Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2007, 22:53   #1
BHPian

Dilemma Verna CRDi v/s. Cedia

people i need help and advice... am planning on making a purchase
a hyundai verna crdi or a cedia, am getting confused, need some clarity...

WHY VERNA--> 25kgm torque (very killer) + 110 horses (both at low rpms) climate control.
WHY NOT---> dont like the shape, looks weird to me, LOWER SEGMENT, no airbags, heard the engine has problems, believe diesel cars have a shorter life span.

WHY CEDIA--> 115ps, airbags, looks great, is BIGGER, petrol is cool. a new lpg version is out as well, decent mileage for a 2.0L petrol engine, i think its priced very well.
WHY NOT---> NO CLIMATE CONTROL!!, lesser torque.

also i had a 3rd car in mind, the elantra crdi, dont like the shape, but the price is competitive and it is a fully loaded entry level luxury car, has a lot of space, TCS!!!, better ride than the cedia and verna.

my budget - 9lakhs...
Verna CRDi SXABS- 8.26 lakhs
Cedia Spirit - 8.60 lakhs
Elantra CRDi without leather - 8.78 lakhs
the leather version is for 9.8

these are all chandigarh prices.

all help and suggestions welcome, will be much apprecited, thanks.
Old 16th September 2007, 15:26   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Before we go any further, I hope you realise that all the three cars that you have mentioned will kill you in resale value. If you like to drive, the Cedia will keep you happiest. It is a very competent package. On the other hand, the Verna is highly uninspiring to drive....despite that rock star of an engine. Dont go anywhere near the current Elantra as it is due for a replacement soon.

What I really recommend to you is to test-drive the Optra Magnum. Same price range but great power, space and luxury.
Old 16th September 2007, 15:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2ki View Post
people i need help and advice... am planning on making a purchase
a hyundai verna crdi or a cedia, am getting confused, need some clarity...

WHY VERNA--> 25kgm torque (very killer) + 110 horses (both at low rpms) climate control.
WHY NOT---> dont like the shape, looks weird to me, LOWER SEGMENT, no airbags, heard the engine has problems, believe diesel cars have a shorter life span.

WHY CEDIA--> 115ps, airbags, looks great, is BIGGER, petrol is cool. a new lpg version is out as well, decent mileage for a 2.0L petrol engine, i think its priced very well.
WHY NOT---> NO CLIMATE CONTROL!!, lesser torque.

also i had a 3rd car in mind, the elantra crdi, dont like the shape, but the price is competitive and it is a fully loaded entry level luxury car, has a lot of space, TCS!!!, better ride than the cedia and verna.

my budget - 9lakhs...
Verna CRDi SXABS- 8.26 lakhs
Cedia Spirit - 8.60 lakhs
Elantra CRDi without leather - 8.78 lakhs
the leather version is for 9.8

these are all chandigarh prices.

all help and suggestions welcome, will be much apprecited, thanks.
The biggest advantage , CEdia has over the other two apart from the ones you have already mentioned is ,
  • Its handling (though I find Lancer even better)
  • Driving position .
If these two are important to you then there is no looking back , buy Cedia ..........but remember the resale value is very poor due to low demand.

On the postitve side , its one machine you can do endless mods be it suspension , Looks or engine perfomance.

By saying this am not implying the other two cant be modified its just that many aftermarket perfomance mods are easily availabe for Cedia off Shelf in the international market.

So go ahead make your choice !
Old 16th September 2007, 15:58   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Of the three cars you have mentioned it will have to be the Elantra if it comes to driving pleasure. Followed by the Cedia and the Verna.

Like Rush has already mentioned try the Magnum too. But if you can still get the Elantra with all the goodies, nothing like it. Since, the Elantra is due for replacement expect even bigger discounts offered. And going by the track record most of the replacements haven't been that great.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 16th September 2007 at 16:07.
Old 16th September 2007, 17:15   #5
BHPian

thanks guys, that clears out a lot.
am planning to keep the car for a minimum of 5 years, so don't bother much about the resale value...

and ive also ruled out verna now, my fears have been well confounded now. the new elantra is scheduled for launch as well, dunno when, but i guess the price tag would rise too, any ideas?

i drove the magnum, it drives like a dream, looks good too, but why i don't favour it is, beacuse the price will break in some time, cause its relatively a new launch plus, no climate conrtol, heard spares are expensive and a problem too, and don't know much about the engine life, anyone owned a magnum for over 2 years?? don't think so... really like the cedia, good ride, my uncle owns the mitsubishi dealership here, so after sales, spares, etc. arent a a problem too.. so think am narrowing down to it.

but should i wait for some time, maybe till january '08?? are there going to be any new launches?? or price cuts on the existing models? besides diwali...

thanks for your input, appreciate it..
Old 16th September 2007, 19:09   #6
BHPian

how can anyone own a magnum for two years when it was launched a few months back,search the forum there are few members who own a magnum they can give you a clear picture about it,i would say go for the magnum and then add a pete's tuning box(not yet available but in the pipeline) a killer combo
Old 16th September 2007, 19:42   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi1771 View Post
how can anyone own a magnum for two years when it was launched a few months back,search the forum there are few members who own a magnum they can give you a clear picture about it,i would say go for the magnum and then add a pete's tuning box(not yet available but in the pipeline) a killer combo
i know that the magnum hasnt been around for that long.. if you could understand my post correctly, that line was sarcasm, you interpretation is flawed. and my belief is, i would buy a car only if it is reviewed fully, and after it has some considerable mileage on it. thanks
Old 16th September 2007, 19:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

Well... have driven the Elantra CRDi, Cedia, Magnum and the Verna. Before I comment, first of all you must decide whether you want a Petrol or a Diesel. The standard caveats apply... Diesel has lower running cost but worse NVH.

The Verna is an overpriced no good car other than a great engine. The Elantra CRDi has an amazing engine but has substantial turbo lag. Its the same with the Magnum as they are basically the same engine block made by Detroit Diesel. Out of these, the Elantra has better handling while the magnum has more power, probably cos of a bigger turbo and a different state of tune. Both of these will feel more powerful than the Cedia cos they have more torque and a turbocharger.

The Cedia on the other hand is way more refined cos its a petrol, the NVH is nearly nil inside the cabin and in terms of driving around the city, it beats both the diesels. On the highway, the diesels will probably feel more powerful but at the end of the day, you won't feel a lack of power in any of the cars. Plus in terms of handling and driving dynamics, Cedia beats both those cars silly, especially if you upgrade to better rubber. I disagree completely with rahul that the Elantra is a better driver's car... in stock form no way! With mods, probably yes but then the Cedia has nearly unlimited mod potential compared to elantra.

If you want a diesel, get the optra as the elantra has been phased out and what the dealer is selling is probably old stock. I must warn you though that at high speeds, it handles like a boat. If you are fine with a petrol, its a no contest, get the Cedia. Do keep in mind that resale value is not good for any of these cars.

If you need more info about the Cedia, look in the long term ownership reports.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 16th September 2007 at 19:55.
Old 16th September 2007, 20:00   #9
BHPian

FYI, the spares in the magnum are meant to be the cheapest; as compared to the skoda octavia also. Just putting in my bit of knowledge!
Old 16th September 2007, 20:33   #10
BHPian

yes, cedia is a better choice for you.I personally dont think magnum is very much superior to cedia except in the running cost department. resale value may be an issue with magnum too.
Old 16th September 2007, 20:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2ki View Post
thanks guys, that clears out a lot.
am planning to keep the car for a minimum of 5 years, so don't bother much about the resale value...

and ive also ruled out verna now, my fears have been well confounded now. the new elantra is scheduled for launch as well, dunno when, but i guess the price tag would rise too, any ideas?

i drove the magnum, it drives like a dream, looks good too, but why i don't favour it is, beacuse the price will break in some time, cause its relatively a new launch plus, no climate conrtol, heard spares are expensive and a problem too, and don't know much about the engine life, anyone owned a magnum for over 2 years?? don't think so... really like the cedia, good ride, my uncle owns the mitsubishi dealership here, so after sales, spares, etc. arent a a problem too.. so think am narrowing down to it.

but should i wait for some time, maybe till january '08?? are there going to be any new launches?? or price cuts on the existing models? besides diwali...

thanks for your input, appreciate it..
Dude, you just answered your own question. With that sort of an arrangement, you are taken care off even after warranty period. Cedia is the one.
Old 16th September 2007, 21:40   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Well... have driven the Elantra CRDi, Cedia, Magnum and the Verna.
If you need more info about the Cedia, look in the long term ownership reports.
thanks bro, appreciate it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantnehru View Post
FYI, the spares in the magnum are meant to be the cheapest; as compared to the skoda octavia also. Just putting in my bit of knowledge!
i know that fact comrade, but am not concerned about the skoda, i wasnt alking about it too... what i was discussing was the cedia and the magnum, and cedias spares are cheaper than the chevy's...

Mod's Note: Please quote only the required amount of the text. Do not make a separate post to answer every reply.

Quote edited and posts merged.
Old 16th September 2007, 23:04   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well... have driven the Elantra CRDi, Cedia, Magnum and the Verna. Before I comment, first of all you must decide whether you want a Petrol or a Diesel. The standard caveats apply... Diesel has lower running cost but worse NVH.
The Accent CRDi was very high on NVH but I dont think Verna and Magnum are so bad in terms of NVH.
Quote:
The Verna is an overpriced no good car other than a great engine. The Elantra CRDi has an amazing engine but has substantial turbo lag. Its the same with the Magnum as they are basically the same engine block made by Detroit Diesel. Out of these, the Elantra has better handling while the magnum has more power, probably cos of a bigger turbo and a different state of tune. Both of these will feel more powerful than the Cedia cos they have more torque and a turbocharger.
Agreed, Verna is overpriced.
Elantra has a fantastic CRDi engine and doesn't have any substantial turbo lag even in stock form..
Are u sure Elantra engine block is made by Detroit Diesel??
Quote:
The Cedia on the other hand is way more refined cos its a petrol, the NVH is nearly nil inside the cabin and in terms of driving around the city, it beats both the diesels. On the highway, the diesels will probably feel more powerful but at the end of the day, you won't feel a lack of power in any of the cars. Plus in terms of handling and driving dynamics, Cedia beats both those cars silly, especially if you upgrade to better rubber. I disagree completely with rahul that the Elantra is a better driver's car... in stock form no way! With mods, probably yes but then the Cedia has nearly unlimited mod potential compared to elantra.
Agree with you Cedia has fantastic handling and driving dynamics. Cedia also has unlimited mod potential but Elantra with just a plug and play Petes can Petrify many cars...

Quote:
If you want a diesel, get the optra as the elantra has been phased out and what the dealer is selling is probably old stock. I must warn you though that at high speeds, it handles like a boat. If you are fine with a petrol, its a no contest, get the Cedia. Do keep in mind that resale value is not good for any of these cars.
Come on. I have driven Elantra at 160+ kmph recently and it was pretty good and braking was fantastic..
Old 16th September 2007, 23:11   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
The Accent CRDi was very high on NVH but I dont think Verna and Magnum are so bad in terms of NVH.
It is still bad compared to petrol cars.

Quote:
Agreed, Verna is overpriced.
Elantra has a fantastic CRDi engine and doesn't have any substantial turbo lag even in stock form..
Are u sure Elantra engine block is made by Detroit Diesel??
Yup 100% sure... the original block was from detroit diesel which hyundai modified to suit their purpose. Elantra does have turbo lag but its not as bad as the magnum.

Quote:
Agree with you Cedia has fantastic handling and driving dynamics. Cedia also has unlimited mod potential but Elantra with just a plug and play Petes can Petrify many cars...

Come on. I have driven Elantra at 160+ kmph recently and it was pretty good and braking was fantastic..
Sorry if it was misleading... I meant the Optra handles like a boat. Elantra's handling is way better.
Old 17th September 2007, 00:33   #15
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Yup 100% sure... the original block was from detroit diesel which hyundai modified to suit their purpose. Elantra does have turbo lag but its not as bad as the magnum.
True that. The Elantra engine is indeed from Detroit Diesel. Unlike the Verna engine, which is an in house design by Hyundai themselves. ROC, every TCed car WILL have some sort of a turbo lag. You have to figure out how to keep the car within the turbo band. Honestly it is not that difficult and its something one gets used to rather soon. The thing with the Elantra is that it seems effortless cruising at speeds in excess of 200kmph. To top it all it has the best ABS system I have come across in cars compared on this thread. Diesel warrants less fuel expenditure, coupled with pretty efficient Hyundai A.S.S. I suggest everyone to read Tadukuttan's long term report on the Elantra. It perhaps is the MOST under rated car in the under side of 10L ever sold in India. It has a brilliant engine, handles well, AC is brilliant, comes bundled with all the safety features. What more could one ask for?

But, if its a petrol that you want. Stick to the Cedia. What more, his uncle has a dealership too. So not only will he be safe from service/repair issues he is also qualified to get a dealers discount on the price of the car itself.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks