Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2007, 13:37   #16
Team-BHP Support

@ Sujay (Crazy_Driver): The thread starter is based in Delhi, and service there should be what we're looking at, not Tvm.

Between, i was replying to the statement about spares not being available for the Ford.
Old 19th December 2007, 13:47   #17
Team-BHP Support

A little bird tells me (little birds everywhere these days) that the Accent may be taken off earlier than the ikon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
@ Sujay (Crazy_Driver): The thread starter is based in Delhi, and service there should be what we're looking at, not Tvm.
Between, i was replying to the statement about spares not being available for the Ford.
Ram is from trivandrum. So, technically...
ok ok... My mistake!
Old 19th December 2007, 13:51   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Looking for a family car? Accent would be better.
I'm sorry I do not agree. IMO, Accent back seat is the worst among mid-sizers. So how would this be a good family car?

It is a pity Accent was getting sold at 6+ lakhs till some time back. IMO, Accent 1.5 doesn't excell in any area.
Old 19th December 2007, 13:55   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
I'm sorry I do not agree. IMO, Accent back seat is the worst among mid-sizers. So how would this be a good family car?
I don't own the car, but i have done TVM- bangalore trips in it. Didn't find the backseat to be so bad.
Old 19th December 2007, 14:10   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
That is not true. My usage of over 30K kms included over half dozen Bangalore-Trivandrum-Bangalore trips (close to 800 kms one way & covered in 13-14 hrs) and multiple trips to Masinagudi, Yercaud etc. I have never had the back seat passengers complaining about a bad ride.
Old 19th December 2007, 14:14   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I don't own the car, but i have done TVM- bangalore trips in it. Didn't find the backseat to be so bad.
well i dont know about the accent too much but i have covered almost 1200 km same day in my ford ikon and i have nothing but praises for it , be it handling or driving comfort. Again , the 1.3 is not meant for racing but its more than enough for city and highways in india.

Plus we just got a second ikon in november this year, wouldnt have done that if i didnt have complete faith in the vehicle ...
Old 19th December 2007, 14:19   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabjarus View Post
I have never had the back seat passengers complaining about a bad ride.
With respect to the Accent, it has a soft ride, and so ride quality would be possibly better than the Ikon. IMO, based on my experience the Accent has a much lower rear seat than that of the Ikon, and so over a long journey slightly taller people would find their legs not feeling comfortable.
Old 19th December 2007, 14:29   #23
BHPian

I feel that Ikon will not be discontinued in near future as Ford does not have a replacement for it in 5 L sedan segment.In past 1.5 yrs(after releasing Fiesta), they have made major enhancements in interiors, music system etc,. Since it being manufactured in Chennai plant, there will not be any problem with spares and maintenance.
Old 19th December 2007, 14:31   #24
BHPian

Between Flair and Accent, my vote goes for Accent 1.5 (BTW have a 1.6L) since

1. Ride quality is better though IKON is the 'drivers' car' (more so with the 1.6L. Not sure how quick a 1.3L Ford is with A/c ON)
2. Resale value is better as compared to Ford Flair (look up carwale.com or for that matter any other site)
3. Better service network of Hyundai
4. Better NVH levels as compared to IKON
5. Take test drives of both and you'll feel the difference. Accent definitely feels bigger

Get the door handles, ORVMs and rear number plate garnish painted with body colour and it definitely looks better. I really hate the cost cutting that is visible in IKON (Both internal and external).

But if I have 5.5L to be spent on a car now, I would buy an Indigo diesel!
Old 19th December 2007, 14:31   #25
BHPian

CrAzY dRiVeR and alabjarus, Holy!! what names you folks have. I hope I managed to type them correctly.

My observation is based on long drives (same route as yours) I made in Esteem, Ikon flair, and Accent 1.5

Among the three I dislike Accent back seat the most.
Among the three I dislike Accent driver's seat too.
Old 19th December 2007, 18:06   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
Between Flair and Accent, my vote goes for Accent 1.5 (BTW have a 1.6L) since

Get the door handles, ORVMs and rear number plate garnish painted with body colour and it definitely looks better. I really hate the cost cutting that is visible in IKON (Both internal and external).
The new Ikon has been revamped, and looks a lot better in the interior now. The Accent is also a nice car, and I have travelled in my friend's car for long distances (over 500kms) twice.. It has a great suspension---takes speed breakers easily, but the rear seat has less leg room. However I am not sure of an Ikon, as I never travelled in its rear seat. Looks wise, I like the Ikon.
Old 19th December 2007, 18:55   #27
BHPian

@vnabhi
Very true of what you said about the Accent's back seat. It is too low, and it has very little leg room.

@WhiteKnight
I am very comfortable with the drivers seat in Accent 1.6 (which is height adjustable). The visibility is good.
Surprising that you found Esteem's driver seat better than that of Accent.

Not sure if you can compare Accent and Esteem (have both in our family, so I am not biased here). I find the esteem too highly priced. Agree that it has a fantastic engine. However, you don't find quality on anything else. The electricals and build quality are a big let down.

To be frank, the original Zen feels sturdier than the Esteem (ever wondered why a 7 yr old Zen fetches you more than a 7 year old Esteem in the used cars market?)
Old 19th December 2007, 19:42   #28
Senior - BHPian

Ikon 1.3 IKool is quite VFM. I would choose the Accent though, since its a Hyundai you can expect better service.
Old 19th December 2007, 21:05   #29
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Accent has better space, maintenance cost and A.S.S than Ikon.

Rear seat comfort in Accent is not good. The seat is low and I found the under thigh support bad. The build quality of Ikon is better than Accent.

My vote is for Accent if you intend to drive it.
Old 19th December 2007, 21:21   #30
Senior - BHPian

If the competition is Accent 1.5. Ikon 1.3 would be a better bet. Its got decent FE, its wonderful to drive, infact ROCAM version of 1.3 never got out from the bad image the pushrod 1.3 created, but is not very far from the 1.6 in terms of responses. Add to that the wonderful handling which is incomparable to any car in the segment.

Looks wise, its pure agression and the Facelifted Mark V Fiesta it is based on are still regarded as wonderful lookers even by the people in its country of origin. Moreover you also get that fabulous Jeans Blue colour.

I think they have a music edition going with a Sony MP3 player as well. The Beige interiors look a class apart.

After Sales Support might not be great, but its not that bad (they honor warranty without trouble, they are accessible, prompt, only the quality of the work/parts are questionable at times), but then the positives of the car far outweigh this negative aspect. Remember you are primarily buying the car, not just the support.

Support is also very important but secondary to the car itself.

The sound of a stock ROCAM engine is pure Music.

Last edited by 1100D : 19th December 2007 at 21:25.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks