Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2008, 11:32   #31
Senior - BHPian

what i would sugest is optra magnum,laura,cedia,civic.take test drives of the 4 cars and then decide according to your personal preference.safari looks dated inspite of the grill and heart change.
ram
Old 4th January 2008, 12:50   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Well, my comment on the free maintainence meant that, just because you dont have to worry about maintainence doesnt mean you go in for a car that will expectedly have niggling problems.

Low GC? Dont worry about it. Every car has its flaws, and this is really not that major of an issue. All it needs is a little more caution over bad roads. But what the Civic really offers is a fantastic overall package.

As mentioned before, do also test-drive the Optra (top variant) and the entry-level Laura. It may just fit in your budget.
GTO, what I may like to add is:- I see no problem in adding a 25mm spacer over the struts, this will give a raise of about 18/20mm[ the rest of 5 mm compensating for the compression in the springs], and will also make the suspension a little stiffer to take indian roads. ride quality may go down very slightly, but will still remain much better than suv's. Handling will not be an issue since very seldom does one really use a car to its limits in corning and in speeds!, and will still remain much better than most cars.
I have been doing this on many of my cars for the last 25 years without any significant difference in ride and handling.
People may note that all cars specially europian lineage, here in India have raised and stiffer suspensions already, why Honda has not done it is a question mark.
Old 4th January 2008, 13:27   #33
Team-BHP Support

Ride quality of SuV(safari) is much better than sedans. Its the handling front in which the sedans shine
Old 4th January 2008, 13:28   #34
Senior - BHPian

Why not look at the Grand Vitara? SInce FE is not a issue, its a fantastic car, test drive it and you will see for yourself.
Old 4th January 2008, 13:42   #35
BHPian

@BUSA - my budget is 13 lac - Grand Vitara at that price? I was under the impression that it starts @15.

Any information on that??
Old 5th January 2008, 00:27   #36
Senior - BHPian

well if you are a off road driver at heart then why not consider scorpio GETAWAY! its in your budget and a good off roader/camper!
Old 5th January 2008, 12:05   #37
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
GTO, what I may like to add is:- I see no problem in adding a 25mm spacer over the struts, this will give a raise of about 18/20mm[ the rest of 5 mm compensating for the compression in the springs], and will also make the suspension a little stiffer to take indian roads. ride quality may go down very slightly, but will still remain much better than suv's. Handling will not be an issue since very seldom does one really use a car to its limits in corning and in speeds!, and will still remain much better than most cars.
Scooby, the Civic ownership reviews seem to suggest that the rear suspension is a tad too soft. That may be the reason why it scrapes the underbelly when fully loaded. Rather than height, I'd think a stiffer damper would be the solution.
Old 5th January 2008, 14:12   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1558 View Post
I would not buy a Skoda...so Laura was not in consideration
Any particular reason for this? Just curious, cause Skoda builds some really quality cars. We had an Octy for over 4 years, and it was a wonderful experience.

Personally, I would opt for the Laura Ambiente. Terrific car. Lots of goodies, great build, good engine, ride is brilliant and overall comfort is very good - both for driver and passenger.
Why don't you take a TD of the Laura and judge for yourself?
Old 5th January 2008, 14:19   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Scooby, the Civic ownership reviews seem to suggest that the rear suspension is a tad too soft. That may be the reason why it scrapes the underbelly when fully loaded. Rather than height, I'd think a stiffer damper would be the solution.
I faced similar soft suspension problems with my Jag, and that is where the spacer lifted, as well as stiffened the springs to just the right level. so both the bouncy and scraping problems were solved.
maybe someone should try with only rear spacers in the Civic first, and see the effect. they can always be removed if not satisfied. Civic otherwise is a very good car in terms of technology and dependability!!
Old 5th January 2008, 15:09   #40
BHPian

Instead of Safari(which has really basic features),go for the Suzuki Grand Vitara. Its amazing in terms of features, road presence and luxury.
Safari is plain basic.
Old 5th January 2008, 15:20   #41
Senior - BHPian

IMHO the latest lancer would have been a good option

guys do you know when we can expect it in india?

but since its not here i too would limit my choice between laura ambiente and the civic

if you can stretch your budget to 2 lacs more you can go for the grand vitara which can satisfy all your requiements

Last edited by AMATMO : 5th January 2008 at 15:23.
Old 5th January 2008, 17:50   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
guys do you know when we can expect it in india?
As per HM, it should be here this year.

Quote:
@BUSA - my budget is 13 lac - Grand Vitara at that price? I was under the impression that it starts @15.
GV comes to around 14.5L OTR, check with the dealer, you can get good discounts as well.
Old 5th January 2008, 22:35   #43
BHPian

Hi guys,

Some updates:

Checked with Maruti dealer (Bimal Auto) Grand Vitara is not within budget. Otherwise it looked the perfect one.

Took TD in Civic and Safari. They were different as chalk and cheese.
First he Civic MT 1.8S: The car odo read 25k+, there were 3 family members in the back seat and the dealer's guy on side. The dash was really impressive - (more like sitting on a fighter jet), so was the conveniently placed controls and the hand break. Started form home and took it over the 4 speed breakers which I cross everyday. No problem in first 3 - took it at a little higher speed in the 4th one (15kmph) and it went screeetch. Went to inner ring road - took it upto 110 - smooooth. Made a sudden break - the ABS works perfect. Loved the drive. The back seat experience was nothing great and the clutch felt heavy (the Whitefield guy told its the problem in that particular car - would like to get input from Civic owners) and getting in and out of the car was a little not-so-smooth - may be due to low sitting position. Went screetch on the Jiban Bhima nagar road bumper also @ 10kph - one need to be slower than that.

Next was the Safari base model- I have never driven a SUV before - it was a new experience. Sitting arrangement was same. After Civic - it looked a very simple dash. The speed breaker - well... did not really realise when we crossed them. Took same route - once we hit Ring rd - it was fun to take it to 100+. Breaked while turning - ABS worked. Was expecting more body roll - but did not feel much. One thing I felt was even while idleing the steering and the gear knob vibrates - I mean the overall noise and vibration levels were much higher. Is it normal in any SUV?

The honda guy promised another ride on Monday from home to office and the Safari (Prerna Motors) guy promised to bring another vehicle tomorrow- higher version.

The Honda guy kept blaming the unscientific speed breakers and sorry state of the roads - which I was pissed off with.

I intend to use the car for driving on existing roads of this country and specifically in and around this city - that's the primary purpose of existence of any car.

Tomorrow morning going for TD of Optra Magnum and Corolla. Will keep all posted.
Old 5th January 2008, 23:40   #44
BHPian

Go for the Corolla...

Driving a vehicle with low GC is really difficult on Bangalore's roads. I recently experimented lowering springs on my Corolla, it was a horrible experience, my car scapped almost every hump that I went over with two adults at rear. I went back to my original springs in just few days time. I can't imagine how people can drive for years with a fear of scrapping humps.

One might soon develop a 'humpomania' syndrome

A note for Non-Bangaloreans: Bangalore's roads have lot of unscientific huge humps and they are there everywhere on every road. I have never seen such big humps in any other Indian city/town.
Old 6th January 2008, 00:36   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin_seattle View Post
Instead of Safari(which has really basic features),go for the Suzuki Grand Vitara. Its amazing in terms of features, road presence and luxury.
Safari is plain basic.
Would you care to elaborate on that ? What luxury features are present in GV which aren't in Safari. As as aside Safari has oodles of road presence, much more than GV IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1558
Was expecting more body roll - but did not feel much. One thing I felt was even while idleing the steering and the gear knob vibrates - I mean the overall noise and vibration levels were much higher. Is it normal in any SUV?
Diesel engines are noisier and have higher vibrations. Vibrations can be felt even in Innova diesel which is way more refined than Safari.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks