Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2004, 15:25   #1

In transition

I have been a Zen driver of 3 years in Bangalore. After exhausting the emi's the time has come to bring home another (and hopefully better) car. I plan to retain the Zen as well. Therefore, on the new car I won't cross 5000 km per year. The items that interest me are ride comfort and (hopefully) resale value. I have a target budget of 5 to 8 lacs ex-showroom.
All suggestions are welcome.
Old 11th September 2004, 16:55   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Topic moved to Indian car scene

GTO
Old 11th September 2004, 17:20   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Welcome to Team-BHP.

Since you havent specified whether you are looking for a hatch, sedan or SUV, heres my take:

1. Hatch : The Hyundai Getz. Way superior to any hatch that India has seen. More European than Korean. Superb ride quality and brilliant overall package. Fully loaded version with ABS and alloys retails for apprx 5.5 L

2 A. Sedan : The Fiat Petra. Awesome 1.6 DOHC 100 bhp engine. Comfy interiors. And the best ride quality not only in its segment, but even many segments higher. Built like a tank. Fun to drive. The only area where you will be compromising is resale value, but heck...at 5 lacs its a steal already. Check out my Fiat Petra testdrive report.

2 B : New Honda City. Great interiors, great ride quality, great package. Throw in the Honda badge and you just cant go wrong with it. Will be king of resale values.

2 C : Chevy Optra 1.6. Got everything (almost) that the 1.8 has. Nice ride quality. Not so great to drive.

3. SUV : Not for you. At 5000 km per year, you would hardly be using the diesel economy. And the ride quality is no great shakes either.

Since you already have a hatch, go for a sedan. More so the Fiat Petra. Test-drive it and you will take it home with you.

GTO
Old 12th September 2004, 00:11   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

gotta agree with GTO...
the petra or NHC it is....
the NHC is betterthan the optra while the petra allows you to get an all rounder mid-size sedan and would be my pick of the lot....
the NHC is a good option too but lacks the sturdy feel and power of the petra....

in hatches , u can check out the fusion and getz
Old 12th September 2004, 00:42   #5
SLK
Senior - BHPian

.. Well.. I were you... and IF I had no problems.. with Maruti... I would go for the Baleno....
The NHC is a serious 'no no' for me... 77bhp from Honda... Sorry NOWAY.
Fiat... haven't driven it... but.. sounds good... but again FIAT!!.... i'd avoid if I can.
Old 12th September 2004, 19:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

I guess Baleno.Its powerful and more than worth its price.To top it all its a Maruti.
But if u dunt like the Baleno,then head GTOs way.He`s given u the best of choices amongst all classes.
Cya.
Old 12th September 2004, 21:21   #7
BHPian

Fiat Petra,Baleno and NHC necessarily in that order
Old 13th September 2004, 00:41   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

gota agree with DOHC
i would go in that order and if i go for baleno , do remember to upgrade tyres to say 185/65r14 or 195/65/r14....
for increse in both handling and safety ( braking time and distance )
and preferably tubeless tyres
Old 13th September 2004, 01:28   #9
Senior - BHPian

i think it wud be between the petra and the baleno.even the scorpio can come inside your budget.
Old 16th September 2004, 15:09   #10

With a deep discount the Chevy Optra 1.6 base also fits into my budget now. I have read the reviews in team-bhp. Any other comments on this beast ?
Old 16th September 2004, 16:24   #11
BHPian

If you are ok with the looks, i think the NHC should be the best car in your budget - given your priority for comfort and resale value(petra is a strict no-no if you are considering resale value).
Else i think that the Optra 1.6 is a good overall package.
If you are looking at performance - baleno or ford ikon 1.6

Most Viewed