Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2004, 23:31   #1

I was considering the purchase of a Skoda RS Turbo.

I have two questions from those who may be familiar with this car:

1. The ground clearance specified is 134 mm, which appears low for India when compared to other cars (e.g. The Accord is 155 mm). Can someone who is driving this car comment on whether the low ground clearance has been a problem for them?

2. Is the engine in the RS Turbo the same as is in the 180BHP RS Turbo in the UK/Europe; i.e. with the K04 Turbo, drive-by-wire, etc. [ Basically, can the Indian RS Turbo be re-chipped to deliver 180+ BHP ?]

Thx.

Dreamer
Old 10th November 2004, 00:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

i dont know abt ur second question...but the first one i know...yes the ground clearance on the octavia is less by Indian standards and it does tend to scrape speedbreakers with alarming regularity if ur not careful with it. But that shud not keep u from buying this fabulous car.

Drifter

Old 10th November 2004, 03:08   #3
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (dreamer @ Nov. 09 2004,21:01)]2. Is the engine in the RS Turbo the same as is in the 180BHP RS Turbo in the UK/Europe; i.e. with the K04 Turbo, drive-by-wire, etc. [ Basically, can the Indian RS Turbo be re-chipped to deliver 180+ BHP ?]

Thx.

Dreamer
Its 150 bhp here. And bout the chip I donno but it was mentioned in one of the earlier threads check it out.
Old 10th November 2004, 03:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

The ground clearance is low and it ocasionally touches the speed breakers if u drive fast on it.the only thing u can do to avoid it to go really really slow on the breakers.But with 3 or more passengers in the car it surely will lick the breaker.

Secondly,the chip can be tuned to 180bhp.It costs bout 30000-40000INRs to do it.Not quite sure bout the cost factor,but it shud be around that much.

But its a fantastic car nevertheless.Go ahead with it and u'll certainly wont regret.

X
Old 10th November 2004, 03:30   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

The ground clearence is pathetic....I have driven a few frnds skoda and they touch down like mad...no wonder skoda offers a underbody protection package, stupid guys instead of offers such packages just increase the ground clearence!
Old 11th November 2004, 12:28   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Sahil @ Nov. 10 2004,01:00)]The ground clearence is pathetic....I have driven a few frnds skoda and they touch down like mad...no wonder skoda offers a underbody protection package, stupid guys instead of offers such packages just increase the ground clearence!
Hey Sahil,

I have rarely scrapped the undercarraige of my Octi, even fully loaded on really bad roads. Sure if you go over a 'breaker at 50kmph, its gonna hit!

And raising the car would just ruin the dynamics...look what happened with the Corolla!

Rt
Old 11th November 2004, 12:41   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

i think the octi rs can be chipped to produce 180hbp but will it be of any use
i mean like cmon its got 150 bhp and is one of the faster cars in india ....
nevertheless even my ikon scrapes bumpers occasionally but i dont complain ....
go for the octi and u wont regret it for years to come and if u want to be on the safe side, the underbody package is lways there
cheers
lamborghini
Old 11th November 2004, 12:56   #8
Team-BHP Support

i got a RS. since oct 7th. normally it has driver + 2.5 passengers in it. I have never hit a speedbreaker with this load even driving in the pothole/speedbreaker ridden surbubs like versova. when i go to my FIL's place at 7 bungalows there is one strech that had 4-5 speedbareakers. With driver+2.5 it has yet to hit any of these speedbreakers. However with driver+4 passengers it did hit one of these 4-5 speedbreakers.

it is a fantastic car. I like it. Only thing it has against it is the rear leg room and seat comfort. it reminds me of some earlier "driver's cars" that I have driven like the BMW318i/325ix, Audi 80, Saab 900/9000 etc. too bad we have such bad traffic and not enough room for pedestrians in mumbai.

like my wife said, with the RS we only see traffic as it covers the gaps between traffic so fast. it revs very freely (though I have not reved it much above 3k) so one does not even need to change gears too often.

Old 11th November 2004, 15:17   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (navin @ Nov. 11 2004,10:26)]like my wife said, with the RS we only see traffic as it covers the gaps between traffic so fast.
Lol, thats a good one

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ] it revs very freely (though I have not reved it much above 3k) so one does not even need to change gears too often.
Looks like a ghat trip needs to be planned for your near future!

cya
R
Old 11th November 2004, 15:37   #10
Team-BHP Support

i usually do not drive long distnaces. for trips to mahabelshwar/poona we hire a qualis and a driver or take the family accord any trip long than a 4 hr drive we fly.
Old 14th November 2004, 18:40   #11
BANNED

even a esteem touches the grond having 170mm ground clearance ur bound to ruin the underbody of the OCtavia however i suggest u buy the car as its amazin and increase its height.. or drive damn slow over the breakers then it might juss pass widout scrubbing it anwayz all the best for ur decision dreamer
Old 16th November 2004, 13:36   #12

Thanks to all who responded. I am test driving a RS today. Will see if I need toilet paper to clean its bottom after driving on the perpetually dug-up roads here in Gurgaon/Delhi. I did check with some firiends who own Octavias (other models, same ground clearance on paper), and they did not seem to have had any issues with the clearance.

-Dreamer
Old 16th November 2004, 15:05   #13
BANNED

most welcum dreamer all the best 4 ur decision..
Old 17th November 2004, 15:42   #14
Senior - BHPian

if the RS can be Tuned to 180bhp ,wat abt the fuel for it??? .
as i have heard that the detuned 150bhp RS requires atleast 93 octane to perform properly.
Old 17th November 2004, 20:09   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

bps coming out with 98 octane soon or so ive heard so there should be no problem
do tell us of the testdrive
BTW my ikon touches the ground over bigger than alowed speedbreakers enroute to pune so no problems there
cheer
lambo

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks