Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2007, 15:44   #1
VMG
BHPian

Should I buy Verna(XXi) petrol with ABS.

My friend has almost finilized Verna(xxi) petrol version with ABS. His budget is max. 8 Lacs OTR. Before he moves, would like to see feed back from the Verna petrol owners.
He does not like SX4 and Ford maintenance is costly.
Driving about 500KM per month(75% city and 25% highway);
Family of 4(2+2)
Wants to keep it for about 6 years.
Price is 7.7Lacs OTR in Chennai. I think it comes with addtional warranty also.(4 years).
His priorities are mentioned below are in the same order.
- Low maintenance cost
- Comfort & safty features.
- FE
- Resale value.

with the above points, Is Verna is best or any other suggestion pl.
Old 25th September 2007, 15:56   #2
Team-BHP Support

- Low maintenance cost - NHC
- Comfort - NHC
- safty features - .Verna
- FE - NHC all the way
- Resale value. NHC

I think NHC matches most of your criteria except ABS. Verna and Fusion sell their diesels more that their petrols, so not many ownership reviews here.
Old 25th September 2007, 15:57   #3
VMG
BHPian

Is this car comes with ABS and EBD or only ABS. If only ABS then what is the minus point.
Old 25th September 2007, 15:58   #4
BANNED

Yep Nhc suit's you well but you've shell out more money to get safety features such as abs/airbags .
Old 25th September 2007, 16:01   #5
VMG
BHPian

But Verna engine(VVTI) is superior than NHC( not the Vtec) right? NHC has GC issue also I think.
Old 25th September 2007, 16:08   #6
Senior - BHPian

I don't think the maintenance cost of a Hyundai will be more than a Honda. Correct me if I'm wrong. The maintenance cost of the Elantra as tadu once posted was ridiculously low. I dont think verna would be more than that as its a smaller car. Also verna petrol's engine is much more capable than the i-DSi honda.
Old 25th September 2007, 18:06   #7
BHPian

i was too in same postion some time before but then i went for nhc as driving comfort and name of honda and good fe and resale value
Old 25th September 2007, 18:24   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

The Verna is a nice car and should fit all of your friends requirements. Just make sure that he doesn't like power as the Verna is unstable at high speeds.
Old 25th September 2007, 18:26   #9
BHPian

performance wise the verna is much superior to the new honda city and whereas driving comfort is concerned the city beats them all...plus honda cars will have better service than the hyundais anyday...for a nice comfortable city car the city is the best no doubts...
Old 25th September 2007, 18:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMG View Post
Is this car comes with ABS and EBD or only ABS. If only ABS then what is the minus point.
Why might that be? Not all cars in that segment come with EBD. Only the SX4 has it. ABS is better than no ABS at all? Wouldn't you agree?
Old 25th September 2007, 19:39   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
Why might that be? Not all cars in that segment come with EBD. Only the SX4 has it. ABS is better than no ABS at all? Wouldn't you agree?
I think nowadays ABS comes with EBD by default. I saw the price of Verna XXi_ABS - 7.2 Lakhs. Why Verna is 20k costlier than SX4 without having AIRBAGS. Is there any other features in that car ?
Old 25th September 2007, 19:48   #12
Senior - BHPian

^^Fiesta 1.6 SXi has ABS+EBD as well.
Old 25th September 2007, 19:54   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
I think nowadays ABS comes with EBD by default. I saw the price of Verna XXi_ABS - 7.2 Lakhs. Why Verna is 20k costlier than SX4 without having AIRBAGS. Is there any other features in that car ?
Not very sure of that. If that is so it would have been specified in the tech specs. Just says ABS for the Verna. I don't think they would miss that out.

The SX4 has ABS with EBD and BA I think. The Elantra also has it.
Old 26th September 2007, 11:07   #14
VMG
BHPian

City Vtec plus comes only with ABS no EBD.
Old 26th September 2007, 11:33   #15
Senior - BHPian

I wonder why you say Ford maintenance is expensive---that was in the yester years. If you read ownership reports of petrol Fiestas and Ikons, this myth has been busted.
I own a Fiesta 1.6 sxi for the past 6 months, and so far I've not spent anything on it, except Rs 1670 for the 3rd service, where they change Engine Oil, etc. Another owner has given a long term ownership report of the 1.6 sxi--pl take the trouble of reading it.
I too was in a fix 6 months ago on which car to drive---I TD'd Fiesta, Verna and NHC Vtec. I found the Vtec over-priced and lacking in features like ABS and EBD. I also did not like its shape and heard about its low GC. I liked the Verna's ride, but did not like its front look--esp the grill. That apart, I read that it was unstable at high speeds, and had poor headlights--pl visit the Orkut community for the thread named 'Problems with your Verna'. It also has a small boot.
After driving the Fiesta, I took an immediate liking to it, especially the handling, power and ride quality. The stock 6-cd changer sounds fantastic---better than that which comes with the Vtec or Verna. Only flip side is that it does not play mp3.
So I suggest you TD Fiesta, Verna, NHC and even the Aveo to decide. BTW, Aveo is offering fantastic discounts these days.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks