Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2007, 22:42   #1
Senior - BHPian

Optra Magnum "Petrol or Diesel"

Hi guys
I have some questions and would be happy if someone could answer my doubts
Car Optra Magnum (Petrol) Vs Optra Magnum(Diesel)

I am currently driving a Hyundai Accent (Petrol) 2000 model. Though the car has given me years of trouble free service, now it is showing signs of age. So I have decided to purchase an Optra Magnum but am not able to decide between either the Petrol or Diesel options that are available. Apart from the difference in the cost of the two variants which is approx 1.40Lac (the diesel obviously being more expensive) and as I am deciding on the top end of both the variants with all the frills, I am in a fix.
Though my monthly driving is not much about 1000-1200 Kms per month so buying the diesel would not be that much of a cost saving in terms of saving the fuel costs, but I am really impressed with the pickup of the diesel variant which I can simply say is SUPERB. At the same time I think that the maintenance costs for all diesel engines are much more expensive that their petrol counterparts. As I have kept my present car for almost 7 years I plan to keep this car for atleast 5-6 years so cannot afford to spend 2 to 3 times the money on diesel engine maintenance than what it would cost to maintain a petrol car.
Further like a petrol car starts showing signs of age (like rattling, squeaking, and small small noises from the car after 3-4 years) is the same case with diesel or is it different.
So give you guys can give me valuable advise as to what to buy.

I want to buy the diesel but do not want to regret it later on in the future by paying loads of hard cash for repair and maintainence. At the same time if it does not cost a fortune to maintain a diesel car I do not want to deprive myself of the pleasure of a car that is so good in pickup which I can simply say is like a “BULLET OUT OF A MAGNUM” (a handgun)
Old 20th August 2007, 23:25   #2
Team-BHP Support

If you have seen 'Chevrolet promise', the total difference in costs of service for the Optra magnum diesel over the petrol is about 9k rupees more for the diesel.

9k rupees for 3 years old not that big a disadvantage. However, after the period is over, diesel could have more maintainence compared to petrol.
Old 21st August 2007, 00:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

The Diesel Engine of the Optra is much much better in tech, power & FE the the Petrol, go for the diesel. The Maintainance wont be much, only thing is diesel will drink less fuel but eat more tyres or is it?
Old 21st August 2007, 00:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
diesel will drink less fuel but eat more tyres or is it?
Got my magnum today and it was really hard to drive slowly. This particular running in is going to be tough!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks