.

Why not go for the L&K without the DSG box. You will save a lot of money and still get the other features. Things like the sunroof, xenons and full leather really add up to make the experience even better. If you have the budget, I'd say go for the L&K manual.

Quote:

Electronic stability control is the same as traction control.
No electronic stability control is also known as ESP,it is not the same as traction control,not being a technical guy cannot give proper details but here's a nice video from fifth gear explaining ESP,Traction Control and ABS.

YouTube - Top Gear - Fifth Gear - Bosch ESP

Quote:

Traction control systems, on current production vehicles, are typically (but not necessarily) electro-hydraulic systems designed to prevent loss of traction (and therefore the control of the vehicle) when excessive throttle or steering is applied by the driver. Although similar to Electronic Stability Control systems, Traction Control systems do not have the same goal.
Source:
Electronic Stability Control - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hi Atul,

If the car will be self driven than i would suggest you to get the Dsg. It is superb and very responsive.

Does elegance version comes with Dsg ?

Link.

@Navinji,

L&k laura has 3 way system with 6cd mp3 changer and it is awesome.

Hi Atul,

I bought Laura L&K Manual a month ago. In Bangalore it is 19laks+. I was actually planning to buy Civic but liked Laura so much better that I upped my budget and wanted to buy laura elegance, but finally bought L&K and it was a fantastic decision.

I suggest definitely go for the L&K and not the elegance. Like GTO said Laura is all about creature comforts and for the small difference of 2Laks u get loads in L&K.

Elegance has a single-CD player without AUX-IN and not easy to 'enhance' the ICE especially because of its on-board computer. I love my music. The upgrade from elegance to L&K seemed like a good 'value for money'. I got the following for a difference of 1.7Lakh (on road price)
1. Full leather (good to have) part leather also looks good.
2. Front parking sensors (very good to have - while parking in basements with tons of pillars)
3. Electric seats with memory (Very useful)
4. Sunroof (Initially thought no big deal - but my family loves it)
5. Electronic Stability Control (yet to see what it does :-)
6. Xenon (Initially thought no big deal - but car looks awesome!!!)
7. Steering audio controls (Very good to have - addicted now)
8. 6-CD MP3 player (Very good)
9. AUX-IN (Very good)
10. 6 airbags as against 4 (Very good)
11. I wanted black color which is not there in elegance.
12. Different alloy design

So between the L&K and elegance, definitely L&K.

Between Manual and DSG, its always manual for me. Even if the DSG can read my mind and fly the car. In fact even the manual tranny reads my mind :-)