Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2008, 00:39   #1
BHPian

A Verna Dilemma!

My Uncle's out to buy a Verna. He is pretty keen on the petrol version. Would it be a good idea to go for it? Mileage and resale is not a issue for him.
Old 4th January 2008, 00:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

If mileage and resale is not a issue then your Uncle can go for the Verna XXi, its a good car with climate control, ABS, Music System, Alloys, etc so its kind of VFM as well. A better choice then the usual SX4, City.
Old 4th January 2008, 00:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

for its price the petrol is a good deal, and is pretty feature loaded. But be sure that the high speed stability issues remain and have are yet to be completely sorted out. And there would be very nice deals as the dealers would be scrambling to meet their targets.
Old 4th January 2008, 09:48   #4
BHPian

If he is keen on Verna Petrol , it is good idea !! as he is keen on buying it.

In petrol category you have stiff competition in that segement or choices.
SX4/Honda City/Fiesta are other good cars in that segment he should look at before making final decision.

Cheers
Anju
Old 4th January 2008, 10:35   #5
BANNED

Verna is known for its Diesel Heart dont waste money in Petrol Verna, streatch the budget and go for top end Diesel Verna, if you are keen about Pterol than look for other cars available in that class like Honda City, SX4 etc.
Old 4th January 2008, 11:21   #6
Senior - BHPian

Verna Petrol is a good car and is very well equpiied ( top variant ).

But hardly sells as Verna D accounts for 80 % of its sales.

Suggest the Aveo / NHC / SX4 - they are better than the verna petrol I feel.
Old 4th January 2008, 11:25   #7
Senior - BHPian

if mileage and resale is not a concern, is he going by features ?, safety equipement ? comfort , looks ?

is there any specific attributes he is looking for - that might probably help in making a better choice..

car defenelty looks good and fact that it has not sold great numbers adds to its novelty value also..
Old 4th January 2008, 11:28   #8
Senior - BHPian

The best petrol car in that segment is the Ford Fiesta, test drive it and you will know.
Old 4th January 2008, 11:36   #9
Senior - BHPian

my choice of preference would be sx4,verna,city,fiesta in the case of petrol.sx4 is giving more mileage than verna and almost same power.city would be the last choice as price is more for city and features are less.fiesta maintenence would be an issue.it would be a competition between sx4-verna-fiesta.take a test drive of the 3 and decide.
Old 4th January 2008, 12:06   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Even if mileage and resale aren't an issue, he should still go for the diesel. Economics nothwithstanding, its far better to drive than the lackluster petrol.
Old 4th January 2008, 12:17   #11
BANNED

I would be very reluctant to go for the Verna Petrol. The City ans SX4 are far better options.

Hyundai has never been known for their petrol engines. In the Verna I feel all emphasis was on the Diesel and the Petrol was more of an afterthought, just to complete the range.
Old 4th January 2008, 12:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
The best petrol car in that segment is the Ford Fiesta, test drive it and you will know.
I second this opinion. If you want a car that you will drive yourself, then no other car in the segment comes close to the Fiesta 1.6 sxi.
It scores over the Verna and SX4 even on the mileage factor. As regards maintenance, I've not spent a single pie on it so far in the last 10 months, and I've already covered 7200 kms.
Please also read Suman's post and you will be convinced that the Fiesta is not at all high on maintenance, though Ford cars are commonly perceived to be high on this front.
Old 4th January 2008, 12:34   #13
Senior - BHPian

My order of preference would be SX4>NHC>Verna.

If your uncle loves to drive, go for Verna diesel.
Old 4th January 2008, 14:15   #14
BHPian

I have a petrol Verna XXI. I have driven more than 10k and so far its quite fine. But I still prefer my 7 year old Santro for regular city drives.
Old 4th January 2008, 20:08   #15
aks316

i dont think verna petrol is that good though verna diesel is road rocket.. aveo/fiesta/sx4/city are better.. fiesta for drivng pleasure, performance and build quality.. aveo for looks, features, comfort and ride quality, sx4 for maruti brand and ground clearance.. honda for the honda name, average(FE), comfort and reliabilty..

Most Viewed