Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2007, 00:19   #1
Senior - BHPian

'02 Skoda - to buy or not to buy

Hi everyone. My friend and I happened to check out a beautiful deep blue Skoda Octavia today which was up for sale. Here are the details:

1. 2002 - Mysore registration, 70k on the odometer
2. First owner
3. Petrol engine
4. No major scratches and no dents - very neatly maintained and drives around very well
5. Rear tires are worn out a little more than front - they may need a replacement
6. He is quoting 4.5 Lacs and we assume it can be reduced a wee bit.

I am in a dilemma. My friend was looking for a used car and now I'm tempted a little. However, I would consider this query solely for my friend.

Things he wants to know:

1. Is the price alright?
2. What about the resale value after a year or two?
3. He wants to sell his Esteem off and buy this - do you think it is a bad move? (He currently has a OHC 1.5 (non-VTEC), Corolla, Esteem and a few other cars in his garage.)
Old 4th December 2007, 00:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

2.0 Petrol's are quite rare so beware of spares & all that. It might be hard to source parts for this engine. Maybe you should check about the availability with your local dealer first.
Old 4th December 2007, 00:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

Surely it is not the RS ??
Old 4th December 2007, 00:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
2.0 Petrol's are quite rare so beware of spares & all that. It might be hard to source parts for this engine. Maybe you should check about the availability with your local dealer first.
Thanks iraghava, I understand what you're trying to say. I'd heard about the exorbitant spare prices of Skoda so I've warned him. Since he'll be using the car mostly in Bangalore, how difficult would it be? Any idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Surely it is not the RS ??
No, definitely not. lol. It is the 2.0L.
Old 4th December 2007, 00:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
Thanks iraghava, I understand what you're trying to say. I'd heard about the exorbitant spare prices of Skoda so I've warned him.

It is just that exorbitant prices of the skoda spares that gives it a very low resale value when a OHC Vtec 2002 would cost the same or even more (in Bangalore).
Old 4th December 2007, 00:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is just that exorbitant prices of the skoda spares that gives it a very low resale value when a OHC Vtec 2002 would cost the same or even more (in Bangalore).
That is an interesting way of looking at it. I was reading on another thread about how insanely Skoda spares are priced in comparison to other cars (the same segment ones). Now my temptation is reducing gradually.

Apart from spares and spare prices, what else should he know? (Questions mentioned in the first post)

Last edited by rocksterraghu : 4th December 2007 at 00:40.
Old 4th December 2007, 00:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks iraghava, I understand what you're trying to say. I'd heard about the exorbitant spare prices of Skoda so I've warned him. Since he'll be using the car mostly in Bangalore, how difficult would it be? Any idea?
No idea specifically Raghu but it's wiser to call up the Skoda dealer tomorrow & check about availability of regular parts that you would need to replace. 2.0's never really sold well so most dealers would not stock up on their parts.

Quote:
Probably, but I think it's got more to do with the fact that Petrol Skoda's were always out shined by their diesel counterparts & were never desired much by the common man. Hence, low initial demand equals to low resale value.
Old 4th December 2007, 07:42   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Apart from spares and spare prices, what else should he know? (Questions mentioned in the first post)
There are rumours of a major facelift coming soon.
Old 4th December 2007, 11:11   #9
Senior - BHPian

no buddy,i dont think you have to take such a risk when other vehicles are available in the market.you can get a swift diesel or petrol for the same amount.baleno for almost 3/4 th the amount.think of it and decide.
Old 4th December 2007, 11:55   #10
BHPian

You should consider two things :1) the timing belt change comes at around 60K kms in the petrol engine. Has the previous owner done it? It costs quite a bit. 2) the 2.0 engine was not very good on mileage.
Old 4th December 2007, 12:30   #11
BHPian

I think it's a good price - I was checking out 2002 TDI Diesel Ambiente, 70000 in Bangalore - Owner was unwilling to come below 7 lakhs!!!
Old 4th December 2007, 12:59   #12
BHPian

At 70,000 km, look at total suspension overhaul, change all belts, a/c overhaul. Factor in this total so you know how to haggle. Snob value in Skoda is undeniably there, so it may be worth it if you get it for 4, less the repair costs.
Old 4th December 2007, 13:02   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

2.0 petrols were a disaster and go for less than 5 lakhs in most markets.
Old 4th December 2007, 13:56   #14
Team-BHP Support

I looked a nice 2005 rider turbo - beige, 40000 km. alloys and leather. Good condition but needs new tyres and some tidying on the front. Owner asked 7.75, I offered 7, he was coming down to 7.5.

He readvertised at 7.5 but no one came. Rang me on sun night. His delay cost him, I was returning home in my new nearly new car.

PM me for his phone no - he is desperate. It is a good car and the old man also has seen it
Old 4th December 2007, 21:36   #15
BHPian

At this price plus minus 50 K you will get a accord old shape why even bother for a discontinued model which never sold at the first place if you want a petrol skoda than it has to be Rider or with more money RS

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks