Performance & Drivability
Comfort of Passengers
Fuel efficiency
After Sales Service
Long Term Value for money

for average Indian urban family.

Old 21st November 2004, 00:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

Well, please understand that no car is going to be best in all the features that you want. So u have to either compromise a bit or set your priority on what feature for you is a must have and what feature you can let go off. So here is my take:
Performance & driveablity : Fiat Petra
Comfort: Any of the cars you listed except the Esteem.
Fuel Efficiency : Esteem
After sales service : Esteem & Getz.
Value for money: depends on whether the car is giving you what you want from it. For Example I consider my Palio S10 as a value for money car cuz it gives me smoking performance at a reasonable price.
I personally voted for the Petra and if you love to drive then you should take a good look at it. It's spacious , has the biggest boot among all , has amazing performance and is built like a tank. Another reason why i voted for it is because it is also the best in another feature that you haven't considered :- Safety.
Old 21st November 2004, 04:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

Has to be the Petra.

Shan2nu
Old 21st November 2004, 04:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

Getz is a nice car , but a bit expensive
Old 22nd November 2004, 00:55   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

get an ikon
would have recommended the petra as it fits all aspects except the FE and A.S.S
today went for a drive of the ikon 1.3 with my brother and even though he has a budget of upto 8l, he was bowled over by the ikon1.3 as it fitted the bill exactly - chaeffuer driven with occasional owner.
Old 22nd November 2004, 16:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

If you don't mind having Diesel and willing to go with Team-bhp's choice the Petra, you can also look at Palio D. It may not have as many horse as under Petra's hood, but it has good performance along with other Petra's features except the big trunk. You get the economy of Diesel as added value. And resale value may be better for Diesels after 4 - 5 years.
Old 22nd November 2004, 16:27   #7
BHPian

Would urge you to take a close look at the Getz. I had almost dismissed it from my radar until I checked it out along with the Palio nv and the Ikon Flair. At the risk of repeating myself, for the same price, the Getz offers much more value than the Ford sedan. That is, unless you are one of those that think that a higher price must necessarily get you a 3-boxer. If you're going to be driving primarily in the city, the boot would only get in the way, eh?

No, but jokes apart, the Getz in my opinion, definitely scores over the Ikon in terms of long term VFM and passenger comfort and definitely matches it in terms of your other 3 factors.

But, in the end, it is the test drive that matters. That was a piece of invaluable advice I got from the TeamBhp gang and which I am now in a position to pass on to you.

Have fun picking out your new car. I definitely am!
Old 22nd November 2004, 17:08   #8
BHPian

petra - if you are willing to go for a fiat(also very low FE)
flair - best package you have in this segment after the petra. fun to drive. looks good. great handling. decent ride. comfortable and spacious. FE: 11-12 in city 16 in highways. But loses out to the petra when it comes to performance.
Old 23rd November 2004, 21:37   #9

Thanks For valuable replies.
This weekend I will test drive the Getz.
Last week I went to the Hyundai showroom in Noida, and I was shocked by their beurocratic treatment. Sales rep. said that they don't have any brochure, then didn't even bother to take initiative to explain. I had to grab each info from his mouth. In the end he told test drive is not possible after 6 pm. It was 5:45. He said but test drive will not be over in 15 mins so come some other time. Then about pricing, loan etc. I had to make him sit. He was very reluctant to talk from the beginning. And after 3-4 mins. he just got up on his own and said that OK think over it and come if you decide to purchase, and here he was gone, while I was sitting there shocked.
I came back thinking about the promptness and attention we received when we went to Fiat showroom.
About the Getz I was not that much impressed. I will see what it holds during the test drive. As far the dealership is concerned to hell with them. I just want a good car for my money....
Meanwhile let your opinions flow.
Old 24th November 2004, 05:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hmm.......no Accent?? or does it not fall under the 5L mark??
Old 24th November 2004, 21:54   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

deeps
accent begins from 5.3 lacs onward

Most Viewed