Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2007, 21:55   #1

5-7 lacs 7 seater, city compatible, 4*4, suggestions!

Alright, searched and time to ask:

I probably am asking for something that's not there, but a close match will help. Criterion below:

Price range - 5-7 Lacs
Maintenance & After Sales Service (A.S.S.) expectations - obviously low
Average distance traveled per month - city travel, about an 20-30 km daily and about 500-800 km a few weekends a month. 2-3000 km per month.
Where car will be mostly used (city / highway / rough roads etc) - City during the week. Hills and light offtrail, during weekends. I don't plan to drive off road like Rubicon valley, or ford through streams, probably good enough engine to drive uphill without seeming like a burden.
Chauffer driven / self driven - Self driven
Whether the vehicle will be shared by other members of family - yes, wife. So the looks are critical.
Any specific requirements from car (ex. Better luggage space, responsive engine, rear seat comfort) - Yes, plenty of storage space and a roof rack. (Roof rack is critical, atleast copatibility)
How long you intend on keeping this car (and how important resale is to you) - Five years or more.
Old 21st November 2007, 22:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

the new Bolero

Think the top end cost less than 6 OTR. Its got great looks. Just add a neat alloys and a wider tyre.

Was wondering why we dnt have any here at TBHP...:(
Old 21st November 2007, 22:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are a few, Manikjeet has one, and Khaadu also bought one, unfortunately it got stolen.

There is no other 4*4 other then the Bolero in your budget, also i am not sure wheter Bolero comes in 4*4
Old 21st November 2007, 23:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

I do not know about Bolero, But only thing that comes to my mind when you say 4*4 is Safari EX but that is going to be 10 Lacs OTR or so in Bangy.. QuUite high than your budget.

Other options can be Safari LX ( Normal ) and Base Model Scorpio. Both these cars without 4*4 are very good decent off roaders ( If not serious off roading that is !! )

Both these should be around the 7 - 8 Lacs Mark.

If your wife is also driving I suggest go for the Base Scorpio - Brilliant SUV for the price - Also I think they have a lower priced base variant now.

Last edited by vkochar : 21st November 2007 at 23:07.
Old 21st November 2007, 23:10   #5
BHPian

Hi,
Bolero does come in the 4x4 avatar, very capable at that, though may not be as good as the other light Mahindra/Willys when it comes to pure off roading, but good enough for a mix of comfort and occasional off the road activities.

If your concern is only climbing winding mountain roads with ease and not exactly indulging in mud and slush, a 4x2 would also serve the purpose. Looks may be a little crude for ladies, but that depends on individual opinions, driving it is a pleasure always with good view all around and the rugged feeling.

Regards.
Old 22nd November 2007, 00:30   #6
Senior - BHPian

Xd3pu

Bolero has a 4x4 for about 7lac out the door. I drove one 2 weeks ago and it stunk. It has absolutely no power and no feel thru the steering wheel. IF you order the 4x4 then you have to get the XD3PU. No, this is not a robot model from Star Wars, it is a dead dog of a motor. The only way you are going to get a 4x4 to do what you want for your budget is to get lucky and find something used.

See ---> Mahindra Bolero
Old 22nd November 2007, 00:37   #7
Team-BHP Support

How about the Gurkha ?
Old 22nd November 2007, 10:34   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
How about the Gurkha ?
Gurkha, and lady driven?!
Either she would faint, else the onlookers would.
Old 22nd November 2007, 10:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

Within that budget and a new car and a 4x4. The only option i see is the Bolero. Just get a test drive of that.

Alternatively for some good space, a roof rack compatibility and lower spare parts price, just give a look at the Indigo Marina. THough not good for off roading, i think it meets most of your other requirements.

My suggestion and what i would do... Pick a used Safari 4x2. At that range you could get one in pretty good condition. (Unless you are planning some real good off road adventure trips.
Old 22nd November 2007, 11:02   #10
Team-BHP Support

You don't need offroad for mild offtrail. A Simple car with high GC would do.
If you are looking at safari, the LX 4x2 is just outside your budget.
Ditto for Scorpio.
The only 4x4s in that range are the Trax and bolero, both of which are pretty crude.

For mild to severe offtrailing we have used Indigo and indica. They are tough cars. 2WD means if you get stuck you have to be towed out. But if you talking about dirt trails, there is no problem with a normal sedan as long as you have enough GC.
Old 22nd November 2007, 11:09   #11
BHPian

How much is Scorpio Getaway? Seems to be a good choice, and it comes with 4x4
Old 22nd November 2007, 11:16   #12
BHPian

if you are not doing the rubicon trail types, then why even mention the 4x4!!! that is only for a special necessity. am sure, for your needs a scorpio dx crde will suffice. but will touch the higher side of your budget. it has more than enough oomph to get you over village roads, has the looks and can be driven by your lady.

a safari is plainly over-priced for all the jingles and rattles it comes with, well literally.

i too have exactly the same requirement sheet and budget in my hand as yours. so i have zeroed in on the scorpio. but a 1st or a 2nd hand is what is to be solved yet for me.

happy hunting.

Last edited by gbpscars : 22nd November 2007 at 11:18.
Old 22nd November 2007, 11:40   #13
Senior - BHPian

Bolero seems to be the only model which suits your budget(if u wanna go for new vehicle) ,But this vehicle is absolutely spartan when it comes to interiors,engine is nothing to talk about,gear box tries to get away from smooth shifts as far as possible....engine response is again same story
I had a 2005 bolero di( lowest model in the range) but disposed it off within a year...certainly not a vehicle for woman driving...
u can go for used safari instead ...
Old 22nd November 2007, 12:00   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Why not Maruti Gypsi Hard Top?
Old 22nd November 2007, 12:07   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
the new Bolero

Think the top end cost less than 6 OTR. Its got great looks. Just add a neat alloys and a wider tyre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
There are a few, Manikjeet has one, and Khaadu also bought one, unfortunately it got stolen.

There is no other 4*4 other then the Bolero in your budget, also i am not sure wheter Bolero comes in 4*4
Well, i have one...a 2WD version though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks