Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2007, 01:05   #16
Senior - BHPian

If you like SX4, buy it. The Corolla is dated, needs a revamp. I personally think Corolla looks boring (more like a retirement car, lol).

At the same time, explore the other options.
Old 30th October 2007, 12:14   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Please let me know who told you that.
You can search in this forum and you wll get the answer.
Old 30th October 2007, 12:45   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodbijlani View Post
only but most imp safety feature. plus the things mentioned by vcash.
Sorry! It is definitely not the most important safety feature. In fact it would not make it to the top two even.

THe most important safety feature is the seat belts and then comes the ABS.

That said the SX4 is a tremendous product and packages a lot of things in at a decent price. The only issue is aspirational value. I would rather have a Toyota than have a Maruti. That said if I am unable/unwilling to shell out more to take a car with equivalent safety specs I would go for the SX4 (safety first has always been my mantra). Also if I am to retain the car fo 6-8 years time frame then I would not say that new model coming in next year makes a difference. Else that criteria is not applicable to you.

Tried the Magnum?
Old 30th October 2007, 13:07   #19
BHPian

Hi Vishesh,

SX4 ZXi is a VFM product with all those features packed in at a reasonable price but when I took the test drive of the car, i find the interiors of the car very cheap. Look and feel of the materials used inside is simialr to what one can find in 4-5 lac car...

Corolla on the other hand doesn't have those many features and goodies but its a much better car overall in terms of engine, performance, accelaration, gear box, space, comfort and most importantly quality.

Corolla is dated and is going to be replaced with the new model soon but as you dont mind that and you like the looks, I would recommend you to go for Corolla. You just can't compare the engine and power of corolla with SX4...you will love driving Corolla any day over SX4 and moreover its belongs to one segement higher and hence more snob value....

else if you can stretch your budget a little, try out optra magnum..again a very good VFM package.
Old 31st October 2007, 14:36   #20
Senior - BHPian

Well comparing SX4 with Corolla is comparing apples and peaches, to sya the least. Corolla is in the segment of Civic, Cedia, Octavia and SX4 is trying to out-run Fiesta, and has done so to some extent too. Corolla is a luxury car (by Indian Standards), while SX4 looks like a Hybrid of small car and a sports SUV. Outside it looks few inches smaller than a medium sized SUV, from inside it feels a few inches bigger than its older cousin Swift. Drive it with an adult passanger in city condition and you wouldnt be able to avoid 'rubbing shoulders' with the passanger.
My suggestion too, like few other members is, to try the new Cedia...
it beats SX4, Fiesta and Honda City by miles and gives all that Civic / Corolla / Octvia have to offer for under 10 Lakhs. (Cedia SPIRIT on road in Chennai is incredible 9.4 Lakhs).
Old 31st October 2007, 18:56   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Well comparing SX4 with Corolla is comparing apples and peaches, to sya the least. Corolla is in the segment of Civic, Cedia, Octavia and SX4 is trying to out-run Fiesta, and has done so to some extent too. Corolla is a luxury car (by Indian Standards), while SX4 looks like a Hybrid of small car and a sports SUV.
If you look at the international reviews, SX4 sedan is targetted at the civic and the corolla. It comes with a bigger engine there though!

GoAuto - Car review - Suzuki SX4 sedan and 2WD range - Overview

Suzuki SX4 sedan packs a lot of punch
Old 31st October 2007, 20:14   #22
BHPian

Sorry for the vent that is coming your way.

Okay guys time for a little factual research before making assumptions that SX4 is in a different segment. I am being totally objective here. If Maruti had priced the SX4 at 10L, I guarantee you that most of the people on the forum would not hesitate twice in comparing the car to the Corolla / Civic / Cedia / Magnum (Also resulting in dissmal sales for the SX4 because of pseudo-premium image set by its competitors). Toyota is sold as a premium product in India due to perception influenced by marketing and quality. Internationally the Corolla does infact compete with the SX4. Lets look at the Spec sheet below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom2_ash View Post
You just can't compare the engine and power of corolla with SX4...you will love driving Corolla any day over SX4 and moreover its belongs to one segement higher and hence more snob value....
@ Zoom2_ash - Agreed, snob value is there in India favoring the Corolla and yes it does have about 23bhp more on tap than the SX4 and the quality is probably better. But internationally, esp. in the US: we are looking at two basic bottom of the line budget cars. And when you are on a budget you pick value - SX4 is more powerful / better warranty and tons of more features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Well comparing SX4 with Corolla is comparing apples and peaches, to sya the least. Corolla is in the segment of Civic, Cedia, Octavia and SX4 is trying to out-run Fiesta, and has done so to some extent too. Corolla is a luxury car (by Indian Standards), while SX4 looks like a Hybrid of small car and a sports SUV. Outside it looks few inches smaller than a medium sized SUV, from inside it feels a few inches bigger than its older cousin Swift. Drive it with an adult passanger in city condition and you wouldnt be able to avoid 'rubbing shoulders' with the passanger.
Buddy - get your facts straight! Look at the comparision sheet below. The SX4 in the US is more expensive than the Corolla / Has a stronger engine and as for your comments on rubbing shoulders - I will let the interior dimensions do the talking - If you rub shoulders in a SX4; you have to rub shoulders in the Corolla unless TKM has some witchcraft dispesner in the car that shrinks you and your co passenger cause interior dimensions are almost IDENTICAL! Exterior dimensions arent too far apart as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
If you look at the international reviews, SX4 sedan is targetted at the civic and the corolla. It comes with a bigger engine there though!
Amen brother! Bring the 2.0L here and will kick A** for sure.

Comparision Sheet. These are the base models. And I threw in the Civic for the heck of it.

Bottom Line - It is mostly about marketing and perceptions. At the end of the day brand equity counts and yes Toyota is more dominant in this field over Maruti. But from a Technological and contemproray stand point - The SX4 takes the cake.

Ceterus Parabus - I for one will prefer to drive a car that is newer by about 7 years.

Last edited by vcash : 31st October 2007 at 20:16.
Old 31st October 2007, 20:34   #23
Senior - BHPian

@Vcash.. that is a good comparision.. that specs literally tilted the comparision crown towards the base SX4 sport..but not sure about the overall value. But that should be enough bullets to silence off critics and peaches haters (many of whom you can find in this forum .. )

Last edited by iTNerd : 31st October 2007 at 20:37.
Old 31st October 2007, 22:06   #24
BANNED

2.0L, 143BHP SX4 in India , time to wake to guys. Anyway, he is planing to buy Indian Corolla or Indian SX4. Going by what you say, Honda Fit (NHC without boot) sold in US comes with 109BHP VTEC engine, with ABS & Airbags. So can I suggest him to buy Indian NHC ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
@Vcash.. that is a good comparision.. that specs literally tilted the comparision crown towards the base SX4 sport..but not sure about the overall value. But that should be enough bullets to silence off critics and peaches haters (many of whom you can find in this forum .. )
Old 31st October 2007, 22:28   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
2.0L, 143BHP SX4 in India , time to wake to guys. Anyway, he is planing to buy Indian Corolla or Indian SX4. Going by what you say, Honda Fit (NHC without boot) sold in US comes with 109BHP VTEC engine, with ABS & Airbags. So can I suggest him to buy Indian NHC ?
I am not contesting the engine options here. My post is to make a point - both cars are in the same segment. Exterior/Interior Dimensions, features, pricing etc. make them quite comparable. Its just that in India Maruti has a weaker engine and honestly - how many Corolla and SX-4 drivers do you know that do track days or street race where the power difference makes such a difference (And these would make horrible cars for this purpose anyway)? For every day driving on our roads and traffic, the 1.6 and 1.8 are adequate and I doubt either of them reach their max potential anway.

And P.S. The Jazz aka city would compete with the Toyota Yaris and the Swift sedan when it is launched - so you are off on your segment comparision.

Last edited by vcash : 31st October 2007 at 22:32.
Old 31st October 2007, 22:35   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
how dump are you? I was replying to Vcash chart in the US market context! In Indian Context, if Vihesh wants to go for a Corolla HE, that's damn good car.. its proven vehicle over years.. but the current edition is soon to be replaced with a newer model, and lacks features. The best alternatives are Cedia and SX4 which are loaded to the teeth... so, dump cowboy, understand the context
Old 31st October 2007, 22:37   #27
BANNED

On highways, SX4 will just disappear from Corolla's rear-view mirror !! Corolla can consistently maintain speeds of 140s while SX4 can barely touch that for a moment
in cities it doesn't matter whether you drive SX4 or Corolla.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
I am not contesting the engine options here. My post is to make a point - both cars are in the same segment. Exterior/Interior Dimensions, features, pricing etc. make them quite comparable. Its just that in India Maruti has a weaker engine and honestly - how many Corolla and SX-4 drivers do you know that do track days or street race where the power difference makes such a difference (And these would make horrible cars for this purpose anyway)? For every day driving on our roads and traffic, the 1.6 and 1.8 are adequate and I doubt either of them reach their max potential anway.
Old 31st October 2007, 22:40   #28
BANNED

Which critics you want to silence - Indian or US?
Quote:
But that should be enough bullets to silence off critics and peaches haters (many of whom you can find in this forum .. )
Quote:
how dump are you? I was replying to Vcash chart in the US market context!
Old 31st October 2007, 22:44   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On highways, SX4 will just disappear from Corolla's rear-view mirror !! Corolla can consistently maintain speeds of 140s while SX4 can barely touch that for a moment
in cities it doesn't matter whether you drive SX4 or Corolla.
Nice hypothesis, except that its merely a hypothesis! No logic! Do you think other C-segment cars (for that matter B-segment cars) suffer the same fate as your iDSi underpowered City? dumpo, time to come out of your hypothesis syndrome
Old 31st October 2007, 23:08   #30
BANNED

Mr i, pick any highway, sit & watch. Count the number of SX4s that zoom past Corolla. If you can count even 1, I will be like
Note: I will get the City. You get the SX4. Also you pick the location. I will show which is underpowered & over-tyred
Quote:
Nice hypothesis, except that its merely a hypothesis! No logic! Do you think other C-segment cars (for that matter B-segment cars) suffer the same fate as your iDSi underpowered City? dumpo, time to come out of your hypothesis syndrome

Most Viewed