Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2007, 22:09   #61
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations anant on your decision, its a wonderful car the Laura and has impressive features, make sure you take warranty since servicing aint cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakvrao View Post
How would you define the segments?
Its very simple, the Laura and Optra measure quite similar, the Accord is much much longer. A segment is defined by its lenght and engine capacity. Both are Less then 2.0, the Accord is a 2.4 & 3.0.

Yes the Contessa qualifies to be a D segmenter due to engine being a 1.8 and its lenght being like a D segmenters.
Old 21st August 2007, 22:11   #62
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Congratulations anant on your decision, its a wonderful car the Laura and has impressive features, make sure you take warranty since servicing aint cheap.

Its very simple, the Laura and Optra measure quite similar, the Accord is much much longer. A segment is defined by its lenght and engine capacity. Both are Less then 2.0, the Accord is a 2.4 & 3.0.

Yes the Contessa qualifies to be a D segmenter due to engine being a 1.8 and its lenght being like a D segmenters.
Soo the Accord is in a better class than the C class and the 3 series?

Last edited by deepakvrao : 21st August 2007 at 22:18.
Old 21st August 2007, 22:33   #63
BHPian

Laura All the WAY..!!

Between.. Laura and Magnum.. Laura definitely..
Nice Choice mate..

IMO.. these cars cannot be compared.. but then.. i haven't driven any of these two.
Old 22nd August 2007, 00:59   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yup, its damn funny how the government classifies all the segments, but then they have put a class in which the C-Class, Accord all fit in and thats D+, heck even a E comes in that class.
Old 22nd August 2007, 01:13   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is certainly better than the current C-Class, no idea about the current 3, haven't been in one yet.
Old 22nd August 2007, 01:24   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
It is certainly better than the current C-Class, no idea about the current 3, haven't been in one yet.
Current 3 is better then Accord & C Class by miles, though the run flats degrade the ride quality to a certain extent. But the handling & power of the 325i is
Old 22nd August 2007, 08:27   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

I know it must be tough to make up your mind on this one!! I have been trying to find out why you are not interested in Accord,etc. ;-)

Okay, to make life more difficult for you here are few considerations:
1. You might want to consider buying L&K and not elegance. Check the following thread (post #15)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...-dsg-auto.html

Elegance might be more reliable as it comes with fewer gadgets - expect a terrible ICE (single MP3 CD player without AUX-IN). Very difficult if not impossible to upgrade.

2. I heard Elegance is going to come with DSG soon. I prefer MT but DSG is supposed to be WOW. So if you decide to stick to Elegance version, find out if it is worth waiting for the DSG. I can tell you even the MT is a song to drive in the congested city traffic.

Good luck with your shopping.
Old 22nd August 2007, 09:21   #68
Senior - BHPian

Anant I am not sure what issues Laura has as I have not heard of any. My friends cousin has one and hes had no issues.

Maybe you can ask the dealer itself that you have heard there are lot of issues with the car and he might spill the beans if any.

I saw the 2 magnums on the road on Sunday for the first time and I was like "Keeerrrr Thooo" this is the Magnum? They should have just called it the Optra. (The print ads make the car look longer than it is)

Magnum is not a head turner and should not and cannot be considered as a upgrade from the octy in terms of looks. only enthusiasts would know its a far better engine etc.

But for snob value and to impress your relatives and friends the LAURA it is.

Good choice!!! Just get it peted. If you know what I mean.
Old 22nd August 2007, 18:23   #69
BHPian

Quote:
I guess everyone is getting confused about equating every car is a category / segment to be equal. The price range of the lowest D segment is probably the optra and the highest is the Laura. When Merc brings in the A series and prices it similar to a Civic, it is NOT in the Civic cateogry/segment, but still in the Swift/Getz segment probably. The price range between the cheapest and the most expensive in a particular segment could be high. It does not mean that you can start saying that the maruti 800 is comparable to the Austin Mini..
Old 22nd August 2007, 19:14   #70

Thanks guys .Though i 've decided to buy a Laura but i am still waiting for the actual owner reviews . Had a word with couple of Laura owners in the service centre and they were very impressed with the car and didnt report any faults or issues ...

Till now everything seems going the right way .. will keep you guys updated .
Old 23rd August 2007, 10:32   #71
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
A segment is defined by its lenght and engine capacity.
The industry also segregates on price.

Quote:
The price range of the lowest D segment is probably the optra and the highest is the Laura.
I wouldnt count the Optra into the D segment. At best, it is a part of the C+ segment.
Old 2nd October 2007, 14:56   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I know it must be tough to make up your mind on this one!! I have been trying to find out why you are not interested in Accord,etc. ;-)

Okay, to make life more difficult for you here are few considerations:
1. You might want to consider buying L&K and not elegance. Check the following thread (post #15)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...-dsg-auto.html

Elegance might be more reliable as it comes with fewer gadgets - expect a terrible ICE (single MP3 CD player without AUX-IN). Very difficult if not impossible to upgrade.

2. I heard Elegance is going to come with DSG soon. I prefer MT but DSG is supposed to be WOW. So if you decide to stick to Elegance version, find out if it is worth waiting for the DSG. I can tell you even the MT is a song to drive in the congested city traffic.

Good luck with your shopping.

Is there a way to find out if Elegance is going to come with DSG and when?

I test drove the Laura L&K DSG today and was impressed by the DSG. However, I am really not interested in Sun/Moon roof etc.

Please tell me if there is any confirmed news on Elegance with DSG.

And what about ESP? I wished ESP was offered on Elegance rather than Cruise Control....
Old 8th October 2007, 10:25   #73
BHPian

@GTO :- I don't think putting Optra in the entry D segment is wrong. The car has almost all the features most D segment cars has.

I have always felt comparing Laura and Magnum makes no sense, its pretty much like comparing a C class with other C segment cars simply cos they come in same segment.

I personally would go for the Magnum cos of personal reasons, like performance, comfort and total cost of ownership. Price of the Laura also makes me go blind on all the extra features it has. But for snob value and to tell the people that u r rich.......go for Laura! :P

@Anant :- Even I heard some ppl complain about the issues with Laura.....the very reason why they came up with new *** offers. A small tip, when asking about the car to someone who has brought the car ony sometime back....you might not get the clear picture as the excitement of the new car would cover the issues that the car might have.
Old 9th October 2007, 19:03   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by anant.arora View Post
Thanks guys .Though i 've decided to buy a Laura but i am still waiting for the actual owner reviews . Had a word with couple of Laura owners in the service centre and they were very impressed with the car and didnt report any faults or issues ...

Till now everything seems going the right way .. will keep you guys updated .
Do not forget to check on the aftersales spend, I have heard you are always charged high and is extremely costly to maintain with the current skoda network.Maybe you can take some assurance on servicing cost from them the way chevy offers (Rs 27000 odd for 3 years).
Old 31st October 2007, 14:51   #75

Hi Guys, I have a feeling Magnum re-sale wont be as mad as the Optra Petrol sold Earlier. After using it for 3 years you should be able to sell it for 5-6 lacs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks