Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2007, 21:57   #1
BHPian

Which One? Baleno Accent Ikon?

Hi Friends,

I had an Accent an year back back, I sold it since I was alone & away from my family and it was more for office to home commute, so I settled with Zen. Now since my family is rejoining me, I am looking for a used Sedan to go with LPG conversion.

Pls help me in deciding between Baleno, Accent and Ikon.
THE ONLY REASON TO CONSIDER IKON IS ITS SIZE AND NOTHING ELSE. I am looking for a sedan which is not too big so that my wife also can drive in Bangalore.

I am really impressed with Baleno's power, space, resale value, mileage, AC and maintenance costs But it is too big (I think Baleno is biggest among the three), out dated looks (worst flat back lights) and it looks great only with spoilers and alloy wheels.

I had Accent previously, its a good car, value for money but again we can't really trust Hyundai cars.

Finally Ikon Flair, worst resale value, under powered, outdated, high maintenance, no fuel efficiency and mightmare after crossing 70k kms, I liked only for its size which would be good in Bangalore city traffic.

Can you help me decide and any other options are also welcome.

Thanks,
Hummer
Old 21st September 2007, 00:01   #2
Team-BHP Support

From a spares and support point of view Hyundai and Maruti are better bets.
The Accent is very cramped at the back though.
I would say digest baleno's looks and go for it. Its a very nice car but its rare to find good ones in used car market.
Ikon will be the cheapest as Hyundai and maruti command better resale than ford.
Old 21st September 2007, 00:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

Looks like all the manufacturers have left a big vacuum at that price point by moving their replacements upwards.

Renault disappointed with their entry in that segment, so who's going to run away with the cake - Maruti with the Splash, I bet!

Sorry for going off-topic, but I couldnt resist that - there are so many people looking for cars in the 5-6 lakhs range, and suddenly there isnt anything to buy but outdated/discontinued models.

If you want to upgrade from a hatch, you have no choice but a bunch of models that are at least 5 years old at the minimum.

Last edited by Steeroid : 21st September 2007 at 00:11.
Old 21st September 2007, 00:31   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummer View Post
I am really impressed with Baleno's power, space, resale value, mileage, AC and maintenance costs But it is too big (I think Baleno is biggest among the three), out dated looks (worst flat back lights) and it looks great only with spoilers and alloy wheels.
Like someones Signature... I think Shuvc's signature says....
"The Juice upfront compensates for the rear..." or something of sorts.

If you want a good balanced drive (trusted by rallyists)... power ... space and a Merc Class AC. Just buy the Baleno.. Its VALUE for Money. 94/91 BHp......
Old 21st September 2007, 01:15   #5
Senior - BHPian

Ikon 1.6 nxt would be a good option..looks a million times better than the baleno & its got way way better tail lights than that of the baleno.Its just a myth that ikons are expensive to maintain. Its got good power to 91bhp.
and you'd get one really cheap too.
Baleno may falter on the looks but resale value,Maintainence and etc better.
Old 21st September 2007, 01:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
Its just a myth that ikons are expensive to maintain.
But still costlier than maintaining a Baleno.

Looks though, would totally agree and am ready with my fists to anyone who thinks otherwise!!

Last edited by 1100D : 21st September 2007 at 01:56.
Old 21st September 2007, 08:13   #7
BHPian

Go for Baleno. It is Maruti, so spares and maintenance wouldn't be a problem. You would be able to sell off easily in case you want to go for a new car couple of years down the line.
Old 21st September 2007, 12:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

@hummer ...
I would suggest you to go in for a baleno .. forget it blant rear looks.. go for it .
Else Y not consider an Esteem .. Fantastic car..
Old 21st September 2007, 12:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

If you have had an Accent earlier then no point in me telling you a bout the car.

The Baleno is a great car and fits yr req perfectly though I do not know how the performance will be with LPG.
Old 21st September 2007, 12:52   #10
BHPian

If you are planning to go the LPG way then esteem seems to be one of the best bets. Plus it will also meet the criteria for size.
Old 21st September 2007, 13:18   #11
Senior - BHPian

IMHO, its a no brainer amongst these three- has to be the baleno.

Having owned all three cars at some point of time, I can tell you that the ikon and the accent, though competent cars, dont come close to the baleno in any deartment.

and surprisingly, post phase out, the baleno's resale has suddenly shot up!!

Having friven a baleno in bangalore for 6 months, I can tell you for a fact htat the car does not seem too unweildy- feels like any regular sedan.

Last edited by himanshugoswami : 21st September 2007 at 13:20.
Old 22nd September 2007, 00:00   #12
BHPian

if u can live with its butt, go for Baleno. its a nice car, be sure to get wide rubber on it ,a nd go for the Vxi version if possible
Old 22nd September 2007, 01:23   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

So get spoilers and alloys put. Get clear lamps for the rear. It will change the rear looks of the baleno.Add skirts and there u go a much better looking ***.
Old 22nd September 2007, 01:55   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Friends,

Thanks,
Hummer

I own a Baleno and i do admit that it is a Big vehicle.But seriously if u consider the Driving part it isn that tough to drive around in traffic.
The only issue to check is the spares costs though.
Most of the spares are SGP (Suzuki Genuine parts) and not MGA (maruti genuine spares) and so are little costly.
Once a biker hit the right ORVm and the mirror lens broke off.On enquiring at the dealer they quote me around 1750 just for the mirror lens

atlast got a lookalike mirror lens from an accessory shop for 150 bucks.
Old 22nd September 2007, 10:26   #15
BHPian

Baleno it is. Look no further.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks