Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2007, 12:12   #1
BHPian

NEED Inputs to FINALISE: Fiesta Petrol 1.6 SXi or Diesel 1.4 TDCi SXi. Specific query

Hi all,

Thanks for all the great discussions here on the forum. It is one of the most well-behaved and informed web groups on any topic.

I need your inputs on my intended car purchase. Had finalised Fiesta 1.6 SXi after testing and comparing many vehicles in the mid-size range. Also booked with Shaman Ford Mumbai who promised delivery in 10 days. This however didnt happen and they extended the date by another 10 days, and now say it would be available only in october (no date/week committed). That is 2 months delay and I am not sure if even this time target would be met. The problem is Ford India doesnt sell many 1.6 SXi and hence the production run is very infrequent. Now, this made me wonder if the model sells so less, I may also face problems with spares availablility (important) and resale (less important) later.

The 1.4 TDCi SXi (diesel model) is more readily available as the Fiesta diesel sells much more than petrol (may be in 4:1 ratio). I am not inclined towards the 1.4 petrol. The 1.4 diesel, except a bit of grunt (not bad) has power matching the 1.6 SXi (current users please confirm based on your experience). And I want ABS which only comes in the SXi versions.

NOW, I NEED YOUR INPUTS to decide whether I should spend 1 lac more and go for the diesel vehicle. On road cost for petrol is 8.5 lacs and diesel is 9.5 lacs.

My analysis is as follows:

1. Average use would be 30km/day (might increase if I take diesel since would not mind going on longer trips due to lower variable cost). So, I would recover around Rs 50000 over 3 years.

2. The assumption in above calculation is the maintenance cost of diesel is around Rs 1.25 per km as compared to petrol at Rs 1/km (This is based on the TMP rates of Ford India... which is a good benchmark to use). Current users of diesel, please confirm this.

3. That reduces the difference to Rs 50000 only which, post depreciation is Rs 33k. I think that would easily be the difference in resale value of diesel v/s petrol say 3-4 years hence (even after applying time value). Please confirm this.

Now, I need to know the following qualitative inputs which can matter in making this decision.

1. Would the life of a diesel Fiesta be lower than petrol Fiesta? Would the diesel engine tire earlier?

2. Would diesel have any hidden maintenance cost I dont know? Or any consumables which are costlier and not covered in the differential maintenance cost taken above?

3. Is it so that a diesel vehicle has to run every day or else the engine oil coagulates? Is it ok if it lies unused for 3-4 days... or do I need to crank the engine once a day to make the oil flow? (Is it also applicable for Fiesta which is new generation engine?)

4. Is it true that one doesnt get the economy advantage on small runs? Like if one travels only 10 km in a trip, would that still make diesel cheaper?

5. Are there any other quality differences between Fiesta diesel and petrol that I need to consider?

Thanks in advance.

Note: I am not considering options apart from Fiesta right now unless pushed into. SX4 has bad blindspot and bumpier ride, Verna is reported unstable, Logan, City and Aveo build quality not liked. Optra and Cedia are out of range.

- Sachin
Old 15th September 2007, 13:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

1. Well, TDI engine should lasts 5-6 years atleast if maintained properly.. But its generally believed that Petrol engine last longer.

2. Diesel engine of course will be costlier in maintenance..this will be more acute with time.

3. that is basically for old generation diesel engines. dont think the new CRDi/TDi inherits.

4. It will be still cheaper than a petrol car..

5. except for engines, others are pretty much the same.

my take will be for the Fiesta TDi 1.4.. But if you can wait, Ford will be bringing the new Fiesta TDi 1.6 early next year...
Old 15th September 2007, 13:55   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinchavan View Post
1. Would the life of a diesel Fiesta be lower than petrol Fiesta? Would the diesel engine tire earlier?
That is the general belief. However, modern diesels wont retire that fast. Its just that petrol may have more lifetime compared to diesels.
Quote:
3. Is it so that a diesel vehicle has to run every day or else the engine oil coagulates?
Have friends who have bought modern diesels for the economy factor (though running is not much) and not having any problems.
Quote:
4. Is it true that one doesnt get the economy advantage on small runs? Like if one travels only 10 km in a trip, would that still make diesel cheaper?
With better mileage than petrols, and cheaper fuel costs, wouldn't it still have an advantage over petrol, whether it be city or highway?

It might be that, if a person only uses 10km/day, his monthly usage might not be high enough to justify buying a diesel car.
Quote:
5. Are there any other quality differences between Fiesta diesel and petrol that I need to consider?
Cars are very much same. However, as you have said, diesel is the best-seller and will have an advantage when it comes to availability of spares/resale value etc.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 15th September 2007 at 14:01.
Old 16th September 2007, 11:41   #4
BHPian

ABS available as option on both Zxi & Sxi variants.

In my 1.5 years of ownership of Fiesta 1.4 TDCi, i had to pay for only the service parts like oil, filter, etc. I get a mileage around 20-23 with A/C on the highway and 14-16 with A/C in the city . Till now, covered 14K Kms in 19 months.

All your doubts can be forgotten easily and you could recover the amount in 3 years even with such low running.
arif_t01 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2007, 12:58   #5
BHPian

Thanks ItNerd, Crazy and Arif for detailed replies!

Arif, your reply gives me the confidence because your usage is also sparing. The Zxi does not any longer come with ABS.. only SXi does. Zxi with ABS would have been great because I could have fitted a sound system (the only other major difference between the 2 versions) later on.

Arif based on your usage of the Fiesta can you also specifically clarify the point 3.

"Is it so that a diesel vehicle has to run every day or else the engine oil coagulates? Is it ok if it lies unused for 3-4 days... or do I need to crank the engine once a day to make the oil flow? (Is it also applicable for Fiesta which is new generation engine?)"

Also, if there are more users of Fiesta TDCi on the forum, I would love to hear your opinions. Thanks in anticipation.

- Sachin
Old 25th September 2012, 00:10   #6
BHPian

Re: NEED Inputs to FINALISE: Fiesta Petrol 1.6 SXi or Diesel 1.4 TDCi SXi. Specific q

This may be a little off topic but I desperately need the experts advice here..I am planning to buy a used ford fiesta classic(durotorq). I have shortlisted 2 cars and need the experts to advice on both the deals..

1. Mumbai registered Feb 2009 Classic durotor SXI ABS(Top End) 35k running, costing arnd 5.3 owned by a close friend
2. Mumbai registered Sep 2010 classic durotor EXI limited edition. 12k running costing arnd 5.6. 1 year extended warranty

Both are white color and very well maintained.

Thanks in advance!
Old 25th September 2012, 05:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

Re: NEED Inputs to FINALISE: Fiesta Petrol 1.6 SXi or Diesel 1.4 TDCi SXi. Specific q

Given that price is very similar, long term running cost comes into it with our governments wonderfully skewed diesel pricing policy. Approximately what amount of km do you expect to run monthly. The diesel will obviously be cheaper to run.

However, the big advantage of the petrol here is that it is the top end version which means it has more goodies, and far more pertinently has ABS, which makes it far safer than the diesel version, which I am assuming does not have ABS. Would the petrol have airbags also?

I guess the choice is between cheaper running costs on one side and greater safety and more mod cons on the other.
Old 25th September 2012, 08:37   #8
Senior - BHPian

Sachin
If you consider your daily running to be more than 60Km per day taking into account your future travels also then only consider the diesel Fiesta else for all other reasons go for a Petrol one.

Sadly all the goodies have been given for the top end Petrol Classic Fiesta i.e SXI (Earlier the ZXI variant was a total VFM buy). If you can wait and get your hands on the model then nothing like it. If you are tilting more towards diesel then I suggest go ahead and book one. See the link for more details of the Classic Diesel.

http://www.dnaindia.com/money/report...c-case_1726107
Old 25th September 2012, 09:21   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovemyOHC View Post
1. Mumbai registered Feb 2009 Classic durotor SXI ABS(Top End) 35k running, costing arnd 5.3 owned by a close friend
2. Mumbai registered Sep 2010 classic durotor EXI limited edition. 12k running costing arnd 5.6. 1 year extended warranty
If it were me I would go for the 2009 SXI ABS Diesel. 35k running for 2 years is not that much and the engine still has a lot of life left in it. And moreover the fact that it is owned by your close friend should give you an idea of how well the car was maintained. There are simply no safety features on the EXi limited edition whereas the top of line SXi comes with 2 airbags and ABS if I recall correctly. When it comes to resale value, both cars will take a hit since ur the 2nd owner. So don't take that into consideration. Maintenance cost for both should be same cos they are both diesel. Just get the service records of the 2009 Fiesta and have a clean check and confirm with the dealership where it has been serviced. Also, TD from Ford once or TD a brand new Fiesta Classic diesel and then drive this 2009 model back to back to see if you can find any abnormalities. Also do take the TBHP checklist with you when you zero in on a model and please be sure before buying the vehicle that there are no faults what so ever.

Wishing you the best of luck on your new purchase. Keep us posted on which vehicle you land up with and also an ownership review

Cheers,
K
Old 25th September 2012, 09:58   #10
BHPian

Quote:
The 1.4 diesel, except a bit of grunt (not bad) has power matching the 1.6 SXi (current users please confirm based on your experience).
Hi Sachin,

I think you are talking about the fiesta classic. The 1.4D is no match in terms of performance compared to 1.6P. Consider this 1.4D does 0-100 in 17 odd seconds where as 1.6P does 0-100 in around 11 seconds. 1.6P is far more fleet footed than 1.4D.

Regards,
JediKnight
Old 25th September 2012, 10:43   #11
BHPian

Quote:

1. Average use would be 30km/day (might increase if I take diesel since would not mind going on longer trips due to lower variable cost). So, I would recover around Rs 50000 over 3 years.

2. The assumption in above calculation is the maintenance cost of diesel is around Rs 1.25 per km as compared to petrol at Rs 1/km (This is based on the TMP rates of Ford India... which is a good benchmark to use). Current users of diesel, please confirm this.
TDCi has been a proven workhorse now, with lot many figos around, the Ikon and the Fusion (stopped), and the Fiesta. From my personal experience, with about 20 kms a day (home to office, 10 kms one side), with lot many highway trips, ranging from driving in the plains to going as high as Rohtang in Himachal Pradesh. I drove 1.4 tdci for about 48,000 kms, and not an iota of extraordinary expense did the engine demand. Just used regular diesel with regular periodic service. Don't worry. If the engine turns out right (this could be seen/observed in the initial 2000 kms.), then you could drive the fiesta for minimum of 1,00,000 kms.

Quote:
My experience says NOT AT ALL.

Quote:
2. Would diesel have any hidden maintenance cost I dont know? Or any consumables which are costlier and not covered in the differential maintenance cost taken above?
NOT AT ALL. It is as easy to maintain, or you could also say it works out cheaper to maintain than similar spec. maruti.

Quote:
3. Is it so that a diesel vehicle has to run every day or else the engine oil coagulates? Is it ok if it lies unused for 3-4 days... or do I need to crank the engine once a day to make the oil flow? (Is it also applicable for Fiesta which is new generation engine?)
NO.

Quote:
NO. Sachin, if I were you, I would go and buy the Fiesta D with eyes closed.

Quote:
The only perceptible difference would be the 0-100 speed, which, in normal running, doesn't matter, I suppose. What do you say?

I have had a fusion plus tdci myself for about three and half years and 48,000 kms., and you could read the complete maintenance details here

Quote:
This may be a little off topic but I desperately need the experts advice here..I am planning to buy a used ford fiesta classic(durotorq). I have shortlisted 2 cars and need the experts to advice on both the deals..

Both are white color and very well maintained.

Thanks in advance!
Go for the SXi for two reasons. One, it is the top end version with all the safety features. and two, it belongs to your close friend, meaning, it has been driven and maintained by your friend, so you must be knowing the pluses and minuses of the motor.
Old 25th September 2012, 13:10   #12
BHPian

Thanks everyone for your valuable inputs. Sorry but i dont understand the technicalities that much All i know is that i need to make a deal between 2 cars with the same engine and technicalities. If you are given a choice between a vehilce which is a 2010 sep limited edition EXI Durotorq model with 12k on the dial and added bonus of 1 years extended warranty at a total price of 5.6(Sorry mixed up the price in my initial post) and a 35 k run 2009 feb sxi ABS(top end) at 5.6 L, which one would you pick? Advice!!

Also if i have the option of buying a 2009 Honda city at around the same price, would you recommend going in for a petrol car?
Old 25th September 2012, 13:48   #13
BHPian

Sorry Typo again !! My friend is asking for 6L for the top end model
Old 25th September 2012, 14:32   #14
BHPian

Quote:
which one would you pick? Advice!!

Also if i have the option of buying a 2009 Honda city at around the same price, would you recommend going in for a petrol car?
I would go for Diesel Fiesta and the Fiesta handles wayyy better than the Honda City. Simply put I would go for the 2009 Fiesta SXI with ABS. But I would bargain harrdd and it is not worth more than 5.5 lacs give or take 20 thousand even if it has been maintained and looks and drives like new. Anything more is a waste.

EDIT: Here is the carwale evaluation for that car
https://www.carwale.com/used/carvalu...=19656387&vt=1

Last edited by kaush666 : 25th September 2012 at 14:33. Reason: added carwale evaluation link
Old 25th September 2012, 14:45   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your valuable inputs. Sorry but i dont understand the technicalities that much All i know is that i need to make a deal between 2 cars with the same engine and technicalities. If you are given a choice between a vehilce which is a 2010 sep limited edition EXI Durotorq model with 12k on the dial and added bonus of 1 years extended warranty at a total price of 5.6(Sorry mixed up the price in my initial post) and a 35 k run 2009 feb sxi ABS(top end) at 5.6 L, which one would you pick? Advice!!

The way to look at it is you have three cars all available for around 5.5 to 6 lakhs. The Exi has zero mod cons, no ABS, airbags etc, so I would put it at the bottom of the list. Yes, it is arguably the best value for money as you get 1 year extended warranty, a diesel and the newest model, but it comes with the least peace of mind especially if you are driving regularly with all your family on board. ABS and airbags do wonders for your peace of mind.

You now have to decide between the SXI fiesta and the honda city. Price wise obviously the fiesta is better as you get a diesel, and thus lower running costs for the same price. This is where you need to figure out what your monthly running will average. If it is low, the petrol will work out financially. If not, the diesel makes sense.

Also, what you need to do is check out the features on the City and those on the SXI fiesta and see if there is a difference. If not then the Fiesta is the easy choice. If the City is better equipped then the choice becomes harder. Also, look at A.S.S for both Honda and Ford in your town and see which one is better. That can always be an important factor. Long run the most peace of mind is achieved by a reliable car with good after sales service, which is why Toyota charges such a premium for their cars but yet have such good sales.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks