Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2007, 11:40   #1
Senior - BHPian

Baleno FASCINATION

I own Swift Vxi (non-abs) 2005 model which has completed 35000 kms. Car is doing fantastic with rattling a only concern. Recently returned from service and these extra noises been arrested well, but I dont know how long its going to hold. For my usage the space available in Swift is completely fine or since this is my first car I got adjusted to what it offers

PS: Before finalizing on this new Swift, I did tried OHC in second hand market in vain.

I know a Black Baleno 2004 model Lxi up for sale in a months time. Car has done below 30,000 kms & well maitainted. He don't have any idea on pricing and says he is open for market rate. My guess is it should go inbetween 3,50,000 - 3,65,000

Hence if I shell another maximum Rs.25 k - 35 k extra, I could own a Baleno (though II owner of the car) (guess is that I can sell Swift at Rs.3.25 L)

Why Baleno?

No pressing factor. May be extra space inside the car. I wanted to explore the option as the car thats up for sale is from very well known source, hence if exchanging is a good option, wanted to execute it

I know the depriciation of Baleno would be higher than Swift. But I intended to keep this car atleast for another 3-4 years. Hence I am not worried about resale value.

My questions: Wanted to find out how Baleno fares against Swift on the following

1. Maintenance
2. Safety

Also is it possible to swap the alloys in Swift to Baleno (even iam okay for tyre upgrade)
----------------------------

Due to the above confusion, I have put a hold for addition in Spoiler & Tyre upgradation in Swift

Please help
Old 3rd December 2007, 11:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

After reading your thread I get the feeling that you have already made up your mind to go for Baleno. . Graduating yourself from hatch to sedan. Hmmm..looks Ok to me. As far as your queries:

1) Maintenance: Might not be as Swift since the spare parts will not be in production. The A** will be anyways supported by MASS. Moreover, with your type of driving (37K kms in 2 to 2 1/2) yrs the manitenance would be OK. You may need not spend more.

2) Safety: Sedans are always better than hatches in terms of safety. These type of vehicles will not wobble/rattle an inch even if you touch 140kmph unlike your current swift. The brakes should also be OK. As far as the airbags and other safety features, it would be preferable to have in this vehicle but LXi does not come with it. Hence we need to grin and accept.

Hope this helps.
Old 3rd December 2007, 12:12   #3
BHPian

will second the post by snaronikar. you will not get any problems with the Baleno spares. Resale value is definitely going to be not too good since it's discontinued. Go for a test-drive and decide from the seat of your pants.

The Baleno takes 13" tyres.
Old 3rd December 2007, 13:54   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Though they are from different segments, car per car, the Swift is a better hatch than the Baleno a sedan. Its far more modern and even without a boot...weighs just as much as a Baleno. You have owned your Swift since new, and firmly state that it has no problems or issues whatsoever. And that you dont need the extra space of a sedan either.

My suggestion:

1. Hold on to the Swift, and buy a better *new* sedan after 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 years. You would have sufficiently used your Swift by then.

2. Increase the feel-good factor of your Swift. Get better rubber, ICE or even soup it up a little bit.
Old 3rd December 2007, 14:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

You know the Swift from day one, which is not the case with the Baleno. However reliable the source, it still was used by someone else and who knows what all baggage it brings with it.

I would suggest you stick to the Swift. And wait to upgrade to a new sedan.

P.S. : The space definitely is more in the Baleno plus there is a boot (if you need it ie) and ofcourse city drivability is better. But it is always better to go for a new car IMO.
Old 3rd December 2007, 14:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
As far as the airbags and other safety features, it would be preferable to have in this vehicle but LXi does not come with it. Hence we need to grin and accept.
Even VXi and other variant of Baleno don't come with safety features such as airbags/ABS. Correct me if I am wrong!

Last edited by iTNerd : 3rd December 2007 at 14:04.
Old 3rd December 2007, 14:06   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Though they are from different segments, car per car, the Swift is a better hatch than the Baleno a sedan. Its far more modern and even without a boot...weighs just as much as a Baleno. You have owned your Swift since new, and firmly state that it has no problems or issues whatsoever. And that you dont need the extra space of a sedan either.

My suggestion:

1. Hold on to the Swift, and buy a better *new* sedan after 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 years. You would have sufficiently used your Swift by then.

2. Increase the feel-good factor of your Swift. Get better rubber, ICE or even soup it up a little bit.
I second that opinion. though I am a Baleno owner myself and it is unfair to compare a swift with a baleno, I would prefer to hold on to a car that I have known from the first day. and if you want more power then spend that additional money on performance upgrades on the swift and it would run as good as a stock baleno
Old 3rd December 2007, 14:29   #8
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot for the feedbacks. I decided to stick with my Swift. Better rubber and spoiler on way to my Swift.

If anyone interested in 2004 Baleno which is up for sale at end Dec'07, PM me
Old 3rd December 2007, 14:35   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Thanks a lot for the feedbacks. I decided to stick with my Swift. Better rubber and spoiler on way to my Swift.
and what about a header and ffe along with a headjob? a mild cam can come afterwards
Old 3rd December 2007, 15:19   #10
Senior - BHPian

A 2004 baleno shouldn't cost over 3 in chennai.
I was offered a 2004 silver lxi(with some decent ICE) about 6 months back for around 3.25.Apparently, he was ready to let it go for 3.
Another example,a chennai BHPian picked up a beam blue one for around that price.
Old 3rd December 2007, 15:30   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post

If anyone interested in 2004 Baleno which is up for sale at end Dec'07, PM me
Good decision.. There is a saying "don't try to fix what is not broken".. Very apt in your case !!
Old 3rd December 2007, 15:37   #12
Senior - BHPian

SB's Baleno '05 was quoted for Rs.4.5L for exchange with SX4. Difference of Rs.1.5 L for a '04 model ?

Thanks Nitrous for that info. Will get in touch with you for swift Rubber

Baleno which I mentioned in this thread will be up for sale in Chennai only by the end of Dec'07.

Last edited by Surprise : 3rd December 2007 at 15:39.
Old 3rd December 2007, 15:39   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise
SB's Baleno '05 was quoted for Rs.4.5L for exchange with SX4. Difference of Rs.1.5 L for a year old car?
I think there would be other factors (apart from year of make) like number of owners, car condition, kms driven etc, which would make a difference on the price. But still, yes, I am also surprised at the huge difference.
Old 3rd December 2007, 16:35   #14
Senior - BHPian

Good descision there mate !!! I agree with GTO.

You should definetely go ahead and pimp your ride

It will give you the feel good factor and also Swift is one of the best cars for customisations / mods etc.

Get some neat ICE & 195 or 205 tyres with bling bling alloys.

Nothing will look better than that !! Cheers !!
Old 3rd December 2007, 20:10   #15
Senior - BHPian

Well look at it this way, at the risk of sounding crude, would you trade in your wife? Cars are like wives - gorgeous to ogle at others' from a distance, a completely different story when they're yours.

Due apologies to all women. Just in jest - couldn't resist!

EDIT: Just saw you've made your mind up. Good thinking!

Most Viewed