Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is best from a Rear Seat, economy and maintenance perspective ?
Getz Prime 1.1 23 33.82%
Swift Lxi 12 17.65%
Wagon R Duo 9 13.24%
Indica Turbo 33 48.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2007, 11:39   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
i would say the ESTEEM.

it comes iwth a factory fit CNG KIT. That takes care of your fuel cost.

and secondly since you mentioned it will be primarily chaufered. So the back seat in the esteem is nice too.

so i think its the Old esteem.
even flair is available with company fitted CNG kit.
Old 31st August 2007, 12:06   #32
BHPian

Folks
Thanks so much for the overwhelming response! The perspectives have been fantastic. Pollwise the Indica is leading
Does Esteem come with factory fitted CNG option - hmm thats an interesting option to explore as well.
I have got my Dad over for the weekend so we can both go for the test drives - so tomorrow will start the test drive / test sitting at Tata, Maruti and Hyundai . Even GM and Ford are all close by so checking out the cars there will not be a problem either.
Will keep everyone updated - I am guessing we will be closing this out within the next week if not over the weekend
Old 31st August 2007, 12:36   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
i would say the ESTEEM.

So the back seat in the esteem is nice too.

so i think its the Old esteem.
I cannot agree to this at all. Esteem back seats can be a real punishment for old poeple. I was forced to sit in the Esteem back seat a number of times (thanks to my collegues, at least 4 of them were having esteem). It is not a good place to be for longer duration.
Sorry to all the esteem owners including my dear friends
Old 31st August 2007, 14:26   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantw1 View Post
Folks
Thanks so much for the overwhelming response! The perspectives have been fantastic. Pollwise the Indica is leading
Does Esteem come with factory fitted CNG option - hmm thats an interesting option to explore as well.
I have got my Dad over for the weekend so we can both go for the test drives - so tomorrow will start the test drive / test sitting at Tata, Maruti and Hyundai . Even GM and Ford are all close by so checking out the cars there will not be a problem either.
Will keep everyone updated - I am guessing we will be closing this out within the next week if not over the weekend
Vikrant, I would suggest Indigo XL Petrol 105 PS with my eyes closed.

Tremendous Leg room for rear seats (better than S-Class), REAR A/C VENTS, DVD on HEADREST.

Just Go Ahead And Pamper Your Dad.
Old 31st August 2007, 14:28   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Vikrant, I would suggest Indigo XL Petrol 105 PS with my eyes closed.
All this for 5.5 lakhs?! Show me where, and i shall trade in my car.
Old 1st September 2007, 16:19   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
All this for 5.5 lakhs?! Show me where, and i shall trade in my car.
Exactly! The XL's a good car but WAY above the budget in this case.

I voted for the Getz - thanks to its good space, also it offers better quality overall and service compared to an Indica.

However, I later read the 2500 km/month requirement and, as has been recommended, a diesel makes perfect sense. Hence I change my vote in favour of the Indica Turbo.

Other option 1: Logan 1.4 - Good build, good ride, loads of space, but old tech engine (75 bhp from a 1.4 is too less, engines are nowadays producing 100 bhp from 1400cc engines e.g. the 16v 1.4 used in the Grande Punto in Europe, and the 1.4 petrol in the Indigo XL). But mileage cannot compare to a diesel, especially in hatchback form.

Other Option 2: Indigo Turbo/DiCOR: Primary advantage is that of a boot, but in all other parameters it is beaten by the Indica Turbo itself. And yes, there is the stability as well.

Other option 3: Esteem - Too old now to be frank. Good car otherwise. Same mileage issue as in option 1.

Other Option 4: Ikon - Even if mileage isn't what it is perceived to be, it isn't a cheap car to maintain and own. On the whole, however, it is fantastic value for money given its price (OTR 5.3 lacs). Same mileage issue as in option 1.

There you go, good luck to you both.

~Strider
Old 1st September 2007, 19:47   #37
Senior - BHPian

Tata XL Classic (Petrol): Rs. 5,35,000*
Tata XL Classic (DICOR): Rs. 6,15,000*

* = Ex-Showroom prices
Old 1st September 2007, 21:34   #38
BHPian

From the available options i would prefer to have Indica Turbo. The car has really improved now and is a good built. My family car is used very roughly and any car which stays in good condition for 6 months with them i find to be really good car, and the new indica has done that. so imo you can trust TATA on this.

Also i must tell you that its driven for 2500 - 3000 kms just like your car will do.
Old 2nd September 2007, 13:50   #39
Senior - BHPian

Indica Turbo,
Has a good and reliable powerplant, sips diesel and has decent power with the Turbo.Moreover it is pretty spacious car with comfortable seating, commonds adecent resale value and it is pretty strongly built and safe on the highway. I looks much better than the Indigo and the marina and unless you need the boot it does not make sense to pay more for them.
Old 2nd September 2007, 17:41   #40
v&v
Senior - BHPian

hi,
it think you should test indigo xl for you dad. it ideal for chauffered and i suppose they have reduced the price to 5.36 lac.

More over if it is over your budget then you can try indogo ls (TCIC) or DICOR. it avaliable at 5.2 lac on road.

Running cost and cabin space are very good. Average too is decent. I too own a indigo TCIC recently bought. I am happy with it.

it is much better than buying Indica Turbo.

cheers
Old 3rd September 2007, 10:39   #41
BHPian

Hi Folks
Thanks everyone for the enthusiatic responses
Incidentally was a busy weekend for me and my Dad - since I took him test driving.
Of course we should have taken a driver along - but since we didnt my Dad and I did all the driving.

No prizes for guessing what he liked the most - the Swift! - because after having driven cars for 53 years - I guess its a tough habit to keep down - he was absolutely floored with the diesel response ( and he actually thought that it was a petrol - because it wasn't making noise - shades of the kelvinator ad - if anyone remembers that) - but if one has spent one's youth at a time - when diesel meant " clatter ! clatter ! my teeth they chatter" - I guess it is something else to view diesel tech at its latest best.

Rear seat cramped or not - it seems that might be his final choice - though I have asked him to TD the Getz ( funnily neither of the 2 dealers we visited had the Getz test car during the weekend ). The 1.1 gets only a nominal 3 K discount - if someone knows a good deal anywhere in Delhi - let me know.

He liked the space of the Getz, agreed that Indica was spacious - but found the tata dealership ( at Mathura Road) quite rude ( that place is chaotic I can tell you - truly a bad dealership experience)

We also test drove the U-Va ( since it was nearby) - personally I liked it - but the problem is that the U-Va is neither here nor there - like Irfan Pathan after Greg Chapell was done with him - ok ac, ok engine, ok , ok , ok- like the kind of nice girl you might marry on the rebound - ok so I will stop the analogies

The Logan - that was just for fun sake - man that car has a really long throw ( for the first gear) - and the problem is the driving position - I am a bulky guy - especially because there is no tilt steering
Will keep everybody posted
Old 3rd September 2007, 10:45   #42
Team-BHP Support

So Round 1 goes the Swift D's way.
What are the next set of cars you would be looking at?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks