Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2007, 11:55   #1
BHPian

Need help on deciding Honda city

Hi,
In my already complicated story of buying a car, there is another twist. And to solve this, i need some expert help.

Someone in my friend circle is selling off his Honda City, EXI-White (Feb-2005). This car has done 15k kms.

I know for sure that the car has not met with any accidents and the owner has maintained it really well.

Price asked is 6.15L.
Insurance exp: Jab 2008.

Is it worth the buy?

P.S: Characteres in my story so far are Esteem VXI, Ford Ikon Flair, Logon GLE.

Regards,
Mohit
Old 11th October 2007, 12:03   #2
BHPian

Get a new one- not woth the price at 6.15 unless you want to save that margin since you know the car very well
Old 11th October 2007, 12:10   #3
BHPian

Check out what are the new cars you could get around that price. Say a Fiesta 1.4, Aveo 1.6, UVA, Verna i.

Or think about new cars that you could get at lesser price, say Hyundai Accent, Ford Ikon.

Or think about used cars you could get at lesser price, say a 2005 Chevrolet Optra

You get the answer?

No offence mate, are you an IT guy?
Old 11th October 2007, 12:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
Check out what are the new cars you could get around that price. Say a Fiesta 1.4, Aveo 1.6, UVA, Verna i.

Or think about new cars that you could get at lesser price, say Hyundai Accent, Ford Ikon.

Or think about used cars you could get at lesser price, say a 2005 Chevrolet Optra

You get the answer?

look at other options according to me it is not worth the buy as you can get brand new cars for the price. if you put in a little more you would get a brand new honda city.
Old 11th October 2007, 12:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

Except for the price, everything is fine about the proposed purchase. Since you are in Bangalore, new City EXI would be around 7.75-8 lakhs. Perhaps a price reduction of 25-30K should be expected. Also check the condition, and try to find out the real reason for selling a 2.5 yr old car (of course 2.5 yr old is not so soon either). If you really are sure that owner has maintained it well, then that is a huge burden removed. But other potential buyers may not know, and so the person may be cashing on your friendship. Try to get the car, and of course 10-15K extra can be paid for knowing for sure about the car history, but still above 6 seems a bit high.
Old 11th October 2007, 12:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

certainly overpriced. Look for a new car. Or a better deal on a second hand car.
Old 11th October 2007, 12:54   #7
BHPian

You can either get a brand new one. Or buy the above and used the saved money for some modifications or ice, etc.
Old 11th October 2007, 13:08   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Except for the price, everything is fine about the proposed purchase. Since you are in Bangalore, new City EXI would be around 7.75-8 lakhs. Perhaps a price reduction of 25-30K should be expected. Also check the condition, and try to find out the real reason for selling a 2.5 yr old car (of course 2.5 yr old is not so soon either). If you really are sure that owner has maintained it well, then that is a huge burden removed. But other potential buyers may not know, and so the person may be cashing on your friendship. Try to get the car, and of course 10-15K extra can be paid for knowing for sure about the car history, but still above 6 seems a bit high.
Good advice. Buying a known 2nd hand Honda car is a smart thing to do. Better choice than buying a new 'lower' spec car. For less than 5K, you can make the car look and smell as good as a new car.

All that is left to do is either get a better price or justify the price :-)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...car-india.html
Old 11th October 2007, 13:19   #9
BHPian

@WhiteKnight,
Havent got that much brains to feel offensive...
yes...me in IT

The car belongs to a colleague of mine. so am sure of the quality.
But yes, I checked some online website for the price, and it said that this should not cost me more than 5.80.

So definately overpriced by 25k.

And worst I dont know how to bargain with him.

My budget is 5.3L (For ikon).
I was able to think abt this car coz, its on company lease, and right now i'll have to pay 3L, remaining will go in installments of 13K pm till Dec 2008(and final downpayment of 1L.).
With company leased car, this 13k wil be tax free for me and so will be the final downpayment..so effectively my EMI will be 9K.

Reason why he is selling is...he's relocating to US.

Ok now....is it worth it if its priced between 5.75 to 5.85.

Regards,

Last edited by amohit : 11th October 2007 at 13:30.
Old 11th October 2007, 13:25   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
@WhiteKnight,

But yes, I checked some online website for the price, and it said that this should not cost me moe than 5.80.

So definately overpriced by 25k.

And worst I dont know how to bargain with him.
send him the link to the online website.

goto Auto Terrace (pre owned car stuff at Honda) and find what is their best offer on the car.

am sure, your friend will get the point.
Old 11th October 2007, 13:29   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Considering your shortlist - you should, if it is ~5.8. Especially if the car is in mint condition. It is a big deal if someone drove in B'lore without scratches for 2.5 years :-) Knowing that the vehicle is in good condition is a *HUGE* plus.
Old 11th October 2007, 14:03   #12
BHPian

Quote:
@WhiteKnight,
Havent got that much brains to feel offensive...
yes...me in IT

The car belongs to a colleague of mine. so am sure of the quality.
But yes, I checked some online website for the price, and it said that this should not cost me more than 5.80.
Me too in IT . My point is, if you are serious about saving money when buying used cars, you got to step out of websites and visit many dealers. Try negotiating with a few to get an understanding of real market price.

Quote:
@And worst I dont know how to bargain with him.
Essentially because, you have no idea yet about what is the price at which you would commit the deal
Quote:
Ok now....is it worth it if its priced between 5.75 to 5.85.
No one could comment on the price without seeing the car. Also, it is worth taking opinion of a trusted mechanic about the car's condition.
Old 11th October 2007, 14:11   #13
BHPian

Hi! when you know your friend and the car too well , you can surely rely on it. As far as pricing is concerned , there are websites with tool which can give you an evaluation based on the model and variant , year of manufacturing and location of the car. Try that too. Quote a realistic price. By the way, if you are buying outright, well and good , but if you are going to avail loan, then I ll suggest, to go for a brand new one as the down payment will be less than the price, invest the balance money in a good Mutual Fund, get loan for a new car at much lower rate of interest and the resale value that it will fetch you after 2-3 years , will also be better. Weigh before, you finally decide. Though between friends, I guess these things, shouldnt matter much. Agreed!?
Old 11th October 2007, 14:25   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
Also, it is worth taking opinion of a trusted mechanic about the car's condition.
Very right. Even if it is a friend's car, there is no reason why you should not show it to a trusted mechanic.
Old 11th October 2007, 14:31   #15
BHPian

WhiteKnight, esteem_lover

Exactly for these reasons I had ruled out buying a second hand car. I was very happy dreaming abt esteem/flair/logan when this guy jumped in and added 2nd hand City to my list.

I guess i'll drop the idea of 2nd hand city...

by the way does any one know whats the FE for Logan 1.4 GLE?

Tried searching the forum but didnt get any long term reviews...

Regards,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks