Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2007, 20:23   #1
BHPian

Wanted a Contessa (or sanity)

Well i have finally decided to follow a looooooooong cherished dream - Buy a Contessa!
This is probably a really really unwise decision from most point of views but its pure love... a neighbour once owned one and i never drove a more pleasurable car! it was love at first drive.

Anyways, my dream is just that .. a dream. I really have no knowledge about price, maintainence and availaibility of spares for a conti except .. that its really bad!!

What i want is a advise with regards to

- Is it worth it?
- What price, what condition?? Petrol or diesel (have only driven petrol...love it)
- Immediate mods, service, changes required?
- Anything else?

A friend from CHD suggested isuzu turbos. How good is that option??
Thanks in advance ppl.

regards

Elito

Last edited by aah78 : 27th September 2007 at 20:31. Reason: excessive dots removed. please avoid slang. eg. "ANywaz" is not "Anyways".
Old 23rd November 2007, 15:46   #2
BHPian

Any good samaritan on this?..... Me also wanna buy one
Old 23rd November 2007, 16:04   #3
Senior - BHPian

I've looked around for a long time (for my cousin) finding one in pristine order. Never found one - something or the other is wrong. Finally dropped the idea.

You'll have to be prepared to search, restore and most of all, spend.
Old 23rd November 2007, 16:26   #4
BHPian

well if are keen on getting one, just try in State Govt dept, they usally acution old cars, if have contacts you can bid and get yourself ...
Old 23rd November 2007, 18:12   #5
BHPian

Two years ago, around a dozen sparingly used Contessas (about 4-5 years old at the time) were lying in the gardens of Alwaye Palace near Cochin. They were the official cars of the judges of the Kerala High Court, and were cast off when their owners moved up to Lancers and Skodas. Nobody seemed to want them at the asking reserve price, so they were left to rot. I expect they must have been scrapped by now!
Old 24th November 2007, 00:19   #6
BHPian

Oh lord, I remember when the Contessa had the 1.5Litre 54 horsepower OHV engine from the Ambassador. God, it was awful. But interesting, I would love to own one of those amby engined contessas now for its sheer oddity factor.

For years and years, there was talk of the Isuzu engine to come and my dad would talk about wanting to buy that when it came out, at a time he was driving a 1973 Amby Mk3. It never did happen, but wow, I remember when they finally came out with it around 1987, the Contessa Classic 1.8GL, what a magnificent car it was in the Indian scene where a Maruti 800 was still the hottest thing around and a 118NE was an exotic.

I would not question you for wanting to buy one. Now compared to what you can get in India, its just a primitive old bucket, but who can argue with attractions of the heart? I would be glad to drive one as a primary car in India.

I am sorry that I cannot tell you anything about its problems, value, etc.
Old 24th November 2007, 01:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

I want one,ive seen a few .. will be talking to the owners in some time.
I still want to know the PCD of this car.If anyone could help out,would be appreciated.
And you guys who have conties,problems you faced
Old 24th November 2007, 08:19   #8

conty's to be auctioned

if you are in the market for a conty and live in bangalore there is govt office between ashoka hotel and chitra kala parishad where they auction conty's off.
had been there a month back and the lot was full of em, mpfi contessa with govt license plates(which need to be removed). spoke to the transport officer who informed me that since the lot was full they would be auctioning all of them off soon and that an advertisement should appear in all the leading newspapers.the order sanctioning the sale needs to be approved by the govt and the recent turmoil that KA govt has undergone dosent help. btw i spotted an lone ford ikon as well. the prices for these conty's on auction day should be 15k upwards. since they are left exposed to the elements cant coment on the condition and on auction day you need to get your own battery and fuel to drive the car back not to mention you cannot test drive the car before you place ur bid.
Old 24th November 2007, 21:59   #9
BHPian

Yes Conty is a dream machine (its indeed a ship and not a car) and it would be worth it giving you the exclusivity but be prepared for maintenance and hassles. I know of someone in Coimbatore who had to cast a crank shaft on his own (lucky he was in the foundary city) as he didnt get one...

Best is to pick up the petrol version for ~25k (lesser abused and would be in gr8 shape), get a diesel transplant either an Isuzu or a Nissan (2L engine+transmission, get it from an imported used engine dealer in Chennai) for ~40k, fix all issues for 30k, 5k for registration, NOC, etc., and you have a winner for a lac Rs.
Old 25th November 2007, 21:46   #10
BHPian

I cannot believe that an Indian Car would not have spares sold anymore.
Old 10th December 2007, 14:37   #11

Does anyone know if there are any contessa's for sale in the mangalore-udipi region ? I've been looking for one for ages...seen a few around town but none seem to be for sale .
Old 10th December 2007, 14:54   #12
BHPian

If I ever do a rebuild project in my life, I would like the conti to be one of my first choices....!

Would look at a Sporty Blue Metallic Paint job, Dual Exhaust,Alloys and new interiors, along with body kit for a sportier look. As for the engine, would look at the 1.8 Isuzu CNG compatible engine from Amby provided it fits and can source one since you intend to drive it in delhi.
Old 17th December 2007, 17:58   #13
Team-BHP Support

Watch this thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...s-auction.html
Old 5th May 2016, 18:05   #14
BHPian

Re: Wanted a Contessa (or sanity)

Any recent auction news regarding Contessa?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed