Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2007, 09:47   #1
Senior - BHPian

Optra Magnum diesel

Folks-
My uncle's planning on buying a Magnum Diesel and he threw me a couple of questions that I felt best to ask you all.

Q1. Has the chassis / suspension of the Magnum been changed to accommodate the diesel engine?
-Considering the weight difference between the petrol and diesel - this would roughly equate to a higher wear and tear on the front wheels.

Q2. The dealer claimed that the car has all four independent suspension- True / False.

Q3. The dealer said that because this is a "powerful" engine - the clutch needs to be released slowly - in this case - wont this lead to a premature clutch burn out?

Thanks!
Old 28th August 2007, 09:59   #2
BHPian

Madan,
I took a TD of Magnum D some time last month at German Motors, Calicut. The sales guy was not too informative, however I will share some answers.
1. I asked him the same question and he responded that the chasis is the same, the front suspension is different. Generally for diesel cars the friont tyres wear out faster than the petrol siblings.
2.The car has independent suspension on all the wheels - He claimed that this is the only car that has independent suspension on all the wheels ! I pointed out to my Accent and told him that my car has one too !..
3.Never asked him, during the TD, I found that with the huge torque of the car it tends to move fast (jerks) if not released slowly.
Old 28th August 2007, 10:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilashvk View Post
Madan,

3.Never asked him, during the TD, I found that with the huge torque of the car it tends to move fast (jerks) if not released slowly.
yup - my uncle felt the same thing- that when you release the clutch fast- the car stalls. Can this be an issue with the driving style or machine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilashvk View Post
1. I asked him the same question and he responded that the chasis is the same, the front suspension is different. Generally for diesel cars the friont tyres wear out faster than the petrol siblings.
In the first indica version - they had not altered the suspension - hence the wear and tear was higher in the front. later models the suspension was changed to handle and more evenly spread out the weight to ensure lesser strain.

Yes- diesel engines are heavier - hence - dont they make these changes?
Old 28th August 2007, 10:24   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Yes- diesel engines are heavier - hence - dont they make these changes?
This is just my feeling as i am not an expert on this.
Manufacturers can change/strengthen the suspension to withstand the heavier engine and hence reduce the damages to the suspension and also the uneven wear of tyre. But the weight has to go to the tyres right? Hence the tyre will wear out fast evenly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks