Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2008, 13:52   #46
Team-BHP Support

the Corolla is a very nice car, reliable, peppy and comfortable to drive.
At the price you say, its a good VFM.
Moreover you like automatics, so go for corolla.

But be aware, if your running goes up, the fuel bills for magnum will be significantly lower.
Old 6th February 2008, 14:03   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSV View Post
No but seriously, Suman why the Toyota?
I think Tanveer has just answered on my behalf -
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
the Corolla is a very nice car, reliable, peppy and comfortable to drive.
At the price you say, its a good VFM.
Moreover you like automatics, so go for corolla.
Also, wood finish interiors, engine immobiliser (AFAIK the Civic Auto doesn't have it) & a bigger boot & no ground clearance issues. And there's a new story brewing about the Civic "design", read here for more details -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...rds-right.html

Last edited by suman : 6th February 2008 at 14:14.
Old 6th February 2008, 14:22   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSV View Post
OK - I've got the answer - Optra Magnum LT is a better package than the Scorpio mHawk. I am pretty convinced myself.

However I have another question for all of you:

1) I am getting a cash discount of 50K on a 2007 Civic 1.8V A/T. It works out to approx 12.85 L on road. Is that a good deal?

2) I am getting a cash discount of 75K on a 2007 Corolla A/T H3 variant. Works out to approx 11.80 L on road. Is that a good deal?

If I was to ask you to choose between the above 2 options, which one would you all recommend?

Thanks & regards
Good that after your dithering earlier about AT being out of budget, you have come to the correct choice of buying an AT. Between Corolla and Civic, you know my preference. But that is mine.

You should go ahead and take at least 2 TD of both cars preferably in less than perfect road conditions (patches and bumps) and with your loved one sitting in the back. Do it quickly and then decide immediately. If you dither, those 2007 stocks may just disappear the next time you enquire, or the colour may not be to your choice.

Corolla H3 at 11.75 lakhs?. I remember paying 12.1 for H4 of 2006 production. This was 12.20 ex-showroom +90000 insurance and registration less 1.09 discount. This was in March 2007. Has the discount on one year old model gone down. How much is H4 for. You may say that I do not need leather and get it done aftermarket, but some other features are nice to have, notably auto headlights, wooden steering, and steering control.

Civic-selling well deservedly, but not my choice because of some road noise and visibility issues. Nothing else (I have no biases against Honda since I recommended NHC to my brother last month, and he bought it based on my recommendation). It seems that Honda can design jets and excellent cars, but just cannot seem to get road noise out of their cars. Even the new Accord has got excellent reviews by independent, non-car PR mags, but suffers from road noise.

Corolla resale would be lower, but that is after 6-7 years of driving better (for me at least), and Corolla will be a lot easier to sell than a clunker I have at present.

Conclusion: You have made one sensible choice by opting for an AT. No matter what you buy, both are good cars, and it would be your preference. You may live with your choice for 6-7 yrs and with that horizon; consider comfort, driving, and FE as more important.
Old 6th February 2008, 14:27   #49
Senior - BHPian

I am sure that with the Delhi-Gurgaon toll road operational, people with smart tags would be taking lesser time and those with cards and cash more.
Over the last week, because of buying a tag instead of card, I am able to cut my travel time by 10 mins. both ways. Previously for 70 kms daily, it used to take me 150-180 mins. Now it takes me 130-145 mins.

This has had a positive effect on Corolla AT's FE. The week before last (ended 27 Jan), FE was 10.8. Last week (ended 3 Feb) with 5 days of better timings, FE has jumped to 11.7. That has translated into a saving of around Rs. 100 per week, compared with R. 160 on tag cost. Plus the time saved.
Old 6th February 2008, 14:30   #50
Senior - BHPian

Of course, fuel bill for Magnum would be around Rs. 2.3/km approx, compared with around Rs. 4-4.5 for Corolla and Civic. Magnum is also cheaper by around 2-3 lakhs. But no automatic, and you get GM.
Old 21st February 2008, 11:21   #51
HSV
BHPian

Finally took the plunge!

Ok guys... finally got my car yesterday! After extended deliberation I've eventually settled for a Corolla H4 (A/T) - Pearl White Mica.

Delivery and Buying Experience:

Got my car from MGF Gurgaon. Overall experience was great with no dramas ensuing. Paperwork took its normal time and I wasnt pushy at all (had read the PDI list thanks to TBhp). The car was ready as promised. I am not an expert but it looked OK under the strong afternoon sun with no signs of scratches or damage at all.

The showroom was nice enough to throw in a couple of free accessories which came as a pleasant surprise as it had not been bargained for.

It was a very comfortable drive back from the showroom and an A/T is a definite thumbs up. Today it is sitting comfortably parked at home because this morning I cajoled my wife to drive me to work in HER Indigo, on the pretext that she needs to start practicing on HER car now.

Thanks to all of you for your valuable feedback. Not only that it was because of TBhp that I could be aware of what discounts are on in the market and that too not only in and around Delhi but also elsewhere in the country. Knowing this goes a long way in un-nerving the hardened sales guys into relenting to a discount of your choice.

And last but not the least a special thanks to our mate VASUDEVA (the official spokesperson for Toyota ). If today I have bought the Corolla H4 is mostly due to his confidence in the product as it was his reviews and feedback which finally helped me to decide on this particular car and variant.

P.S. - @Mods I know I have exceeded the 2 smiley limit (by one extra smiley). Do excuse me this once.

Thanks & regards,
Old 21st February 2008, 11:44   #52
Senior - BHPian

At last!! Congrats HSV! Nice choice. Please post some snaps of your car.
Old 21st February 2008, 14:10   #53
Senior - BHPian

Congrats HSV. How much was the OTR price of the Corolla H4 Automatic?
A pal of mine bought a Civic AT for around 14 lacs last month.
Old 21st February 2008, 14:13   #54
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your new car!

Last edited by ST7677 : 21st February 2008 at 14:15.
Old 21st February 2008, 14:41   #55
Senior - BHPian

I do not see anyone suggesting VW Jetta. Most of your requirements will be met by this car even though this car will be released later this year.See this report -
Vollkswagen Jetta launch in India soon, VW Jetta price similar to Honda City, photos and specifications

Jetta meets your requirements 6/6.

PS - Didn't see you have already made your choice before posting this message.

Last edited by DieselFan : 21st February 2008 at 14:45.
Old 21st February 2008, 15:22   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
I do not see anyone suggesting VW Jetta. Most of your requirements will be met by this car even though this car will be released later this year.See this report -
Vollkswagen Jetta launch in India soon, VW Jetta price similar to Honda City, photos and specifications

Jetta meets your requirements 6/6.

PS - Didn't see you have already made your choice before posting this message.

I am afraid if the Jetta would have met his requirements. It is going to be priced around 14lakhs. I too was eager to buy the Jetta expecting it to be priced on par with the City. Now I have settled down on a Civic. Seeing HSV's discounts and Vasudeva's comments, I will have to think again
Old 21st February 2008, 21:47   #57
Senior - BHPian

Good choice great buy! All the best thats the car I have in mind when I am buying Luxury AT Sedan in couple of years.

Corolla is excellant car its dream car!

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 22nd February 2008, 09:32   #58
Senior - BHPian

HSV, congrats, so you finally did it, good to see you went with the Corolla! Happy mile munching in your new acquisition, keep us posted on your ownership experience
Old 22nd February 2008, 16:34   #59
HSV
BHPian

Thanks guys, appreciate your good wishes. All your feedbacks helped me in making an informed decision.

Maybe I'll start a Initial Ownership thread alongwith a few pics.

Thanks & regards

P.S. - @Mods your most welcome closing this thread as its pretty much served its purpose. Also you may edit the name "Finally Bought Corolla" .

Last edited by HSV : 22nd February 2008 at 16:40.
Old 25th February 2008, 12:32   #60
BHPian

HSV, Congrats on your purchase
Hopefully my H3 auto ( I chose it specifically because it does not have leather seats - but that is another story) will finally be delivered this week.
Had been following this thread very closely - good to have another people in the forum who are Corolla auto owners - there is Vasudeva to be sure - would be good to swap experiences
Please post pics when possible
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks