Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2007, 07:31   #1
rippergeo

SX4 conversion to run on LPG

We're retiring our 2yr old Accent CRDI at 70000km, Engine feels like its falling to bits,if the suspension does'nt get there first. Have had no MAJOR problems with reliability so far except the battery dying on us on a long trip, but these major problems seem imminent, and I want to sell before that happens.

We easily do in excess of 3000km a month, half in the city half on the highway.

I had my heart set on the Verna CRDI, but for 9 lakhs on the road for the top end sxi version with ABS, I'm thinking its not really such a great option.

Points for
1. Straight line acceleration
2. Straight line acceleration
3. Straight line acceleration

Points against
1. everyone has one in cochin now
2. doesnt handle too great
3 price of 9 lakhs OTR which is stretching my budget
4. will it fall to pieces like the Accent CRDI I'm using now

I could probably get an SX4 for 7.7lakhs fully loaded and then convert it to gas for economy.

Is that a viable alternative to the Verna crdi ?

Any help will be appreciated

PS- cant buy the swift VDI cos I already have 1(and i love it)
cant buy a logan(crappy looks, leper status cos of the cheap car tag)
cant buy ford fiesta TDCI( anemic engine,dont like americans)
cant buy indigo etc(cos i HATE it)

Please please please .......

Old 8th November 2007, 12:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

Why not have a look at the optra diesel amazing vfm ...
Old 8th November 2007, 12:42   #3
Senior - BHPian

I am 100% sure you can convert the SX4 to LPG. But PLEASE keep these things in mind:

1. Be prepared to lose your engine warranty
2. PLEASE get only the best possible sequential LPG kit available. Dont even think of installing the basic MPFI kit. There is too much money at stake with your SX4.
3. Check with ARAI or local RTO for kit approval. Not sure whether approval has come yet. May take a few months. No approval from ARAI as on Feb 2007

Another option is the Cedia LPG. Good kit is used - BRC sequential kit. May have to stretch the budget a little. Nothing comes close to the factory fitted and serviced kit.
Old 8th November 2007, 13:01   #4
BHPian

I suggest an Optra Magnum, Its all you need against the others, But then since you hate the Indigo is there anything much left for Diesel power
Old 8th November 2007, 14:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

Since you are anemic to american cars, umm let me think then Optra might not be the choice. You are rejecting almost all the car manufacturers currently in India. I think you can try Innova/Skoda/Cedia. These cars are also good.

As far as the conversionof SX4 to LPG, You are certain to loose the warranty and moreover, ARAI has still not approved any LPG kits for SX4. If you bent upon plonking LPG into sx4, then it may be illegal. sx4 is good car as it is.

If you are concerned with FE, then go for the above cars mentioned.
Old 8th November 2007, 14:54   #6
Senior - BHPian

Since you are anemic to American cars, and seem to like Korean cars despite your saying that they fall apart after 70K, why not stick to Verna?
Old 17th November 2007, 16:59   #7
rippergeo

Thanks all, especially mail4ajo, seeing the replies it was obvious that the gas conversion in an SX4 was a stupid idea. anyway...heart says verna, lets see if it lasts longer than the long suffering accent crdi.I bit the bullet, getting verna crdi with ABS fully loaded version. delivery in a week. time to update my signature, what say?

Old 17th November 2007, 21:35   #8

enquire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
Thanks all, especially mail4ajo, seeing the replies it was obvious that the gas conversion in an SX4 was a stupid idea. anyway...heart says verna, lets see if it lasts longer than the long suffering accent crdi.I bit the bullet, getting verna crdi with ABS fully loaded version. delivery in a week. time to update my signature, what say?
i know that you might not want to hear this but one of my friends fitted an lpg kit to his sx4 and he had a lot of problems. everyone including the maruti guys said it is because of the kit and the usage of lpg made the nozzles sticky. then his engine started missing and even the maruti guys could not solve the problem. a very experienced mechanic who works on imported cars finally solved his engine missing problems. he said the crankshaft timing was improper. so please do take care if you want to do this. just enquire with few other people as well if they have done it and if they had problems. by the way the lpg kit on my friends car has been taken out as well because of the problems created
Old 18th November 2007, 21:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

Cedia is amazing car to drive and own with LPG option its more attractive, its VFM too I suggest Cedia LPG.

Fitting LPG in any cars within warranty period won't make sense except for small cars. The reason it takes sometime to stablize LPG in most of the occassions.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 18th November 2007, 21:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

I agree with Ravi. Fitting LPG within the warranty period will definately void off warranty. Moreover, the power plant of SX4 is with new type of eigine called "M Series" for which even ARAI has not yet approved LPG kits.

Going with factory fitted LPG cars would be much preferable. Rest depends on your decision.
Old 19th November 2007, 00:27   #11
Senior - BHPian

If i was in your place with the same budget, i would not go for a Verna, nah, its overpriced IMO, but a Fieata. The Fiesta is a fantastic car, has excellent braking, superb handling and very refined diesel engine. I rate the Fiesta higher then the Verna anyday. Fiesta is not American, its more european then anything else. Then there is the Magnum and also check the Getz CRDi.

Dont even think of converting the SX4 to LPG, you will face lots of problems, there is already a thread on the same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
@ Karan 561 - It is not wise to replace your car with a brand new car which would be put on LPG and you will surely be out of waranty. The SX4 is a new car with a new engine, we are not aware of what problems it has so it wont be advisable to go LPG, instead i would suggest you to go for a Verna or Fiesta D at ~ prices. Better still wait for sometime the 1.6JTD 120bhp SX4 is coming.
Old 21st November 2007, 10:01   #12
rippergeo

Its going to be the verna guys. cant resist the diesel. the torque just reels me in

Old 21st November 2007, 10:35   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Cedia LPG.
No warrantee issues and as I read on other threads here, the LPG induction system in Cedia is not carb, it's sequential (don't know what that exactly means, but was shocked to see all Maruti LPG offerings use carb and that's ridiculous)...
Old 21st November 2007, 10:55   #14
Senior - BHPian

Why not Cedia Select LPG?
Old 21st November 2007, 11:15   #15
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Why not Cedia Select LPG?
economywise, it'll never be as cheap as a nice diesel, thats why. also i have a thing against HM for torturing the indian populace with the amby(just die dammit)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks