Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2007, 19:09   #1
Senior - BHPian

Meri waali Touring Gaddi!

The time has now come for me to choose a car. My wishlist goes something like this:

a. Cost: ~6L
b. Fuel: Diesel. With the car expected to easily clock 500+km a month on highways, 1000+km in city, this is a no brainer.
c. Driveability: High. I would prefer a light steering and clutch, almost like the Alto The Indica Xeta just about makes the cut. Those are the two cars i've driven extensively - want something mom/sis/bhabhi can drive without a thought. Something like the SUVs would *prolly* not fit that bill. Yes, self driven all the way.
d. Good turning radius - My 'burb needs tight driving skills to negotiate and park the crowded streets.
e. Good handling - Most of my jaunts would be off to hills and precise steering would be helpful.
f. Mileage: INR 3/km is my mental barrier. Ideally something like 2-2.5/km is perfect, like the Swift diesel guys are reporting.
g. Robustness: My place has some extremely bad roads. So would my touring - Manali Leh ahoy - I feel unsafe taking a CNG car there!
h. Comfort: This car should be comfy since I'd commute even upto 100 km a day on heavy days! Further, whenever I'd go for tours, it should be comfortable for my mom (62 years). One Leh level trip a year it should take, for the next five years easily! Or North East for that matter.
i. Breakdown assistance: Would be helpful. Please suggest cos which have an India wide network/service. MUL/Hyundai/Tata come to mind.
j. Speeds: Not really my interest. Being a paranoid biker, I won't really be venturing too far into three digits. A car that's peppy enough in the roll-ons, would be decent for city traffic. I'm not an expressway or traffic light drag freak - would much rather want it to do 60+ happily on potholed streets (like Andheri East/Powai Vihar!!)
k. Lastly, resale isn't really on my mind - a fun car to drive for four-five years (min) would have already done its duty. But I would want a car for which I don't have to lose peace of mind sourcing spares - just put in the workshop, and pick up later. Waiting for spares is a nono.

How do cars of this segment match up on these criteria? The swift diesel or Indigo TDI seem juicy as of now! What would y'all say?

/Apologies, but no test rides started as of now - just thinking out aloud in parallel - god bless 2 month waiting periods
//How often (in bumper to bumper traffic) does the turbocharger actually come in with all that torque?

Last edited by phamilyman : 6th August 2007 at 19:17. Reason: Font tags mess, re-read the posting FAQ!!
Old 6th August 2007, 19:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

For your range and needs, Swift diesel fits the bill well. But since you are travelling a lot on highways also it is better off to buy a car with a boot, in this case Indigo TDI.
Old 6th August 2007, 19:26   #3
Team-BHP Support

Swift diesel is peppier and more exciting to drive. The Tata indigo is more comfortable and big to sit in.
So choose what appeals you more. Back seat comfort, boot or Good nice peppy refined engine?
Old 6th August 2007, 19:31   #4
Senior - BHPian

I would say choose between Indigo and Logan D. Swift will be too cramped and uncomfortable for your 62 yr mom to travel in. Logan i guess has better driveability of the two. Also, the ride quality of Logan is exemplary.
Old 6th August 2007, 19:40   #5
Senior - BHPian

Already seniors have commented, I feel the samething, you need to decide between Indigo/Logan Diesel.

Logan and Indigo D for best comfortable spacious car.

Swift D for peppy/easy to drive and MUL image.

I suggest Logan or Indigo D because hatchbacks like Getz/Swift suitable only for city use the reason on highway use its better if its sedan (more space/comfort/safe/stability etc) so choose between Logan and Indigo, They are very good entry level sedans avlable as of now.

Since you have mentioned road is bad you will be very comfortable in bad roads when you are in Indigo or Logan. Swift is not so good in bad roads makes lot of noice.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 6th August 2007, 21:24   #6
Team-BHP Support

My votes!

a. Cost: ~6L- b. Fuel- Diesel: Indigo TDi, Logan DCi and Swift DDiS

c. Driveability: Swift DDiS> Logan dCi> Indigo.
d. Good turning radius- Swift DDiS (4.7m)< Indigo (5m)<Logan (5.25m)
e. Good handling- Swift DDiS> LogandCi> Indigo.

f. Mileage: All the cars are frugal and as you have said Swift DDiS is well within your expectations.
g. Robustness: Logan dCi> Indigo> Swift DDiS. (swift prone to rattles)
h. Comfort: Logan dCi> Indigo> Swift DDiS (Space wise)

i. Breakdown assistance: Swift DDiS> Indigo> Logan dCi (Nothing compares to Maruti in this have. Have wonderful personal experiences)
j. Speeds: Swift> Indigo> Logan
k. Lastly, resale isn't really on my mind - Dont think these cars will make you wait for parts. But Mahindra- renault is yet to prove themselves on that front.

How often (in bumper to bumper traffic) does the turbocharger actually come in with all that torque?
Once you get used to the car- very often!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 6th August 2007 at 21:29.
Old 7th August 2007, 00:26   #7
Team-BHP Support

abbaaaaa... arre yaar to yun bol naa ki tujhe Swift Diesel chahiye

(Transliteration: Hmmm... so why don't you say you need a Swift Diesel)

Edit: On a more serious note, you won't be able to play that phamily role much with a swift. at least not with your phamily of 4-5 adults and their host of bakasias. not enough space for luggage, you see...

Psst... if you ask me, I would have chosen the new Indigo Diesel. Big roomy car, lot of space and bullet-proof reliability (I don't want to argue this point but take it at face value if you can... I know). Of course, it won't have that featherlite clutch, small turning radius etc...

Edit 2: I just read your post again. Featherlite clutch (or whatever you called it) is ok, but Alto? Have you experienced the Alto clutch at its full glory? To the unsuspecting it can strike back like a venomous cobra.

Last edited by Zappo : 7th August 2007 at 00:36.
Old 7th August 2007, 01:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

Doesn't the Indigo Marina have the Dicor engine? If yes, then there is nothing of that sort for your money.
Old 7th August 2007, 01:33   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Doesn't the Indigo Marina have the Dicor engine? If yes, then there is nothing of that sort for your money.
Problem is none of these cars will meet his needs for a lightweight vehicle with feather touch clutch, small turning radius and such things... he wants something that his mom, sis and everyone else can easily drive. He wants something like an alto... A Marina will be humongous by comparison.
Old 7th August 2007, 03:48   #10
Senior - BHPian

But he will also be doing long drives with family, and he also mentioned Leh and Ladakh, I figure the car has to be robust able to go there with the load. Moreover longdrives on Alto Santro gets quite tedious.
Old 7th August 2007, 10:21   #11
Senior - BHPian

Thanks everyone. Interesting inputs so far.
Maybe the word featherlite was inappropriate. But it was just my experience of 1km in clutch-go traffic of Indigo versus mom's Alto that I've taken for ~100km drives.

In our Xeta CNG, a drive to Chandigarh turned into a nuisance because luggage was ALL over! So, while the rest of tbhp accolades for Swift diesel are encouraging, its rear seat space and dislike for bad roads isn't too encouraging. Indigo is good, and I'm just worried about it not having ABS/airbags! Though with both, ground clearance worries me.

Yesterday, a telephone conversation with a Gypsy friend, threw up two interesting choices. Gypsy and Bolero. The gent's mother, of a suitably advanced age, liked the Gypsy and the high driving position. Its absence of AC/PS worries me though. Because that's just additional cost. What do long term gypsy/bolero owners say about my requirements, and their families' driving experience with the vehicles? And their exp in parking/navigating narrow roads.

Thanks again to everyone.
Old 7th August 2007, 10:53   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Yesterday, a telephone conversation with a Gypsy friend, threw up two interesting choices. Gypsy and Bolero. The gent's mother, of a suitably advanced age, liked the Gypsy and the high driving position. Its absence of AC/PS worries me though. Because that's just additional cost. What do long term gypsy/bolero owners say about my requirements, and their families' driving experience with the vehicles? And their exp in parking/navigating narrow roads.

Thanks again to everyone.
Bolero is still a pretty rustic vehicle although it is definitely roomier than most small cars, rugged and within your budget. Suspension is not great too.

Gypsy gulps up petrol, may not suit your frugal habits. And very uncomfortable suspension although it will suit your OTR driving needs. In any case, you must try to get a hardtop version (is it available).
Old 7th August 2007, 11:38   #13
BHPian

Stretching ur budget and getting the verna would be perfect....Tht car is made for munching miles....if not then it has to be the swift diesel. All the parameters u mentioned regarding drivability,handling,turning radius are covered by the swift...just the space might be a lil issue compared to the logan and teh indigo.....I'd strongly recommend the swift....
Old 7th August 2007, 11:46   #14
Senior - BHPian

BalenoPower:
A koshun to you and to others who've taken part/seen motorsports - how does the swift hold up in rallies in India? I know that stock swift does rallies abroad, but the Indian one? I'm concerned about GC and rattles!

Further,
any news of the swift sedan launching? Or of a swift ZDi with airbags/EBS?
And any date on the Indigo with the multijet engine? Or any hopes of it coming with ABS/airbags? (sorry but i'm a pretty paranoid android!!)
Old 7th August 2007, 12:36   #15
BHPian

The new Indigo LX should come with the ABS but no airbags on the indian version -- thats for the export markets only
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks