Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2007, 18:32   #1

Ford Ikon 1.3 Vs Hyundai Accent 1.5

I need to decide between the Ford Ikon 1.3 and Hyundai Accent 1.5 GLE. Both the cars are available on the december dhamaka and are about 5.5 lacs (On road Delhi price). I have been bombarded with about 100 calls from both companies, each giving me a view on how their product is better than the other.

My budget is about 5.5 lacs and I am also aware that both these models may be discontinued soon. But money is a constraint and have to live with it.

Need help to close my decision.
Old 19th December 2007, 09:54   #2
Team-BHP Support

Hi Sidharth,
While both the cars have their respective strengths, the following thread should enlighten you more about the Ikon Flair.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...12000-kms.html

Hope that helps.
Old 19th December 2007, 10:04   #3
Senior - BHPian

I would say go for the ikon 1.3 flair

i like the car more and we had one for 6 months the car is of good quality and feels very safe plus the rear seat is very comfortable

our ikon was hit my a motorcycle from the rear and only a small scratch came and no paint was damaged

i would say go for the ikon
Old 19th December 2007, 10:11   #4
BHPian

The accent is an excellent city car, The space available is comparitively better. The service from Hyundai is better too.
Old 19th December 2007, 10:15   #5
Senior - BHPian

I suggest the Logan(1.4 GLE) if your need is urgent. Or else, if you can wait, please wait for Swift Sedan. Both of these are much newer cars. You might also consider the Indigo(DiCOR LS). Ikon and Accent may be at the end of their life cycle. Although there is no news of either being phased out anytime soon.
Old 19th December 2007, 10:24   #6

Its better to go for Ikon, it still looks better than accent and is much better performer than accent. Both cars ahve a bad re-sale value so don't consider that.
Old 19th December 2007, 10:29   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Neither of them are road-burners, and both are sufficiently competent as entry level sedans. I'd go for the Ikon as its better to drive (even with the 1.3 ROCAM) and has a fantastic back seat.
Old 19th December 2007, 10:34   #8
BHPian

Ford Ikon has failed miserably in crash test and may not be the better design product per say. I think Ford did goob with thier Fiesta and to me its first good sedan product launched by Ford for India.

Since the there is no significant difference in the price of 1.3 Flair and 1.5GLE, my vote goes for Hyundai Accent.

But yes, both are on verge of being discontinued in near future.
(Don't you like Logan ? or some premium hatch like Swift/Getz ?)

cheers
Anju
Old 19th December 2007, 10:47   #9
Senior - BHPian

Once these cars are discontinued, sure we get support for them from manu... But I have a feeling like they may cost more since they can claim that this model is not available and so need to wait, he needs to source etc etc to support the price hike of spares.
Comments?
Old 19th December 2007, 10:59   #10
BHPian

Sidharth, you are unlikely to get a definitive answer. However, you can consider the inputs from this forum to arrive at your decision.

I have used an Accent for almost 3 yrs and clocked approx 33,000 kms. I must say that the ownership experience was wonderful and the only reason that I did not continue with Hyundai was they lacked good upgrade options.

Beyond the regular maintenance, I shelled out nothing towards maintenance. There was no premature wear of components and the quality of components was excellent. Infact, its far beyond the credit the world gives for Hyundai cars.

Mileage was in the range of 10kmps/lit (I had a 1.6L car, mileage for 1.5L may be slightly better).

I am no high speed enthusiast; hence the handling and road manners were to my expectation. I have heard that this is one aspect that Accent loses out to Ikon.

Engine is a little on the rough side at high speeds, which is unlike a Honda or a Toyota. I dont think Ikon is much better.

I have heard that re-sale value of Accent is better than Ikon.
Old 19th December 2007, 11:06   #11
BHPian

IS the Esteem VXi still available with dealers. If yes, that's the best choice and more or less same price tag.
Old 19th December 2007, 11:58   #12
Senior - BHPian

i second anju's view.why are you going for products which are going to be discontinued.if at all you have to have boot why not esteem.much cheaper than both and comparable to both cars regarding size .ford is costly on maintenence and spares will be an issue when discontinued.safer bet would be to go for a car which would be in production.swift,getz,etc would be a good option.ease of driving parking etc add to the advatages.

ram
Old 19th December 2007, 12:04   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
ford is costly on maintenence and spares will be an issue when discontinued.
Pray tell me, why would that be applicable to only the Ford? Wont the Accent also be under the same set of conditions?

@Sidharth Raman : Since both these models have sold in good numbers, backing in terms of support and maintenance would be available, even if they were to be discontinued.
Old 19th December 2007, 12:06   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

I really like Hyundai cars for the value of money that you get from the product itself to the a.s.s

I would certainly vote for a Hyundai Accent!
Old 19th December 2007, 13:27   #15
Team-BHP Support

If you love to drive- Ikon 1.3, no doubt!

Looking for a family car? Accent would be better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Pray tell me, why would that be applicable to only the Ford? Wont the Accent also be under the same set of conditions?
I think its more to do with Ford service in Trivandrum. Havent heard much praises about them. However Hyundai service here is pretty decent. So, depends on the area also.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks