Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2007, 08:31   #1
BHPian

Is Indigo LS worth 5.5L

Hi,
I've been looking for a car for quite sometime now. And now when after great difficulty i'd eroed on to either UVA base, costing 4.6L(in case budget becomes a concern) or Ford Flair costing 5.3L(in case i get some additional $$ somehow).
Now a section of my friends have started brainwashing me to have a look at indigo LS costing 5.5L.

My drivings(mostly highway,mostly with 4 ppl) are going to be in the neighbourhood of 1000 per month.

Now the questions of the day is
1. "Is Indigo Diesel worth 5.5L?"
2. Does it make sence for person with 1k drivings per month to buy a diesel car(please note that if ans to Q1 is yes, indigo will cost me 20k more).

Thanks for all your help,
Old 12th September 2007, 09:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

If you are looking at Diesel car with 4 people in mind also consider Swift D. Great Torque y car.
Much better than an Indigo LS at the same price. Yes you will not get to spoil yourself on space but will be better of with A.S.S. and the torque/power Swift delivers.

Some folks in the forum have chosen to sell their petrol Swift to buy Diesel Swift. The car is such a hit.

Hope I haven't confused you further.
Old 12th September 2007, 10:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

@amohit : Even if you drive only 1K per month, if are you concerned about your running costs then buy the Indigo because you get a much larger car with more space and less running costs. Yes there would be nagging problems but then.... its your personal choice..UVA still remains a hatch so decide. In case you can stretch to about 5.5 I am sure there would be some discounts too.
Old 12th September 2007, 10:44   #4
BHPian

thanks for trying to add to the existing confusion "DieselFan", but i've anyway ruled out swift .
For me it was going to be either UVA or Flair, depending upon the % of bonus that i'll get

@wanderernomad,
When you say nagging problems, and when you consider that I wont be driving more than 1k kms/month, do you think its worth buying Indigo?
Lets say I was earlier buying Ikon, so space advantage is not there.
The confusion is between lower running cost of diesel vs Very comfortable diving of Ikon.

P.S: I havent TDed Indigo yet, so not sure how good it is to drive. as a matter of fact i've never driven a diesel car before.

Thnaks
Old 12th September 2007, 10:58   #5
BHPian

As most of your driving is in highway, Indigo would make more sense here.

You'll have comfortable ride, more space, milage and bigger luggage space.
Old 12th September 2007, 14:34   #6
Senior - BHPian

@amohit : Sit in an Indigo and then see the space advantage. Driving is comfortable in a TDI version but long drives in the DICOR version is tad uncomfy due to an higher elevated accelerator pedal, apart from that I recently drove mine from Simla to Delhi in 6 hrs and no fatigue.
Ride handling is very good. But in the end its what you think matters more...lower running costs or a slightly more relaxed driving position, since your mileage is not very much so either way both the options are merely subjective.
Old 14th September 2007, 16:17   #7
Senior - BHPian

For you, unless you take ooooodles of luggage, Indica Turbo DLG will be ideal. cheap and good, except minor niggles, and small issues with the servicing.

Indica turbo is good fun to drive above 2.5k and the TDI isss responsive. It has decent highway manners, and is quite planted on highways. Just make sure you insist on Apollo shoes before you book. Else, get ready to replace the stock JKs in 20k kms
Old 14th September 2007, 16:28   #8
BHPian

no doubt, indigo TDI is a good car but you have to choose fuel and what are you looking for then look around.

first and i would recommand any good petrol car. it seems like you want a three box car or car with space, then you can go for ikon which you shortlisted or if you can wait then look out for swift sedan.

i would not recommand a diesel car with such low running per month. if you like indigo then check out the petrol version also it is cheaper and i have heard performs very well.
Old 14th September 2007, 16:39   #9
BHPian

If its going to be a petrol car, it will be Ikon only.
The source of confusion is my "friends", tell me that since my only driving is going to be highway, the upfront fuel costs will pinch. That is why sometimes thing i should go for diesel vehicle...
On the other side, when i remember my TD experiences of ford ikon....i feel like what the heck...its worth the extra running cost!

by the way do anyone know any team-bhp member who has a indigo TDi version?

@phamilyman, Since i am planning to keep the car for atleast 6 yrs, I thought of not going for hatchback.
Otherwise, I felt Indica is great VFM

Mod's Note: Please try to post your message in a single post rather than replying to every one in an individual post. Posts merged.
Old 14th September 2007, 17:35   #10
Senior - BHPian

diesel vehicle choice should be made on your running distance - yours is frankly too less for mandating the extra finance cost of diesel.

rule out ikon too. Its clearly at the end of its product life cycle and ford isn't injecting josh in the brand.

take a logan instead - new car, so spares, service, everything will be there in six years

Last edited by phamilyman : 14th September 2007 at 17:38.
Old 14th September 2007, 17:41   #11
BHPian

thats true...but diff between ikon & indigo is just 20k. thts the curx for whole confusion!!
Old 14th September 2007, 17:50   #12
Team-BHP Support

Mohit, I will not get into the debate of which one is better, the Indigo or the Ikon. There are enough number of threads available that take up each of these two and dissects them. So you can go through them for sure.

Instead of the regular good-better-best debate let me do a simple and crude math. With an Indigo your immediate running cost per km will come to around Rs. 2.50 whereas with an Ikon it comes to about Rs. 4.50 (there is a difference of 15+ bucks between the two fuel's cost in hyderabad).

Now the above figure means with Indigo you make a saving of roughly Rs.2 per km. For 1000 kms per month that will mean if you run Ikon you will pay Rs.2000 extra over Indigo. That translates to an annual saving of Rs. 24000. Since you plan to keep the car for at least 6 years that translates into a saving of Rs.1,44,000 (assuming this difference in fuel prices remains constant) on the fuel costs.

Of course, at the end of 6 years an Indigo Diesel will sell at a much higher price than the Ikon. But then thats another story. So now you can decided whether the above saving on the fuel costs sounds compelling enough. Do remember that if your travelling distance goes up in future the above savings figure will be even higher.

So, you pay 20000 rupees more to buy the Indigo but save 1,44,000 over a period of 6 years. In fact the 20K extra is recovered and you save 4k over and above that in the very first year of purchase. So there you go...

Last edited by Zappo : 14th September 2007 at 17:53.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks