Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Whats your pick?
Chevrolet Optra 1.6 19 76.00%
New Honda City 6 24.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2005, 00:16   #31
BHPian

optra any day over NHC... NHC is too overpriced for what its worth.

sould have been priced at 6 lacs
Old 5th July 2005, 00:40   #32
Senior - BHPian

Optra anyday!!!!

i dont know about the rest..but with the Optra i prefer the older hood and grill style than the current one...
Old 6th July 2005, 01:16   #33
BANNED

everyone`s agreeing with the chevy???????????????????what i have seen is that the new honda gives around 12 kmpl.whereas the chevy gives around 6 - 7kmpl.moreover the engine is not meant for the enthusiasts.its more like the opel astra kinda car.i see the chevy in place of the current opel astra`s position five years from now.or may be even before that.

this is india.masses here choose that stuff in which they see profits.they will manage a ride with 77bhp and 12kmpl rather than giving frequent visits to the fuel station in a chevy just b`coz its a chevy.even the spares are quite expesive for the CHEVY than the NHC.

but !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!i personally would neither go for a honda just coz of good mileage nor will i go for the chevy coz its very expensive to maintain.i will rather wait for sum time coz a lot of new cars are hitting the indian roads these days like the fabia,focus etc etc.even the hyundai accent is getting a face lift in the beginig 2006.so it`d be better 2 wait for a while rather than buying sumthing which will be a big turn off even after spending 7 - 8 lacs.
Old 6th July 2005, 01:57   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
new honda gives around 12 kmpl.whereas the chevy gives around 6 - 7kmpl.
after hearing inputs from quite a few optra owners..i'd say it gives around 9kmpl in the city which is decent...

Quote:
engine is not meant for the enthusiasts.its more like the opel astra kinda car.
and the NHC engine is for the enthusiast?
the very notion of performance its subjective differs from person to person..

Quote:
this is india.masses here choose that stuff in which they see profits.they will manage a ride with 77bhp and 12kmpl rather than giving frequent visits to the fuel station in a chevy
thr masses in this poll chose the optra over the NHC..all members are indians...
Quote:
a chevy just b`coz its a chevy
ots not a Chevy..its Daewoo!

Last edited by turbo_lover : 6th July 2005 at 02:00.
Old 6th July 2005, 03:44   #35
Senior - BHPian

The Chevy in this case anyday.Its a much better overall car to drive in the city as well as the highway.Moreover,it looks more classy than the NHC.

X
Old 6th July 2005, 12:46   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister
everyone`s agreeing with the chevy???????????????????what i have seen is that the new honda gives around 12 kmpl.whereas the chevy gives around 6 - 7kmpl.....wait for a while rather than buying sumthing which will be a big turn off even after spending 7 - 8 lacs.
Well I have heard of some people who are getting 10kmpl in the NHC and of some who claim 13 kmpl in the Optra 1.6. It all boils down to how the person drives.

Besides, as some one has rightly pointed out, it is not a Chevy, it is a Daewoo - who, imho, made better cars than Hyundai.
Old 6th July 2005, 13:23   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative
Quote:
Originally Posted by twister
everyone`s agreeing with the chevy???????????????????what i have seen is that the new honda gives around 12 kmpl.whereas the chevy gives around 6 - 7kmpl.....wait for a while rather than buying sumthing which will be a big turn off even after spending 7 - 8 lacs.
Well I have heard of some people who are getting 10kmpl in the NHC and of some who claim 13 kmpl in the Optra 1.6. It all boils down to how the person drives.

Besides, as some one has rightly pointed out, it is not a Chevy, it is a Daewoo - who, imho, made better cars than Hyundai.
We are back to the age-old subject of fuel-efficiency. When you buy an upscale car such as the Optra, its assumed that you don't mind spending some extra bucks on fuel. And besides, from a different thread by Rudra, I think the Optra does offer 13.5 kmpl (highway). Thats no mean figure for a car its size.
Old 6th July 2005, 13:25   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by camry93
We are back to the age-old subject of fuel-efficiency. When you buy an upscale car such as the Optra, its assumed that you don't mind spending some extra bucks on fuel. And besides, from a different thread by Rudra, I think the Optra does offer 13.5 kmpl (highway). Thats no mean figure for a car its size.
Dude, Rudra has a 1.8. I am talking about the 1.6 which is far better F.E. wise. Besides that I am totally in agreement with you.
Old 6th July 2005, 19:57   #39
BHPian

Optra my choice!
What about service costs? any inputs?
Old 6th July 2005, 21:33   #40
BHPian

Remember the battle between Honda City and Mitsubishi Lancer some 6 years bacK? It was very close! In fact, in one particular month Lancer outsold City. I have a feeling, in the long run, NHC will win the battle. The Hondas have very good re-sale value too.

The members here seem to be totally on the Optra side, has anyone got the sales figures of say the last 6 months?

Personally, I have driven the NHC and it is a great car. I have not driven the Optra so can't compare the two.

M
Old 6th July 2005, 23:25   #41
BHPian

May be not a very fair comparison. But i am trying to discuss the FE figures in available from the mags.

Autocar
Optra 1.8 (City/Highway) = 8.4/13
0-100 = 10.61
NHC (City/Highway) = 10.9/16.6
0-100 = 13.11

Overdrive
Optra 1.8 (City/Highway) = 7.8/16.5
0-100 = 13.1
Optra 1.8 (City/Highway) = 7.4/14.5
0-100 = 11.1
NHC (City/Highway) = 16.6/27
0-100 = 14

Note the FE figures for NHC. How could there be such a huge difference in test conditions! Or they dont test properly! 27Kmpl on highway for a 1.5L engine car sounds very colorful. has any one got those figures in real?
Old 7th July 2005, 01:10   #42
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_lover
after hearing inputs from quite a few optra owners..i'd say it gives around 9kmpl in the city which is decent...

and the NHC engine is for the enthusiast?
the very notion of performance its subjective differs from person to person..

thr masses in this poll chose the optra over the NHC..all members are indians...
ots not a Chevy..its Daewoo!
buddy i aint takin about honda being good either.and yea,i`ve seen a lot of optra owners who are not satisfied with its fe at all.

and talkin bout the masses,please look at the poll once again.25 ppl can not represent the whole mass.and by the way.every one can see the position of the optra as compared to the nhc in real life as well.i guess i dont see that much of chevy rolling on the roads as the honda.do u????

and optra was a daewoo project,nubira i guess.now taken over by chevy.so u cant call it a daewoo.u wont be running looking for daewoo spares for an optra.its a chevy now.(u wont call pakinstan india after the division. wud u????)so it is simple.optra`s a chevy and not a daewoo.ok?

Last edited by twister : 7th July 2005 at 01:16.
Old 7th July 2005, 11:48   #43
BHPian

Honda strategy

Think of this. NHC has only one engine option. So the price spectrum between the variants are really low (unlike Optra or any other). No major extra accessory options! keep it simple. High on FE, big on space and low on price one and only engine type. So the consumers not confused and they know clearly the value of the prouduct!

And all souls that are power hungry will be shown a Civic one day and that will be a hit too. FE=NHC, Power=Civic, Upmarket/Luxury=Accord.
That sounds like a clean strategy? or not!
Old 7th July 2005, 12:13   #44
Senior - BHPian

Why are you guys comparing the 1.8 Optra to the NHC? The topic is about the 1.6 Optra.
Old 7th July 2005, 12:32   #45
BHPian

Shouldn't this thread be in the "What Car??" Category??

Manish

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks