Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Whats your pick?
Chevrolet Optra 1.6 19 76.00%
New Honda City 6 24.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2005, 02:17   #46
Senior - BHPian

I test drove Optra, NHC, Baleno, Ikon and Acent extensively over the last month when I was out in the market looking for a car...

1. NHC :
Pros :
1. Good FE
2. Nice (Debatable) looks
3. Nice interior space..veru space efficient design
4. BEST resale value (at least perceived to be)
Cons
1. Harsh ride..more than wanted "feel" of the road
2. I drove two test cars....both had developed rattles that surfaced when driven over slightly rough cement road.
3. Three abreast was a bit uncomfortable in the rear seat
4. Arrogant salesman...take it or leave it attitude....only one dealership in whole AP so dont know what ASS will be ???
5. Pathetic (REALLY PATHETIC) Power output...if you want to show off...will certainly be disappointed in terms of performance...
6. Pathetic handling and HUGE body roll

Optra :
Pros :
1. Best ride
2. Pickup better than NHC
3. Nice interiors though NHC GXI was livlier then the Bse Optra
4. Attentive sales team

Cons
1. Bad FE (Most friends talk about single digit mileage in low traffic conditions and 13 on highway)
2. ASS no too many dealers around anyway
3. The car I drove had the hand brake indicator always on was told it was a loose connection (electrical probs in a 2K old car??)
4. AC does not cool as fast of there are 5 on board..takes its own sweet time and you cannot feel chill even after 20 mins of driving (with 5 on board)

Accent
Pros
1. Reliable car
2. MOST Rattle Free (all the accents I have with my friends have been completely rattle free even after 4 years of driving)
3. Reasonable resale value
4. Smooth ride

Cons
1. Little Power in 1.5...reasonable power in 1.6
2. 6 footers (me) cannot sit on rear seat...head touches the roof unless you sit in a courched position
3. Less powerful (both the 1.5 and 1.6...in fact the more powerful "tornado" 1.6 is 4 sec slower in 0-140K run compared to Baleno..according to An autocar india comparison study)
4. quite a bit of body roll...note very exciting to drive
5. Not very high FE...

Ikon
Pros
1. Josh m/C...top trump in part throttle responses
2. Best Handling and low body roll
3. Good spacous rear seat.

Cons
1. Looks dated to me at least
2. Unreliable...many friends have suffered one problem or the other
3. Poor FE
4. Unrefined...too much road noise filters through
5. No tilt steering etc

Baleno :

Pros :
1. BEST Pickup of all the cars discussed...only car to do 100KMPH in second gear
2. Good FE...a study (cant remember ODrive or ACI) in 2004 reprted 13.2 KMPL avg by baleno owners...not in their test ride
3. Best Engine...very torquey and very revv happy
4. Reasonable (less compared to NHC / Optra) Interior space..still three abreast easier then NHC probably due to a larger seat?? (Width Baleno 1690 mm vs NHC 1690 mm..still Baleno seat feels wider)
5. Excellant ride..second only to Optra and possibly sismilar to accent.
6. Best A/C...even with 5 onboard in peak summer..you dont need a sunfilm and car cools in a minute..
Cons
1. Feels light
2. Design not to everyone's liking...(though Black Balenos with alloys and wide tyres look terrific to me...in fact better than a Black NHC to me)
3. Dull interiors...not a patch on what City / Optra Offers you...
4. Resale may be poor compared to NHC/Accent though may be better than Ikon and not sure about resale of optra with 8.5 KMPL and Gas at Rs 47/litre

so I bought a black Baleno as It was cheaper on the wallet too..especially the LXI Variant...fitted it with bigger alloy and wider tyres and saw it metamorph in a real good handler.....

Last edited by Buffetfan : 8th July 2005 at 02:20. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 10th July 2005, 20:03   #47
BHPian

Many members in this forum has expressed that either the NHC is underpowered or close to being underpowered?
Any feedback on optra 1.6. Does that car has adequate power to match its weight?

The Ikon 1.3 for example is a very underpowered car and with A/C on it sucks to drive.
Old 11th July 2005, 13:52   #48
Senior - BHPian

I guess people go for a honda, just because of that .. it's a Honda .. they feel they are investing their money in a minimum risk area ..

Also, I feel that for people who would be using their cars primarily (say 90%) of their mileage commuting within city limits .. performance may not be that big an issue .. and even if it is , probably we should look at 0-60kmph or at most 0-80kmph times ..

I've tried a lot to get used to the looks of the NHC .. finally I found a way .. It's generally the rear of the car that bothers me .. so if you look at a snap of the city from the side and hide the rear (basically make it a hatch) ... then it looks good !!

What are the OTR prices (say mumbai) of the NHC EXi (not GXi M/T) and the Optra 1.6 Base ?
Old 11th July 2005, 15:31   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc
I've tried a lot to get used to the looks of the NHC .. finally I found a way .. It's generally the rear of the car that bothers me .. so if you look at a snap of the city from the side and hide the rear (basically make it a hatch) ... then it looks good !!
And if you do that, hey presto - you have a Honda Jazz (the hatchback version sold in Europe in the supermini segment as a competitor to the VW Polo, Ford Fiesta et al). There have been reports that Honda may introduce the Jazz in India, but here, pricing will be key - how much cheaper than the NHC can they make it without cutting quality unacceptably?
this was all
Old 18th September 2005, 04:11   #50

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

anyday the optra ...it has the snob value...better interiors...better ride...better handling....better looks......Hey i dont know y u even brought up this question....(in the left corner wearing a chevy badge ,we have a winner...ting ting ting...the OPTRA)(and the crowd goes wild)heheheh sorry got carried away there...
Old 18th September 2005, 10:21   #51
Senior - BHPian

Definitly the Optra 1.6, now its become more fuel efficient and it not at all underpowered like the NHC. The NHC doesnot have adequate power and coughs on the highway! Also NHC gives same FE to the Optra 1.6, since it needs more RPM to move.
Old 18th September 2005, 10:51   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA
Definitly the Optra 1.6, now its become more fuel efficient and it not at all underpowered like the NHC. The NHC doesnot have adequate power and coughs on the highway! Also NHC gives same FE to the Optra 1.6, since it needs more RPM to move.

Have u test driven the Optra VGIS personally? How can you say that optra and nhc give the same FE. Manufacturers have a tendency to exagerate the FE figures. I still dont think the new optra can return figures like the NHC.

Drifter
Old 18th September 2005, 11:57   #53
Senior - BHPian

yeah ...no dbout the optra cant beat the NHC in terms of FE ..is one ting you gotta compromise on when you decide to buy the optra ...
i also feel that the base (stripped down) model optra is a not a good bet compared to the fully loaded NHC ..one can get a decent deal in around 8.4Lakhs for the optra ..so your spending quite a bit on top of the NHC price tag ...

if the comparision is strictly between the base 1.6 optra and the NHC ..i'd say the NHC is a better buy (not considering performance figures)...
after extensively test driving the NHC i found it adequately powered for city conditions ...altough our final choice was the optra , i feel i convinced my dad about the crappy NHC looks and the optras higher segment look and feel ...
practicality wise the NHC is a much better buy ... (not saying i am not happy with the optra)

cheers

Last edited by turbo_lover : 18th September 2005 at 12:01.
Old 18th September 2005, 12:57   #54
Team-BHP Support

The Optra design (Daewoo Nubira) is very much Italian and done by pininfarina Design. Check this link:
http://www.pininfarina.it/eng/galler...tato_ricerca=1
Old 18th September 2005, 13:04   #55
BHPian

Optra hatchback

Optra hatchback is supposed to arrive around Diwali. Dont know how it will fly in the current market. It is supposed to be 70k cheaper than the sedan. sounda very costly proportion for a 1.6 engine version!
Old 18th September 2005, 13:55   #56
BHPian

Optra recently is working hard towards VFM in the class. The vehicle is good , feature rich and meets the criteria for most the target segment customers.
Old 19th September 2005, 03:31   #57
BHPian

First post ppl.........
i have both the vehicles that are under debate...........
personally own the NHC and uncle owns the Optra......
First the NHC.........

Pro..
1. Ease of driving.............car is very comfortable....tall design a
2. good interiors.............air condition is good......
3. plastics and assorted stuff feel good not tacky like ikon
4. average is good..........personally get 12-13 in city driving and 16-17 on highway...........with a/c on ppl,,,,,,,,however my speed is limited to 80 kmph cruising and till 100 for overtaking
5. power tho less is enough for city drivin and personally have gone to 170 on speedo...................not on expressway but for those who frm mulund area.........stretch from gandhi nagar link road on eastern express and before flyover going above airoli bridge junction.

cons>
1. vehicle body bad.............paint and metal quality not very good
2. average as claimed by manufactures false
3. gearing cud have been better...........especially for 1000 to 2200 rpm band......vehicle picks up speed after this band
4. power steering acts up sometimes nothing serious if u used to it. just a jhatka
5. rev limiter shuts u down hard if u cross 5500 rpm in 1st gear..........gud touch tho to preserve engine

Optra base 1.6

Pro .
1. GM vehicle
2. interiors nice......especially the chrome trims
3. gearing is quite gud......but 1.8 methinks is better as vehicle was designed for that engine....
4. build quality

cons.
1. daewoo nubira
2. fake wood does not appeal to all......they could have gone for really gud plastics.
3. vehicle was built for 1.8 so 1.6 sometimes feels spongy....
4. price tag shud be lesser for the 1.6 atleast
5. gm dealer network needs improvement..........
Old 19th September 2005, 04:09   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pro .
1. GM vehicle
2. interiors nice......especially the chrome trims
3. gearing is quite gud......but 1.8 methinks is better as vehicle was designed for that engine....
GM Vs Honda - I'd take the honda badge anyday !
interiors - i have a base 1.6 ..i dont see Chrome anywhere
gearing - both 1.6 and 1.8 have the daewoo gearbox ..but was designed for the 1.6 Daewoo motor not the 1.8 Holden ..

Quote:
4. price tag shud be lesser for the 1.6 atleast
@6,99 Lakhs for a car as the size of an Octavia i think they are doing a heck of job trying to keep costs low make a profit...
what they can do is probably lower the price of the top end 1.6 variant (9,03Lakhs) ..
cheers
Old 19th September 2005, 17:10   #59
Senior - BHPian

First things first, this is Optra vs NHC i dont see Baleno should be coming in here anywhere please

Quote:
interiors - i have a base 1.6 ..i dont see Chrome anywhere
gearing - both 1.6 and 1.8 have the daewoo gearbox ..but was designed for the 1.6 Daewoo motor not the 1.8 Holden
Look at the door handles inside or maybe only the LT has it!

Now all the 1.6 Optras will be having the 1.8gearbox!

Quote:
lower the price of the top end 1.6 variant (9,03Lakhs) ..
Its way expensiva costs you Rs. 10,70 OTR Thane Registered!

Quote:
vehicle body bad.............paint and metal quality not very good
What are you talking about i am confused! Honda paint is wonderful, never seen bad paint on a OHC leave alone a NHC? I guess is it particular with your car or its the weather conditions? Do you live near the sea!
Old 19th September 2005, 21:33   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now all the 1.6 Optras will be having the 1.8gearbox!
its not always usual to have the same gearbox for 2 engines with different specs...
the corsa 1.4 and the 1.6 come with different gearboxes...
incase of the Optra its there to reduce cost !

and the comparo is between the
Base 1.6 Optra Vs NHC gxi .. let us not include the Baleno or the Petra ..

-NHC GXI interiors is one of the best in business while optra is very plain ..

-performance of the NHC as mentioned earlier is adequate for city conditions, but optra is way revvier, is equally light and much much surefooted..

-NHC average drops remarkably if your doing 100k's on the Highway..you need to maintain around 80 k's...

-Optra is bigger heavier has has amuch better ride comfort whereas NHC feels bouncy and road feedback at the steering is a bit too much ...

-NHC seems to havea better A/c ,1.6 struggles to cool the cabin ....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks