Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2007, 13:00   #1
BHPian

Am I crazy?

Hi,

A little back-ground first - I own a 2.5 years old Getz GLS, which has done 50000 Kms and now require new tyres, battery and suspension work. Also this is registered in my own name and therefore I don't get any tax benefits on this. This car was bought on loan from ICICI, monthly EMI is 6,773/-, the loan will complete in June 2008 and the remaining principal amount is 1,80,000/-

Incidentally my daily driving is 56 KMs, and on an average 2000 KM per month.

About a year back, my company gave me an option to buy a car in my wife's name, which the company will take on lease from her and give it to me. Thus the amount company will pay to her will be effectively tax-free. Or 6,773 after taxes will equate to 9675 before taxes.

So I decided to buy a new car instead of investing money in my Getz. I started with Toyota Corolla executive, but found it too bare. Then all of a sudden Safari caught my frenzy and I made up my mind to buy it, but turned out wifey is dead against SUVs, so there goes Safari.

Then we thought of Corolla, Civic or Octavia. All three cars are in 11-11.5 range, and that would have stretched our budget so decided against these as well.

NHC was never an option because none of us like it.

Ford Fiesta - Overpriced. 8.95 lakh for a 68 BHP car, with no alloys/air-bags

Verna - Don't want to buy a Hyundai car again. (My 2.5 year old Getz GLS, which I bought for about 5 lakhs, and which is in excellent condition, isn't able to get more than 2.5 lakhs in re-sale)

So at last we decided to go for SX4 ZXi. Went to showroom, test-drove it and test-drove the Swift VDi as well. Liked SX4; and loved Swift VDi. I searched Team-BHP and found people's experience with VDi to be great. And definitely there is the diesel advantage.

I made a quick calculation and found out that for a monthly running of 2000 KMs, fuel costs for Swift will be Rs. 3,677/- (mileage - 17) and for SX4 it will be Rs. 6,747/- (mileage - 13).

So roughly I will save more than 3K in fuel costs and about the same amount in EMIs.

But buying a Swift after a Getz will but really be a upgrade. So I am really in a dilemma. I have explored almost all mid-size cars and am not any nearer to a decision that I ever was.

Any suggestions guys?

\N
Old 13th December 2007, 13:06   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

How abt the Optra Magnum?
Old 13th December 2007, 13:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
and Cedia.

Fusion would cost only 7lac OTR right?
Old 13th December 2007, 13:12   #4
BHPian

Had many bad experiences with GM. And there is the re-sale value factor. I am burnt once with Getz and now will be twice shy with my next purchase.

\N
Old 13th December 2007, 13:12   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Spot on. Mileage, power, looks you have it all.
Old 13th December 2007, 13:16   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
and Cedia.

Fusion would cost only 7lac OTR right?
Great cars, but their manufacturers don't inspire much confidence. And their re-sale values :-(

\N
Old 13th December 2007, 13:21   #7
Team-BHP Support

Are you ditching the verna just because of resale value. If so rethink. Resale value of Getz is low because swift flopped it. Verna is no hot seller, but sells decent numbers. Its a diesel, and in midsize segment resale value for verna diesel will hold as well as the competitors.
Other than that the only diesel option is the magnum, but then you will pay more in EMI.
Old 13th December 2007, 13:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

After a Getz the swift actually seems to be a down grade to me. Sorry. But to me Its just a fabulous engine at a high price. Instead of that i would tell you to sell off the present getz and get the Getz Diesel. That would be a real upgrade in terms of performance.

I would suggest you take a look at the following cars.
1. Ford Fusion Diesel (In case you really want a diesel other wise the Petrol is real VFM.)
2. Maruti Suzuki SX4 (SInce you already like it i think you should give it some more thought. Its another VFM car but might have some fit and finish issues and plastic quality issues.

If you are really concerned of re-sale stick to the Maruti Products.

But if i were you i'll go for the safari VVT since i already have a Getz to do the city jobs.
Old 13th December 2007, 13:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest you take a look at the Logan 1.5 dls its the top model in the diesel range of the logan come with airbag also

and the space inside is good to
i recently got one and we are totally loving it
it costed around 6.50 lacs
Old 13th December 2007, 13:49   #10
BHPian

Ur post made me think

I wondered if you really needed a new car? I concluded you didn't
Then i realised its not really a 'WHAT CAR' question..its more of a investment one

SO here is seemingly bright idea:

Sell your Getz to your Wife for x amount of money.
Using the office money (ur company is willing to pay) buy it back from her for the same or more amount. That ways you would end up WITH the money your company is offering and a car you already are familiar with.

Infact it could allow you to use your Getz for some more years and then upgrade (technically with the money ur company gives you) when you might actually NEED one and have a better choice.

Now before all and sundry flame me for this please let me confess this just a theoretical idea and i am no expert in laws and finance!!!

Now i betta Hide!!

Elito

P.S. - No your not crazy. Its just a funny problem!

Last edited by Elito11 : 13th December 2007 at 13:53.
Old 13th December 2007, 13:51   #11
BHPian

I would suggest Swift vdi with abs or Optra Magnum.Both are fuel efficient and fun to drive.
Old 13th December 2007, 14:07   #12
Senior - BHPian

If you want a diesel then get a Swift.

It wont give 17 but around 16, SX4 will give you around 11.
Old 13th December 2007, 14:19   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Are you ditching the verna just because of resale value. If so rethink. Resale value of Getz is low because swift flopped it. Verna is no hot seller, but sells decent numbers. Its a diesel, and in midsize segment resale value for verna diesel will hold as well as the competitors.
Other than that the only diesel option is the magnum, but then you will pay more in EMI.
Re-sale value is the major factor. I was talking to First Choice (previously Automart) guys, and according to them, all Hyndai Cars' (except Santro and Accent CRDi) re-sale value is very poor. Also the interiors and euipment levels are not as good as it should be in this price range.

\N
Old 13th December 2007, 14:24   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Re-sale value is the major factor. I was talking to First Choice (previously Automart) guys, and according to them, all Hyndai Cars' (except Santro and Accent CRDi) re-sale value is very poor. Also the interiors and euipment levels are not as good as it should be in this price range.

\N
From what I know Verna crdi has good resale, and Getz resale is very poor. Some time back I thought of getting a low mileage used verna, but prices were very high, did not make sense to buy used. I was buying from Punjab, and there Verna commands a good premium.
Optra magnum will have worse resale than the verna definitely, and the verna sells more. But then the magnum is a bigger car and more upmarket.
As for the upgrade, the SX4 seems the be the best bet if you are okay with petrol.
Old 13th December 2007, 14:24   #15
Senior - BHPian

Gor for Logan if you want Diesel. But Nowadays we read in newspapaers taht Delhi govt. are planning to stop selling all the diesel vehicles. In this case, you are left only with SX4. Go for it.

Most Viewed