Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2007, 17:09   #1
BHPian

Indigo LX or Logan DLS ?

I am looking to buy a diesel sedan.
Monthly driving of about 2000km in Delhi NCR.

Looking at possibly a choice between Indigo and Logan pricewise, but worried about the Indigo brand.

On the Logan side, Not so rave reviews of the car. And now the recent talks of Renault tying up with bajaj for $3000 car, I am wary of Logan's future. Please help me decide.

Apart from this, which one would be the next diesel sedan ? I don't see many choices in this segment.

Dealer Pricing:
Indigo LX DICOR 586000
Logan DLS 643000

Thanks,
Old 10th September 2007, 22:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

Go for Logan. It has proven from its launch. Earlier many people termed it as boxy....but slowly all are accepting the vehicle and regarding your worry about the ***, Mahindra will take care of the same....There are some threads available on Logan already on tbhp.

If space is not constraint, go for swift ddis. If you stretch your budget you will have Ford Fiesta TDCi & Hyundai Verna CRDi.
Old 11th September 2007, 10:12   #3
Senior - BHPian

I have bought an Indigo Marina LX DICOR recently and apart from a few bugging noises I am impressed with the car. There would be a discount on Indigo and will probably save you around 80K on the price as compared with the Logan. Moreover resale will also be better in case of Indigo and once you have a plethora of cars around 2009 maybe you can think of a change in case you do not like the Indigo by that time.
Old 11th September 2007, 10:13   #4
BANNED

Go For Logain.. its best buy ,, TATA = Tension And Trouble Always ... stay away from TATA
Old 11th September 2007, 10:34   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicejits View Post
Go For Logain.. its best buy ,, TATA = Tension And Trouble Always ... stay away from TATA
i beg to differ here, i drive a tata for almost an year now i have not faced any major problem. the car is really good and truly value for money.

now indigo is the only diesel car coming at this price range and completly value for money car.
read the reviews here of dicor engine and TDI and you will know better. people usually opt for TDI and i would suggest you to test ride marina as well, but i have heard that the top model is only coming with dicor engine. so check for that.

my friend has recently bought LX indigo and he is really happy with car. he also spent lot of time thinking between these two.

Logan does not give you as much as you pay for the car. basically the space is the usp .

i test drove it and found that the stearing was bit hard although engine was responsive. interior was really bad. there were too many empty spaces in the car because of the size.

and ofcourse money matters, if you are willing to pay then there are other options also.

the best thing is to test ride the vehicle and follow you gut feeling, just like tendulkar chooses his bat . trust me you would know as soon as you get into the car.
Old 11th September 2007, 11:02   #6
BHPian

Have recently test driven both - based that Tata Indigo Dicor is better - especially if u are going to drive - The Logan has a very uncomfortable driving position - and if it is pushed back - then there is little room at the back - switches are in weird positions
I would say that you could also check out the Indigo XL - amazing space
*** - Mahindra and TATA - not much to choose from there - at least from the behavior of Sales staff.
Of course in both cases discounts galore - On the Diesel , Mahindra is giving free insurance along with a 7 K discount ( the DLS only)
and Tata has loads of discounts too
Personally I would go with Swift VDi any day - unless you have a space constraint.( As snaronikar suggested)
Old 11th September 2007, 17:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

The Indigo and Logan are both budget cars. In case you want to buy a Logan the lower end versions make more sense. No point in spending over 7 lacs ( on road Delhi) for what is a cut price car. Indigo TCIC and Dicor make a lot of sense as most issues with the car have been sorted out and most importantly no one gives you more car per rupee than Tata Motors.
Old 11th September 2007, 18:39   #8
BHPian

Diesel Dual

Thats a toughie.
Earlier TATA used to be known as mechanic's love. For you will find them spend more time at the workshop than at ur service. And this is 5 years back. Now there is a lot of talk about improvement in quality and the talk also comes with a rider that goes like this
"Tata is a much improved car nowadays.. but still far behind the Japanese and the Europeans in quality and refinement".

Now that said, maybe the only way you will know the difference is if you have ever owned a Japanese,Korean or an European brand.

Even otherwise logically speaking Indigo makes sense here atleast its not a low budget car by principle / policy.
The minute someone talks about logan, the thought that comes to one's mind is that.. 'Oh that car that Renault did everything to save a few bucks'...
And for most of us Desis, 5-6 lakhs is not small change.. maybe it is for the europeans.. so why blow that much on a 'Cheapo' car.

The other argument is.. forget the looks, she is as practical as she can get. thats logan for you.
Well, I would go for Indigo TDI Dicor if it has to be diesel and I have never owned a euro/jap/kor car for i would not miss what i never enjoyed.
Old 12th September 2007, 11:05   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Logan is better to drive than the Indigo since turbo-lag and on-road behaviour are better controlled. But it is way over-priced when compared to the TDi Indigo, which offers just as much at a lesser price. I also prefer the interiors of the Indigo to the Logan. Plus, its got a lot more goodies.

If you want to sit on the back-seat and be chauffeur driven, its a no brainer. Go for the Indigo. If you intend to drive yourself, testdrive both and then make your choice.
Old 12th September 2007, 12:26   #10
BHPian

Thanks everyone for their inputs.

The oevrall impression I have got from this post and others is that Logan is not really a VFM. It's overpriced for what if offers. Now I am thinkin of going for SX4 Vxi. I wonder of CNG kits are getting installed on SX4 yet. The last I heard was that none of the kits are yet approved by RTO for SX4.

Does maruti have the concept of "Dealer warranty" on CNG fitments like Tata does ?
Old 12th September 2007, 13:01   #11
BHPian

if you are open to SX4, why not try base version of Fiesta Diesel? even though it is expensive, it is very refined and good to drive in City as well.
Old 12th September 2007, 13:32   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhb2000 View Post
Thanks everyone for their inputs.

The oevrall impression I have got from this post and others is that Logan is not really a VFM. It's overpriced for what if offers. Now I am thinkin of going for SX4 Vxi. I wonder of CNG kits are getting installed on SX4 yet. The last I heard was that none of the kits are yet approved by RTO for SX4.

Does maruti have the concept of "Dealer warranty" on CNG fitments like Tata does ?
sab ko ghooma rahe ho bhai. after buying sx4 i dont think you would like to spoil the boot with cng kit.

test ride fiesta 1.4 diesel good car.

in between why dont you read the long term ownership reviews first. it would be a great help.
Old 12th September 2007, 13:45   #13
BHPian

What I didn't like about the Logan is the quality of sheet metal used. It looks too flimsy. Of course, the thickness of sheet metal is not the only criteria, crumple zones matter more. I hated the Logan bumpers most. That is really like cardboard. Forget the sheet metal, they could have provided at least decent bumpers.

Regards,

Pradeep

Quote:
I am looking to buy a diesel sedan.
Monthly driving of about 2000km in Delhi NCR.

Looking at possibly a choice between Indigo and Logan pricewise, but worried about the Indigo brand.

Thanks,
Old 12th September 2007, 16:08   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msharma_79 View Post
sab ko ghooma rahe ho bhai. after buying sx4 i dont think you would like to spoil the boot with cng kit.

test ride fiesta 1.4 diesel good car.

in between why dont you read the long term ownership reviews first. it would be a great help.
Why not.. I have seen Honda citys in CNG stations. People are going for CNG where available.

Fiesta is a Ford car and from what I have seen on tbhp, they have horrible service and add to that a low resale values of their cars.
Old 12th September 2007, 16:58   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Why not.. I have seen Honda citys in CNG stations. People are going for CNG where available.

Fiesta is a Ford car and from what I have seen on tbhp, they have horrible service and add to that a low resale values of their cars.
usually people( i said usually) get the cng fitted in the lower end cars because basic idea is to save money on the fuel. no matter how much people insist but it does have adverse effect on the engine.

now let's see if you buy a Sx4 for approx. 700000/- and get the cng fitted for 45000 approx.

or you buy a tata indigo for let's say 550000/- approx again.

boss you need some serious time and need to do some serious running of the car to burn that 200000/- you have saved.

bahut chalega yaar almost 100000 kms.

Ford is the other company whose been hit badly by the perception, nobody can have worst experience than me when it comes to ford and i still recommand it. (check my threads, you will know why).

resale value is good point, but being worried about selling before buying it.

go for esteem then, cng works really well in esteem.

and yeah maruti does give the warranty on the cng fitments, but they also will be surprised when you would ask them to fit one in brand new Sx4.

Take care
God bless

Manu

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks