Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2008, 16:43   #16
Team-BHP Support

If i were in such a predicament, i would go for the Safari 2.2. It would serve as a good holidaying vehicle, and as for driving it to office, who cares?!

With the kind of roads which our vehicles need to trudge on these days, with the Safari you can make your own roads.
Old 3rd January 2008, 17:52   #17
Senior - BHPian

My choice would be Civic / Skoda that would suit your reqirement perfectly.
Old 3rd January 2008, 17:57   #18

Hi,

IMHO the Civic will be more sophisticated but the low GC would stay in back of your mind for the next 4 years. Assuming the roads are not going to improve dramatically - every time you go over a bump - you'll feel the pain in your heart.

Safari 2.2.VVT will be more basic (beast as they call it) but every time your engine oil or break oil leaks or you stretch for the first gear (you may go thru' the threads here of 2.2VVT - they are all there) you will sigh for a Civic.
Which pain can you live with between the two - go for that.
Old 3rd January 2008, 18:08   #19
Senior - BHPian

MG1558,

If you are going to be in back seat most of the time, I am not sure if Civic is the right car for you even thought it looks great, has fantastic engine and great interiors. There was a thread where the owner mentioned that there is too much being made out of Civic scrapping its bottom on bad roads etc. I think you should test drive Civic on the bad roads that you are going to drive everyday (with you in back seat) to see how it feels.

Even though Corolla is long in the tooth, it has a very good back seat and great to be driven in. Test drive that as well (again with you in back seat) to compare with Civic.

Now regarding Safari, it has a great image (at least I think so) and that is the reason I am personally considering buying it. However, you must go through all the Safari ownership threads on t-bhp and understand that your ownership experience won't be as trouble free as that of Corolla and Civic. There would be occasional niggles and that can be very irritating. If you can live with those, my vote goes to Safari.
Old 3rd January 2008, 20:38   #20
Senior - BHPian

Instincts are good

I think your Safari instincts serve you well. It is a little big, it is not easy to navigate in tight places but on the highway and on bad roads you will be happy you have it. With Safari four wheel drive is an option you can afford. This will demonstrate your incredibility virility and sense of adventure to your co-workers. But be careful, this sort of purchase can lead to the wearing of jeans, hiking boots and then you will start taking jeep treks. Your co-workers will shy away from you and consider you a deviant.
Old 3rd January 2008, 21:21   #21
Senior - BHPian

there will be niggles with the safari.

infact i take mine to the workshop nearly every month.but the true fact is that the sheer presence it commands makes up for everything.its like this.

"you're on a road traveling at approx 120 and suddenly a patch of broken road arrives.you don't have to hastily brake like other cars.you can just glide over it.no bumps felt.simple."

another thing

"you're on a road travelling at 120+ a car is in front.you honk.he sees a safari.he moves out of the way.period."

thats the presence this vehicle commands.i know its down right bullish but the fact is that each and every human wants to be bullish sometimes.if not all the time.

even if asked which car would i buy.in this price bracket it'll be the safari.there simply is nothing better than this in this segment.

but thats just my opnion.
Old 3rd January 2008, 21:47   #22
Senior - BHPian

I suggest Petrol Safari Exi or Petrol Innova V spec for you since both give you best comfort and best performance in that budget for Indian roads.

You will simply enjoy trust worthiness of Toyota ( vehicles have double life than TATA products ) and its ideal for family long trip. by the time you sell your car in 4 years trust me you get good resale value for Petrol Innova.

Safari is most comfortable vehicle for indian road and its great cruiser and has best back seat.

Both vehicles give at least 9kmpl as FE in mixed highway/hill driving.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 3rd January 2008, 21:50   #23
BHPian

Well for me, the most comfortable car among the lot is the corolla. Real easy to drive with comfort to add. The ground clearance should also be sufficient. Just give it a TD before you decide.
Old 3rd January 2008, 23:51   #24
BHPian

how about the new Scopio, about to be launched. Nice features and really good to drive and the presence. Just a thought as the new hawk is looking like an attractive SUV. Its got cruise control, parking help, ABS and a practical hood scoop and power was never an issue in it.
Old 4th January 2008, 00:53   #25
Senior - BHPian

The Magnum is quite FTD, infact the torque of that car is addictive, drive it and you will see why people love the Magnum so much.

I would too choose the Civic over the Safari, it looks the part and is a fantastic car, drives well and its a Honda!
Old 4th January 2008, 01:12   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_raiser View Post
how about the new Scopio, about to be launched. Nice features and really good to drive and the presence. Just a thought as the new hawk is looking like an attractive SUV. Its got cruise control, parking help, ABS and a practical hood scoop and power was never an issue in it.
He mentioned chauffeur driven, scorpio back seat is not exactly a good place to be, esp on broken roads
Old 4th January 2008, 03:16   #27
BHPian

I think Civic would be best for office use, its understated and refined. Remember 5 days a week you will be using this for office and maybe once in a quarter you will be heading to the hills where the Safari would be handy.

I suggest you get the Civic and when budget allows to add get a Vitara at 15 lakhs. That would be something your office mates will really get worked up about plus its good for daily trips and the occasional hilly outing or the other way round.
Old 4th January 2008, 09:42   #28
Senior - BHPian

If maintenance is not a problem for you being company's issue, You can have a look at Laura... Fantastic looks (Subjective)...
Old 4th January 2008, 10:12   #29
Senior - BHPian

Need a car for Status then go for Laura.If you don't have problem in FE and need to enjoy driving go for Civic.Wonderful car to drive with vast technology and you can definitely enjoy the new ride.
Old 4th January 2008, 10:56   #30
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1558 View Post
Hi GTO,

Thanks. What is your logic for chosing Civic with low GC over Safari2.2 with free maintenance?
Well, my comment on the free maintainence meant that, just because you dont have to worry about maintainence doesnt mean you go in for a car that will expectedly have niggling problems.

Low GC? Dont worry about it. Every car has its flaws, and this is really not that major of an issue. All it needs is a little more caution over bad roads. But what the Civic really offers is a fantastic overall package.

As mentioned before, do also test-drive the Optra (top variant) and the entry-level Laura. It may just fit in your budget.

Most Viewed