Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2004, 02:31   #1

Need Advice

I am a new member and thoroughly confused about buying any of the 4 C++ segment cars available. My budget is 10-12 lakhs and need is back seat comfortwith good driveability. I need to use it for within the city drives for 40-50 kms per day. I have a driver so I will be driving only on Saturday/Sunday.

IMHO, based on test drives, Optra is a good car but compromise everywhere. Slugguish at low speeds and does not look great. After spending 12 lakhs, why take less than the best?

Elantra rolls so much at changing lanes that it scares. Plus I have an Accent as well and Hyundai again does not look the best option.

Skoda Octavia is the best drive. However, I cannot take a back seat for one hour and relax. I will be giving up on my short sleep periods which are dear to me. Why can't they make backseat 2" more wider?

Corolla is easy good drive. Good comfort. I am scared on braking. It squeaks like hell at hard braking, wheels get locked and dealers have no answer. Takes much more distance to come down from 100 to 0. Suspension is not the best and hence potholes are not very comfortable here. But my worry is breaking, is it really bad or am I just super-sensitive?

Sorry experts, I am a novice with cars and hence the request to guide me.
Old 18th July 2004, 13:14   #2
Senior - BHPian

Well buddy...IMO i would suggest u go for the Skoda Octavia 1.9tdi (r u looking at the petrol version?) The car is best in every sense..performance, fuel economy,size of the boot, good looks. Yeah... i agree about the back seat problem...they shud have made it better in the upcoming versions!
Old 18th July 2004, 13:39   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

go for the skoda 1.9 tdi
it is the best
i too was going to buy the skoda but was forced to get the corolla because of my dads height
Old 18th July 2004, 13:43   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Here are some previously discussed topics that may help you:

1. Which is better?

2. Octavia vs Corolla

3. Octavia vs Elantra

There is also some information on the Corolla and the Chevy Optra in the reviews section.

Check it out

GTO
Old 18th July 2004, 16:21   #5
Senior - BHPian

The C+ segment is really getting very confusing these days. While all the cars boast of having something the others don't, none of them seem to be overall winners.

If rear seat comfort is what you're looking for, then the Octavia is out of the question. Between the Corolla and the Optra, i'd be more satisfied with the Optra. The Corolla has great engine and good acceleration, but it's overall performance fails to impress, due to it's "less than expected" handling and horrible braking capabilities.

My personal choice, keeping your priorities in mind, would be the Chevy Optra. It's got space, comfort, good handling/braking and with a 0-100 time of 11.10 secs it's also the 2nd quickest car in it's class.

Regards...
Shan2nu
Old 18th July 2004, 17:33   #6
Team-BHP Support

Go through various review listed in this forum and decide.
Don't decide just like that. Any dealer would be more than happy to offer you a test drive. Remember, final choice is your's
Old 19th July 2004, 17:40   #7
Team-BHP Support

wait for the new octavia. they are expected to fix the 2 big problems.

power: new 1.8L Turbo petrol
seating: about 2" more leg room

ask skoda to hurry this up. I have been pestering them by peppering them with emails but i guess this is not enough.
Old 19th July 2004, 17:47   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (navin @ July 19 2004,16:10)]wait for the new octavia. they are expected to fix the 2 big problems.

power: new 1.8L Turbo petrol
seating: about 2" more leg room
I thought It's going to be a 2Lt engine!!
Old 19th July 2004, 18:00   #9
Team-BHP Support

present engine is 2L. I am surprised they are bringing a new engine. i would have expected them to just retune the existing 2L. or at best add a turbo to the existing 2L. but no, i hear from skoda india that they will be bringing in a new "more refined" 1.8L turbo power plant.
Old 19th July 2004, 18:28   #10
Team-BHP Support

http://www.skoda-auto.co.in/rimpi.html octavia rider?
same wine in new bottle?

so same that the skoda gallery does not have a link to it
http://www.skoda-auto.co.in/photogal.html
Old 19th July 2004, 18:30   #11
Team-BHP Support

my appologies Rudra. Skoda seems to just be repackaging their older cars. even the octavia tdi is being offered with a rider tag. http://www.skoda-auto.co.in/ritdi.html

maybe u are right. maybe skoda is not going to offer newer power plants in india.
Old 19th July 2004, 19:48   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

octavia blitz with turbo engine
to be launched soon.
only change in engine. nothing else.
engine produces 150 hp.
very fast car

Most Viewed