Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2008, 01:15   #1
BHPian

Car for Super Tall Men

I am 6 feet 4 inches tall with a slight issue with my back. Whenever I drive a car that my back doesnt like, it acts up. I now own a WagonR and its been, by far, the most comfortable car for me. I have had problems with my wife's Santro too (my back can actually tell between a Santro and a WagonR) !!

I am now planning for my second car. I tried to figure what is best for me based on the premise that it has to be close to WagonR to be to my back's liking. I felt that the high seats in the WagonR and the leg room it affords (I drive with my seat completely pulled back) are the diffrentiating factors and hence went out looking for a larger car.

I think I have a budget of about Rs. 8 Lakhs. I travel about 1000 KM per month. I havent done a lot of highway with my WagonR but want to do it with this new one. Thats one of the reasons for my upgrade. It has to comfortably seat four persons, none less than 5'10" in height. I like to do my driving (no chauffer). I think I am going to keep this car for about five years.

Can somebody suggest what might be my best bet. It would be nice if you tell me how tall you are when you are at it
Old 17th January 2008, 10:34   #2
Senior - BHPian

looking at your requirements, and given the fact that you want to do highway driving on the new car, the only one that comes to mind is the Safari Dicor LX. it costs about 8.4l OTR hyd and you can bargain for some discounts as well now.

alternatively, you can check with the dealers if they still have any stock of the 3.0 left. you shoul dbe able to get that for about 7.xx lakhs.

the safari has teh MOST comfortable seating of any car sold in india with acres of legroom/headroom/shoulder room and a brilliant suspension.
Old 17th January 2008, 10:51   #3
BHPian

I agree, Safari Dicor should suit you back!! Probably you could check out the Scorpio too. However if your requirement is a car specifically, the SX4 is a good option. Very comfortable seating and sufficient leg room. TD it.
Old 17th January 2008, 11:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

I too suggest Safari (comfort first reliability next) LX which is really good vehicle If comfort and space is requirement for 8 lac price limit.

Innova (reliability first comfort next) comes next G1 model is ideal choice for 8 lac price limit although its much more than 8 lac on road but give it a try.

Both are equalliy good vehilcles!

I don't mean innova is not comfortable and not that safari is unreliable. what I mean is if reliability is top priority think Innova and if comfort is whats needed then its Safari all the way and for the heights of the people you mentioned I suggest only Safari or Innova nothing else. These 2 vehicles are designed for Tall people

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 17th January 2008, 11:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

Yeah,santros can be a pain for tall ppl.

Why dont you try out a pair of bucket seats,lookalike recaros and the like .. get it installed the way you would like to sit and it should help.

The safari is great,so is the innova.They are great for the highway too //

Im 6'2''

Last edited by binz : 17th January 2008 at 11:26.
Old 17th January 2008, 11:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

Yeah I second what Himanshu has said, Try new safari Dicor, it fits your height n budget too
Old 17th January 2008, 11:39   #7
Senior - BHPian

Like the others said, a tall SUV like the Safari is a solution for you. You could however wait and check out the new Sumo Grande as well.
Old 17th January 2008, 12:29   #8
Team-BHP Support

you could get the top end sumo grande in that.
Old 17th January 2008, 13:04   #9
BHPian

Yes, a safari should suit you not just for you back but considering that you want it to accomodate some 4 other tall persons and should be safe enough for highway cruises. Being very tall, safari can be your first choice for easy ingress and egress.
Old 17th January 2008, 13:15   #10

While the Safari would probably be the most comfortable, if you dont want something quite so large you could also check out the SX4. It has a nice upright seating position and the fully loaded model fits in your budget.
Old 17th January 2008, 13:52   #11
Senior - BHPian

For your requirements, i would suggest you the NHC, its a fantastic car and fits your requirement to a T, also the headroom is very good and you should not have issues with your back at all. The car is very comfortable, however power for the highways is just adequate, strech to the Vtec variant if possible.

In the SX4/Swift you wont have any problems at all with your head, i can assure you
Old 17th January 2008, 13:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

SX4's seating position is horrid. I hated the test drive :(. In the sedans, the best seats are in the optra. The best driving position is hands down the cedia... nothing comes remotely close. Oh yes I'm 6'2''. Safari is sweet in comfort but manouvering it in city traffic on a daily basis will be a nightmare. Plus there are the tata reliability issues.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 17th January 2008 at 13:57.
Old 17th January 2008, 14:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

ROC - Seating position is different from seating comfort and head room, the Optra wont be succesful in holding a man's head with a height of 6ft 4.
Old 17th January 2008, 14:58   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentleGiant View Post
I am 6 feet 4 inches tall with a slight issue with my back. Whenever I drive a car that my back doesnt like, it acts up. I now own a WagonR and its been, by far, the most comfortable car for me. I have had problems with my wife's Santro too (my back can actually tell between a Santro and a WagonR) !!

I am now planning for my second car. I tried to figure what is best for me based on the premise that it has to be close to WagonR to be to my back's liking. I felt that the high seats in the WagonR and the leg room it affords (I drive with my seat completely pulled back) are the diffrentiating factors and hence went out looking for a larger car.

I think I have a budget of about Rs. 8 Lakhs. I travel about 1000 KM per month. I havent done a lot of highway with my WagonR but want to do it with this new one. Thats one of the reasons for my upgrade. It has to comfortably seat four persons, none less than 5'10" in height. I like to do my driving (no chauffer). I think I am going to keep this car for about five years.

Can somebody suggest what might be my best bet. It would be nice if you tell me how tall you are when you are at it

Sir,

I am 6'1'' and weigh 106 Kgs.

You cannot get a car that can accommodate you plus 3 adults. The moment you sit comfortably , the car will become a 3 seater (including you because the seat will have to be pushed all the way back )

What I did for my car was to take it to Koyas Coimbatore, just throw away the original seats, got new seat frames fabricated, got the front seat mount pushed back by 3 inches, got the rear seat mount pushed back by 3 inches and shortened the jump seats by 4 inches.

You can see pictures here.

My SPGM gallery=

To do this , you need an SUV . No car that I know of will give you freedom to modify like this.

On the other hand if you want a car that can seat just you comfortably, I would suggest buying a Palio / Swift / getz and taking it to koyas and getting the front seat mount relocated by 2-3 inches.
Old 17th January 2008, 15:01   #15
Team-BHP Support

rrnsss. i beg to differ. in my innova even comfortably driving the seat isnt back fully. even if its almost back there is enough space in the middle row for a normal or a slightly tall person to sit. im almost 6"4" btw.

Most Viewed