Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2005, 00:56   #1

esteem query . . .

hey guys...

i just needed some expert advice from you guys.

i am about to get my frist car. its gonna be a second hand. Budget is about 1.25. Was looking at Zen (Carb). But someone we know wants to sell his ' esteem. 95(end)/96 regd. its condition is alright. done about 75k kms. the engine seems peppy enough. the cars also got alloys.
but my main concern is the mileage i would get out of the car.
the current owner says it about 8/9 with aircon in city.
if the engine tune state is not correct, and i get the engine fully serviced and mantained, is there a chance i can get any better out of the car.

What avg at best could be expected?

Coz this car is little less expensive and allows me to work on the car (paint job, stereo with amp etc..), on the other hand if i go for a zen i would have to use it stock.

what do you guys think? i need to the kinda ave to expect from this car. Possible to squeeze out about 11 with good maintenance and careful driving? Or go for the carb zen which should give 13...
Old 2nd January 2005, 08:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

I've heard of carefully maintained Esteems giving 10.5 to 11.....but the car youre contemplating has done some really high mileage, so don't expect the very best from it.
I say go for the Esteem and give a thorough servicing with the remaining budget. It really will pay off in the long term.
Old 2nd January 2005, 14:46   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

same here go for the esteem
got a carb zen out here but that too gives a sub 10 average ....
the esteem will be a better buy and will be a better overall car too ..
Old 2nd January 2005, 16:10   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Get an Esteem. What you lose out in that 1 - 2 kpl of mileage, you will certainly make up in other benefits.

I have a 1996 Esteem with about 130,000 kms on the clock. No problems at all. Very smooth and if you really want to know...9 kpl in the city.

GTO
Old 2nd January 2005, 16:37   #5
Senior - BHPian

my sis's goldie has done abt 70 k kms,gives 7 in the city with aircon and 5 girls in the car everytime
Old 2nd January 2005, 21:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

Go for the Esteem.Its anyday a better car than the Zen.U do lose out on a lil of FE,but u gain a lot too.And not to forget the additional boot firstly.

X
Old 2nd January 2005, 22:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

hi,
y do u wanna go for car having done 75k kms.
any maruti car is a good buy.if u cud slightly extend ur budget maybe u can get a better Zen/esteem MPFI @2-2.25 lacs.
a carb zen(50bhp) shud give u 11-13kpl in city with AC while a carb esteem(65bhp) will give u 9-10kpl in city.
i suggest u save some more money and buy a newer car with less mileage on it as even though u may get 75k at 1.25 lacs,but u might have to spend more on its maintainence as compared to a car with lesser mileage.
so avoid such high mileage cars.
Old 3rd January 2005, 00:30   #8
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Hey Rohan,

If you want to buy an Esteem there's one that my friend has..97model..done a genuine 30k kms & I'm not kidding nor has it been clocked. PM me if you want more details.
Old 3rd January 2005, 13:04   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

hey rj ...
whats the price ..
my bro got 1.6 for his 98 zen (hes not sold it yet .. later after april 2005) done some 28 kkm genuinely ...
he rarely used it .. was always travelling abroad even when he is in town he uses it but not for long drives

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks