Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2007, 18:54   #1
Senior - BHPian

Civic VS Skoda Rider VS Skoda Tdi

Hey Guys,
Im in a little bit of confusion. I desperately need help on this front. Im toying the idea to buy a new car for myself. Although i'm leaning towards the Civic, my Dad is insisting on the Skoda Tdi or Rider. Moreover, 80% of my friends have also suggested Skoda.
Now my main criteria's under consideration are:
1) Comfort
2) Safety
3) Fuel Efficiency
4) A hassle-free car
5) Space
6) Reliability

I've driven both the cars, and i like both. Its just that i'm unable to decide which one to put my money on.
So whats it gonna be??

Thanks in Advance.
X
Old 31st July 2007, 20:06   #2
BHPian

have not driven skoda though ,but read reviews enough for civic and skoda. i myself have deciced to go for civic as it suits OVERALL and is the latest.
Old 1st August 2007, 13:05   #3
Senior - BHPian

True. Thats one of the prime reasons i like the Civic. Its more stylish than the Skoda, which IMO looks a little dated now.
Old 1st August 2007, 13:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

1) Comfort - Civic may be slightly better here.
2) Safety - Skoda build is supposedly better. But with the Rider you don't get ABS, Airbags (IIRC). I'd go with Civic.
3) Fuel Efficiency - Skoda TDi. Civic better than TPi
4) A hassle-free car - Guess it all depends on maintenance and somewhat on luck.
5) Space - Civic
6) Reliability - Honda possibly.
Old 1st August 2007, 13:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

Civic over the Skoda TPi any day. Ofcourse if you bring in the vRS vs the Civic, its a completely different ballgame .
Old 1st August 2007, 13:59   #6

Civic is da best buddy.. go for it...
Old 1st August 2007, 14:21   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

X-Machine, if your previous posts are anything to go by, you will surely modify it.

I say go for the Civic. Its a fantastic all-rounder of a machine which has the right balance of looks, ride quality, handling, power and space. Plus...its got fantastic mod potential.

I dont mean to confuse you but can you stretch your budget to the RS level? If you can, then its a no-brainer for an enthusiast.
Old 1st August 2007, 14:26   #8
BHPian

Hmm, I'd lean towards the civic as well.
Old 1st August 2007, 15:28   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey,
1) Comfort - the Skoda has better ride
2) Safety - The Civic and the Skoda Petrol are evenly matched. The diesel doesn't come with ABS in the rider trim.
3) Fuel Efficiency - Skoda Diesel
4) A hassle-free car - Skoda has a 3 year maintainance plan. But Civic should be more reliable.
5) Space - Civic. But getting into the rear seats is a pain. Also, tall drivers may have to put the seat fully behind in the Civic.
6) Reliability - Civic.
Old 1st August 2007, 17:05   #10
BHPian

U re buying a New car go for civic as skoda would be too outdated to buy today comparatively to civic which is as futuristic ,only thing if you have any mileage reasons u might look at skoda but if not then you would not like to own a skoda in 2009 which will be too outdated by then but civic would still be able to compete with the cars of those times
Old 2nd August 2007, 18:19   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
X-Machine, if your previous posts are anything to go by, you will surely modify it.
Hey GTO, Frankly speaking, i am not looking at any sort of Engine Mods at all on this car. Tired of the exhaust roar.
Im just looking at minor exterior mods like:
Civic & Rider: 17" wheels, K&N & Xenons.
Skoda Tdi: Pete's Tuning Box, 17" wheels & Xenons.

Quote:
I say go for the Civic. Its a fantastic all-rounder of a machine which has the right balance of looks, ride quality, handling, power and space. Plus...its got fantastic mod potential.
Im sure it is an all-rounder. All my Dad is against is its safety. That's the prime reason he want me to buy a Skoda.

Quote:
I dont mean to confuse you but can you stretch your budget to the RS level? If you can, then its a no-brainer for an enthusiast.
I'd love to. But i really can't stretch it that much. We men have to also look at 'non-auto' related expenses.

Quote:
5) Space - Civic. But getting into the rear seats is a pain. Also, tall drivers may have to put the seat fully behind in the Civic
Hey Lambo, thanks for that point. I was'nt very comfortable while driving it. I have not sat on the rear though. Will be Test driving both with my Dad tommorow. Will keep that in mind.

Quote:
U re buying a New car go for civic as skoda would be too outdated to buy today comparatively to civic which is as futuristic ,only thing if you have any mileage reasons u might look at skoda but if not then you would not like to own a skoda in 2009 which will be too outdated by then but civic would still be able to compete with the cars of those times
Thanks bro. Good point.

Also one more thing i forgot to add in my earlier post. Black is the only color im going in for. No two ways about it. And i feel Civic looks hotter in Black. Is it?

X

Last edited by X-Machine : 2nd August 2007 at 18:28.
Old 2nd August 2007, 18:55   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And i feel Civic looks hotter in Black. Is it?
Have a look at this thread, and you will be running to the nearest Honda dealership. Cheque in hand et all!
Old 2nd August 2007, 18:59   #13
Senior - BHPian

Civic Black is SEXY !! Just make sure you maintain it well.

And what was the issue with Civic's safety? You mean its not as solidly built as a Skoda??
Old 2nd August 2007, 19:11   #14
Team-BHP Support

Petrol- Civic, nothing else will do.

Diesel- Optra Magnum. (octavia is well past her good old days)
Old 2nd August 2007, 19:19   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Petrol- Civic, nothing else will do.

Diesel- Optra Magnum. (octavia is well past her good old days)
petrol : why not rider? cheaper it should be

diesel: magnum ( its an elantra)

i would say get the lastest fashion statement Civic. I think someone should post good pix so that he can make up his mind by this weekend

Most Viewed