Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2007, 13:59   #31
BHPian

Also ACI mentions Aveo chasis is not rigid and creeks over bad roads.

Going by the road test reposts atleast, SX4 seems to be a better option in many aspects. Also the owner's report also looks very positive for SX4.
Old 6th September 2007, 14:28   #32
BHPian

[quote=prskumar;555191]Also ACI mentions Aveo chasis is not rigid and creeks over bad roads.
quote]

My dad has been driving an Aveo 1.4 base model for over a year now and it certainly does not creak over bad roads. The car has been driven up and down the length of Assam, Meghalaya and till Darjeeing.

When I drove it, I did not have too much problem with the gearshift....but then I'm used to the Indica shift!!!

All in all, it is a very well build comfotable car. Millage is about 11-12 city driving. No major maintenance issues till date.

The one thing to keep in mind is that it has low resale value. If you intend to sell the car soon, this may not be the right car.
Old 6th September 2007, 16:22   #33
BHPian

Going by the reviews of SX4 and my TD couple of days back. You should go for SX4. Handling of SX4 is better than Aveo. I have driven Aveo and have found it to be under powered.
Old 6th September 2007, 16:54   #34
aks316

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
I disagree dude.. I was inclined to Aveo looks when it was launched..only thing keeping me away from owning one was due to notchy gearbox and GM tag (though both are gradually getting better with time).. but with SX4 launch and having a closer look & feel, there was no going back... To me, I like the SX4 design - a balanced for City, Highway and off-road capability.. Look wise, its very agressive from the front .. the side is bit dull though.. but overall, looks better than a boxy design of Aveo.. sorry no offense to Aveo owners.. being a bachelor and tech freak, I like cars that are bold, revving engine, and big wheels... sorry 14 inchers are way too small for a C-segment car.. ride suffers badly though FE might be better... but considering the weight of the car (1200 kg), 1.6 litre engine with 16 inchers, a FE figure of 11-12 km under city condition is exceptionally good.. put these factors into Aveo or for that matter NHC, and guess the mileage of these cars will be... I am sure it will be significantly lower (if not pathetic)..
dude it is just my opinion and i dont even own any of the two.. and it all depends on person to person.. i have taken a test drive of aveo and i found it quite good and to me i like the looks of aveo better though sx4 is not bad also.. every car has negatives and positives and looks are subjective.. n ya you are right considering the weight of the car and the engine a FE of 11-12 is good..

Old 6th September 2007, 17:19   #35
BHPian

Everything on Earth has some +ves and some -ves (MUKAMMAL JAHAN NAHI MILTA)

As i have mentioned in other posts that i love SX4 bcoz to me it has most of the things right and at a right price.

But i own an Aveo too and its a great package in totality.

I will be frank, to me Aveo is 2nd best in this segment only after SX4 .... i dont think highly of NHC (sorry new city owners) but at the same time the kind of discounts and promises offered by chevy its not a bad deal either.

Ignore the Sh_t people give about GM service .... it was bad but for the last 1 year its at par with the likes of Maruti and Hyundai as per my experience.

Yes if you have the xtra money go for the SX4 with closed eyes.

Let me ask you are you a family man ? and what would be the usage of the car ?

Dont listen to me nor anyone else just focus on what are your priorities and accordingly decide between SX4 and Aveo.

All the best and let us know ...........

Last edited by namit : 6th September 2007 at 17:21.
Old 6th September 2007, 18:18   #36
aks316

Quote:
Originally Posted by namit View Post
Everything on Earth has some +ves and some -ves (MUKAMMAL JAHAN NAHI MILTA)

As i have mentioned in other posts that i love SX4 bcoz to me it has most of the things right and at a right price.

But i own an Aveo too and its a great package in totality.

I will be frank, to me Aveo is 2nd best in this segment only after SX4 .... i dont think highly of NHC (sorry new city owners) but at the same time the kind of discounts and promises offered by chevy its not a bad deal either.

Ignore the Sh_t people give about GM service .... it was bad but for the last 1 year its at par with the likes of Maruti and Hyundai as per my experience.

Yes if you have the xtra money go for the SX4 with closed eyes.

Let me ask you are you a family man ? and what would be the usage of the car ?

Dont listen to me nor anyone else just focus on what are your priorities and accordingly decide between SX4 and Aveo.

All the best and let us know ...........
hi.. since you have a chevy aveo.. how will u compare it with honda city.. according to you in what way is chevy aveo better than honda city.. i like both the honda city and chevy aveo equally..

Old 6th September 2007, 20:08   #37
BHPian

Between the two, I would suggest Aveo 1.4. I got mine last month and am extremely happy with it. I got its first service/reassurance check-up done yesterday and was satisfied with the service as well.

Aveo is definitely a VFM car. My Aveo has just completed 500 kms and the current FE is around 10 with AC and 98% in city. I guess it will go upto 12+ once I cross the 1000km mark. If you have any questions, then do let me know.

Finally, TD both the cars and take into account your priorities and then decide. All best!
Old 6th September 2007, 20:56   #38
BHPian

If money is not an issue go for the SX4.

Even considering that SX4 is a recent launch, i see more SX4s on the roads than Aveos. Says something or what?
Old 6th September 2007, 22:27   #39
aks316

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokeshG View Post
Between the two, I would suggest Aveo 1.4. I got mine last month and am extremely happy with it. I got its first service/reassurance check-up done yesterday and was satisfied with the service as well.

Aveo is definitely a VFM car. My Aveo has just completed 500 kms and the current FE is around 10 with AC and 98% in city. I guess it will go upto 12+ once I cross the 1000km mark. If you have any questions, then do let me know.

Finally, TD both the cars and take into account your priorities and then decide. All best!
hey hi.. since you have the new aveo.. is it better than the old one or it is a just marketing gimmick by GM.. ? i like the aveo too and i agree its a VFM car..

Old 7th September 2007, 01:40   #40
BHPian

In may this year, both SX4 & Aveo were bought by two office colleagues of mine.
Both the guys are happy with their cars & have driven 4500 - 5000 kms.But i find AVEO guy more satisfied. Ocassionally,the guy with SX4 thinks about NHC due to FE issues. I have driven both the cars, my opinion :

AVEO wins : comfort, better interiors , FE , lesser cabin noise

SX4 wins : in handling, top speed
Old 7th September 2007, 09:59   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks316 View Post
hey hi.. since you have the new aveo.. is it better than the old one or it is a just marketing gimmick by GM.. ? i like the aveo too and i agree its a VFM car..
Hi, the new one is certainly better than the old one. I had TD both the versions and could easily feel the difference in the gear shift. The new speedometer/tachometer cluster also looks nice. I will be shortly putting my review on Aveo 1.4 with pictures.
Old 7th September 2007, 10:48   #42

Thanks for the answers and the discussion.
I would be driving mostly in the City. But Mysore is a small city and the roads are mostly empty when I commute to office.
I was planing to go for the Aveo 1.4 base model but after reading the posts here about safety, I am leaning towards the 1.6 Aveo with ABS and Air bags.
If I go for this, then the price difference between the SX4 ZXi and the Aveo is negligible.
This further adds to the confusion of whether to go for the Aveo or the SX4.
I was also a bit worried about the FE of the 1.6 Aveo as compared to the 1.4 Aveo or SX4. From the discussions till now, I gater that the 1.6 Ave and SX4 have similar FE, if not slightly better. The Aveo Sales guy (as expected) also claims that the Aveo engine is techniologically better thatn the SX4 one.
I am really close to comitting on the 1.6 Aveo with option pack (ABS + Airbags).
Old 7th September 2007, 11:26   #43
BHPian

SX4 Practical View of life

I recently(2 days back) got my SX4 delivered. I will just share my experiences on why i got this car.
I test drove every car in this segment barring the NHC (with my upper spending limit at 7L) over a standard test route involving
Smooth tarmac for a km and a construction route splattered with dried slush spills from tipper trucks and a stretch with series of small speed breakers, patched tarmac
Mind you i did not want to do slaloms or highway rides
Overall ratings
Best NVH characteristics : Ford Fiesta 1.4 EXI
Best city Suspension : Verna
Best overall suspension : SX4
Best Interiors : Aveo
Practical Seats: SX4 (minus the back seat central hump)
Best steering: Fiesta
Best Gear Shift: hmm.. all of them were pretty much OK. Only the aveo felt relatively rubbery
Best accelerations: Verna
Best Ride: SX4 (Feels very planted)
Best Mileage: Fiesta 1.4
Overall the most practical VFM package : SX4

Let me start from the bottom
1. Aveo: Lovely Beige interiors(Difficult to maintain). On road dynamics are not confidence inspiring. My sudden brake tests locked the wheels and the vehicle skidded for a good 15 meters (thankfully without the tail stepping out). I was quite shaken(The sudden brake tests went well on perfect tarmac.but then....) and that was the end of the interest in the car. Notwithstanding a 25k dealer discount + Stereo. The ride was smooth and the car soaked all bumps pretty well. Gear shift. nothing bothersome.
2. Verna : WHoopey.. what a powerful car. Power delivery is quite brilliant and you are in 70s and 80s before u even know it. NVH are good. Quirky reverse gear (next to 1st gear). Pretty low seating . Getting in and out is a pain. Otherwise sudden brake tests went brilliant (tail stepped out a bit though) and no wheel locks happened. - Hmm was shortlisted for the final list
3. Fusion: - Yuck.. a good car spoiled. The seats rattled and usable leg space was minimal and back seat comfort not good. Expensive spares made it no better. Deleted from the list. I still feel maybe they should have freed up more leg space in the front and back and shaved off a bit of the huge boot.
4. Logan - Yuck .. the looks are silly. Looks like a car from 70s. Why should i blow 6+ on a yucky looking car? But man, it drives pretty well and power delivery is good. and mechanicals are quite sound. But interiors have cost cutting written all over it.. exposed cables, quirkily placed switches, again... 6L is not cost cutting for me.. .so sayanora Logan
5. Fiesta: Again. whoopey.. what a brilliant car.. drives well, Ultra smooth, i was doing 85 in 2nd and the car did not even send vibrations thru the gas pedal/steering. totally insulated. in short brilliant NVH. Steering feedback is brilliant. It is a beauty. Reasonably priced too 6.5 for the 1.4L one. I loved this one. Minus point - Lower seating. Brakes were also brilliant with sound bite and good grip with lovely feedback. You are totally in sync with the vehicle it was like i was 'The One' who can 'See' the matrix
6. SX4 - You walk into the car. You walk out of the car. Being a santro and an alto owner (the two extremes) i know how much difference it makes to just walk in and out of the car. My elderly parents loved it. NVH not so good as the rest of the pack. i can feel the workings of the engine in my hand and foot. Both steering and gas pedal transmit enough to keep u informed about whats happening in the engine. The noise is not bothersome in the city though.Gear shift is lovely. Shocks are relatively hard on slower ride over ruts on the road. Ride them holes and speedbreakers thru at 15-20 + the shocks soak the bumps pretty well. As for the engine there was always power at reserve during my city test drive in any gear. At one point i was pottering around at 30 in the 4th gear the engine pulled without complaining. Low end torque also helps you drive around the ccity in 3rd gear in an u ltra quiet 1100 to 1500 Rpm. Big wheels helped the braking too.. and for a car of this height it did not get rattled or displaced when driven hard over potholes and gave a planted feel. It gave me best confidence next to fiesta.. I loved the gizmos. in-dash stereo was stunning.. i read the mileage might be a bit lesser but it i went for it for the practicality of hte cabin.
Least but no the last. I was called for follow up only by 2 of the dealers . 1 was Maruti and the 2nd was Hyundai. rest of the pack does not seem to care.
The buying experience itself was like never before . I still find it difficult to believe that the dealer kept his promise with unbelievable punctuality as well.
The payment was made on saturday and he promised the car on Monday evening at 6. He called me at 6 to say that the car was ready. I was frankly shocked for i was used to dealers delaying deliveries by days and weeks. Both my santro and alto were delivered 1 week later from the promised date. Oh boy! times have changed eh?
Kudos to Khivraj motors chennai. the best point was when I went to collect the car, he ahd even finished putting in a whole list of accesories i had asked for. Does this happen all the time for all deliveries? Or I just got plain lucky? G.O.K

Maybe I would have been happier with fiesta but my family would have grumbled every time they got in and out.
and that is my story.
Old 7th September 2007, 12:59   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokborki View Post
Thanks for the answers and the discussion.
I would be driving mostly in the City. But Mysore is a small city and the roads are mostly empty when I commute to office.
I was planing to go for the Aveo 1.4 base model but after reading the posts here about safety, I am leaning towards the 1.6 Aveo with ABS and Air bags.
If I go for this, then the price difference between the SX4 ZXi and the Aveo is negligible.
This further adds to the confusion of whether to go for the Aveo or the SX4.
I was also a bit worried about the FE of the 1.6 Aveo as compared to the 1.4 Aveo or SX4. From the discussions till now, I gater that the 1.6 Ave and SX4 have similar FE, if not slightly better. The Aveo Sales guy (as expected) also claims that the Aveo engine is techniologically better thatn the SX4 one.
I am really close to comitting on the 1.6 Aveo with option pack (ABS + Airbags).
If you like aveo 1.6 better, then go for it. It has all the safety features as in SX4. The only missing item is Automatic climate control AC and 16 inch alloy wheel. But this is a very small difference. For Aveo you get 3 yr warranty as well.

What will be the onroad price for Aveo 1.6? Are there any discounts available?
Old 7th September 2007, 13:29   #45
aks316

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokeshG View Post
Hi, the new one is certainly better than the old one. I had TD both the versions and could easily feel the difference in the gear shift. The new speedometer/tachometer cluster also looks nice. I will be shortly putting my review on Aveo 1.4 with pictures.
is it better than the honda city.. ya i have seen the new speedometer/tachometer its good but i didnt like the chrome much.. can you compare it with honda city and tell me its strong points.. thaknz.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks