Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2007, 22:58   #1
BHPian

SX4 vs Sonata

I know its sounds a weird title but thats the truth. My Santro is four year old and have been toying with the idea of an upgrade as I am bored with her. I love the car. I have driven her 26000 kms in 4 years, which is 6500 kms/year or 540 kms/month or 18 kms/day , so you get the idea of my car usage as most of my time is spent on bikes. Now my Jeep is gonna rob some percentage of my office travel.

The car is used mostly for family outings etc. My office is just 5 kms away which is going to change soon as I might have to drive 20 - 25 kms a day as my office might shift in next 3-4 months.

Now, I was toying with the idea of SX4 bcos of the all round value for money with ABS and Air bag plus decent performance. This is in the 6.5 bracket. So my calculation was, carwale.com suggests 2.9 as my resale value but the market figure tell me I wont get anything more than 2.5 (need your thoughts here also)so I might have to fork out 4 lakhs which is fair enough with 2 lakhs in cash and 2 lakhs in loan. Car is in very good Mechanical condition (up-to-date service record) need two new tyres and paint touch up...thats all.

Now, I was always fascinated by Sonata (the old model) and had a fetish for it but I can never afford it. Yesterday, my friends popped this million dollar question...dude knowing your fetish why dont you buy a second hand good condition Sonata?

If you get a Sonata which has done 30-50k mileage it should be as good as any car and Sonata's are known for its quality and the luxury is best and it aint too far behind in technology. The family will be happy bla bla bla

So now you know my problem? What are the pros and cons of me choosing a good second hand Sonata over a SX4 or Verna (little above budget)? I am also thinking of maintenance cost etc...

Your views
Old 30th July 2007, 23:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest the sx4 here,first of all it being a brand new car while the sonata being secong-hand,a new car feeling just cannot be matched.

Next even though the sonata is from hyundai the golden rule while buying second hand vehicles is not going in for discontinued vehicles.And yes being D segment maintainance should be higher than the sx4 which is in warranty.

Now between the verna and the sx4 that's a different bit and maybe others could chip in here,but my choice would be if petrol then sx4 and if diesel then verna.However also depends on how long you can wait for the new car,since you would be able to get the verna delivered earlier than the sx4
Old 30th July 2007, 23:22   #3
BHPian

Rahul, appreciate it...but I understand the new car feel but a Sonata feel is way too different than a new car feel of SX4 with the Sonata's luxurious seating space etc...I think it outlcasses it. Though it discontinued knowing its Hyundai dont think spare parts are a problem

Since I looking max of 40 kms per day I dont see a diesel a good option...and waiting is not a problem...i am in no hurry
Old 30th July 2007, 23:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
Sonata feel is way too different than a new car feel of SX4 with the Sonata's luxurious seating space etc...I think it outlcasses it.
The feeling of class is actually very subjective. Respecting that you had fascination for this car when it was launched, but now when you see one are you fascinated? Many feel that the Sonata is too pretentious a car. It tries to be something else. Loads of space all right, but have you seen how good use of that space has been made.

On the other hand the SX4 might not win many beauty pageants, but thats the direction modern design is taking (like it or not). It looks to be much more solid.
Old 30th July 2007, 23:42   #5
BHPian

Ram...

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
Rahul, appreciate it...but I understand the new car feel but a Sonata feel is way too different than a new car feel of SX4 with the Sonata's luxurious seating space etc...I think it outlcasses it. Though it discontinued knowing its Hyundai dont think spare parts are a problem

Since I looking max of 40 kms per day I dont see a diesel a good option...and waiting is not a problem...i am in no hurry
Ram... Sonata? Not a bad car though! But why do you want to go for a 2nd hand D segment car?

Ask yourself these questions before you go for it.

*Will i get the spares? (Check with Hyundai again)

* Is Hyundai going to RIP me with service bills for having a D segment car?

* Would i have peace of mind?

* Mind me ! I am taking a loan for 2 lakhs.

I think the FE is any where between 9 - 11 in the city. To drive that car in chennai is not a breeze (my opinion).

If i were you, i would simply not buy that Sonata. Do the math, think thrice before you do this.

My vote would be for SX4 !

Cheers,
Jai...
Old 30th July 2007, 23:54   #6
Senior - BHPian

9-11 FE in a Sonata... you gotta be kidding me . The elantra petrol had a 7-8km/l FE in the City. The Sonata would be even lower than that - more like 5-6.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 30th July 2007 at 23:55.
Old 31st July 2007, 00:12   #7
BHPian

Yup factor in the mileage as well as the cost of service and spares.
Old 31st July 2007, 01:08   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
The feeling of class is actually very subjective. Respecting that you had fascination for this car when it was launched, but now when you see one are you fascinated? Many feel that the Sonata is too pretentious a car. It tries to be something else. Loads of space all right, but have you seen how good use of that space has been made.

On the other hand the SX4 might not win many beauty pageants, but thats the direction modern design is taking (like it or not). It looks to be much more solid.

1100D, you got to be more accommodative here. He likes the sonata, so be it, why change that perception. I too love the old sonata, gives you the marlon brando look. And it comes cheap, real cheap. ram, i would take the sonata any day for a new SX4 that too at such a give away price.
cheers
Old 31st July 2007, 01:39   #9
Senior - BHPian

There's something about the old sonata that I like too... maybe the Jag like styling . IMHO its the best designed hyundai ever.
Old 31st July 2007, 03:00   #10
BHPian

Ram, your mind says sx4 but the heart says Sonata. Since you are going to be drving more than what you are driving now, the sonata with its reputation of a guzzler ( well not exactly in those words ) is likely to burn a hole in your pocket faster.

And not to forget, its a used car. So, its almost time for all worn out parts to be replaced. ( unless you get a real real good car )

If I were in your shoes, close your eyes and wait for the Sx4 ( indefintely ) !!!
Old 31st July 2007, 09:13   #11
Senior - BHPian

hi ram..

expect on the fuel economy part.. the sonata will be almost similar to the sx4 in terms of service and maintance..

dont expect more than 7-8 from the s20/ gold and 4-6 from the v6

my v6 gives me an avg of 6 in the city.. but havent spent a pie from the last 2 years on it expect the service consumables.. found the servicing costs roughly as same as my nhc..

am throughly happy with my sonata.. was very happy with my previous ones too.. would gladly suggest u to go in for it.. if u get a good 2nd v6 and dont mind the low mileage.. then go for it.. why am i suggestin the v6? drive one and u'll know

take care bro.. hope this helps..

aadix
Old 31st July 2007, 09:40   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

ultimately it is a question of your finances. mileage is something an enthusiast can live with.. but the service bills and accident repairs can really hurt if you are on tight budget (month to month life style)

as long as you are buying from a known owner, 2nd hand stuff etc is a good option esp when you are comparing cars that are so different in class. go for sonata if u got extra change (not for buying, not for mileage, but for servicing and accidental repairs)

good luck.
Old 31st July 2007, 10:32   #13
Senior - BHPian

well -the sonata has some really nice lines- smooth and I love it. Go for it if your hear really yearns man! I am not going to put down the SX4 - but the sonata is lovely - powerful (have driven a gold) and really spacious. Got a lovely music system to boot as well.
Old 31st July 2007, 10:48   #14
Senior - BHPian

Firtstly, Ram would suggest you that go for a new car, and if you are looking in the range of 6 lakhs you could also try to go for a diesel by stretching your budget(Verna, FIesta, Indigo)

Used Sonata: With about 50k kms on odo, definately will have some maintainece work coming up, like Suspensions, tyres etc (Might be)

I remember talking to a guy who used to work for Hyundai(Service dept) in bangalore... he had mentioned that he had got lots of complaints(engine related) from Sonata's which had done 50k+ kms. dont know so be sure before making the purchase.
btw it definately it is a luxurious car

If you are going for a new car and that to a diesel, then you would be among those who dont feel bad when they are tanking up(about 1300 bucks for a full tank approx)

Good luck

OT Ram i think you are a part of "Madras Bulls"?? Am part of "RTMC".
Old 31st July 2007, 10:54   #15
Senior - BHPian

Logan?
Fiesta/Fusion D?

40km a day + occasional trips is enough to warrant a diesel if you keep it for four years. and all said, a new car is a new car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks