Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2008, 08:43   #1
BHPian

Need a CRDi Diesel, trouble free and reliable.

looking to upgrade to a Diesel CRDi. Priority is Trouble free as it will be owned by my father. They are spoilt by Santro which is an awesomely reliable car, touchwood.

Now need a latest generation Diesel CRDi. Shortlisted on the priorities:

1. RELIABILITY & Trouble Free Maintenance
2. Spacious/Comfortable travel
3. FE.
4. Around 7 lakhs.

Shortlisted 2nd Hand 2006/2007 Scorpio with less than 40k mileage or a brand new Getz CRDi. Swift is in the list as well but its niggling issues, cramped interior and the delivery time makes me sick of it. Verna reviews are giving thumbs down to its handling/ride quality. Fabia, too new to try and felt personally underpowered by its figures and its 3 pot engine might be noisy. No TATAs pls. 2nd hand Scoda's might be too much to handle in terms of maintenance, euro tradition!.

Suggestions please! Is 2nd Scorpio is reliable usually as my dad needs to take it 100kms to find a Mahindra Service Center.

Any other suggestions or -ves to my shortlists : Scorpio/Getz CRDi.
Old 4th February 2008, 08:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

Since reliability and ease of maintenance are your top priorities, I'd suggest the Swift diesel. It's worth the wait.
A Getz could be a strong candidate but will certainly cost more to maintain, quite apart from the hassel of looking for a Hyundai Service Centre. Hyundai is not pocket friendly.
Old 4th February 2008, 08:55   #3
rippergeo

yes the swift has minor annoyances like rattles. but it is reliable.its engine has been running well in europe for the last 2-3 years. its a proven engine.

the scorpio has some fit and finish issues, but they seem to have fixed it in the mhawk version

the getz crdi seems to be your best bet. but not sure about engine's longevity. however, having said that, we have gambled and picked up the verna CRDI. hyundais warranty is very nice(3 yrs unlimited) their after sales service is also very good.

as you can see, all options are decent.

just make sure maintenance is done on time, and that you stay away from premium diesel. these were the two things i neglected in my prev car, the Accent CRDI. but it still ran well for 80k, then sold it cause of the horror stories that were circulating, not because of any major problems.

Old 4th February 2008, 09:01   #4
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Since reliability and ease of maintenance are your top priorities, I'd suggest the Swift diesel. It's worth the wait.
A Getz could be a strong candidate but will certainly cost more to maintain, quite apart from the hassel of looking for a Hyundai Service Centre. Hyundai is not pocket friendly.
I never thought I would be such a strong supporter of hyundai, when they first launched in India. But my experience with them have always been superior to my experiences with Maruti. Hyundai is friendly, And their cars are pocket friendly too. With every car I pick up from them, I trust them more and more.

agreed it will be costlier to maintain than the swift, but that is because the car itself is costlier. going by that reasoning, we should all buy M800s because they are the cheapest to maintain.

Old 4th February 2008, 09:39   #5
Team-BHP Support

Go for the Getz Crdi .
The swift is by no means as comfortable, esp for back seat passengers

On the maintenance front both hyundai and maruti will give you good service and cheap comparable spare prices.

Have had multiple hyundai's in family and never had any "Expensive spares" related issues
Old 4th February 2008, 09:42   #6
BHPian

Since you don't mind a second hand car, have you considered the Accent CRDI/Viva CRDI? Mine's at 25 K on the Odo and no issues at all. The spares are the cheapest around. You should be able to get a terrific car in the budget you've mentioned. Just make sure its a single owner and the service records are available.
Old 4th February 2008, 10:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

I would not recommed you to a Second Hand Scorpio - as these vehicles are usually friven pretty rough so finding a second hand good condition Scorpio is next to Impossible. A new one - YES, no problem in going with that.

Verna is an excellent car - all the problems have been sorted out and DO not worry about the Handling Part unless you / yr Dad really floor yr cars.

Getz CRDi I fell is expensive for what they offer - BUT if it is a hatchback you want then I would say its much better than the Swift DIesel in terms of performance.
Old 4th February 2008, 10:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

I Suggest you to go for GetZ Crdi.Personally i feel it's a good buy.
Swift D has rattling problem which is very disappointed whenever you take the car in rough roads.it makes curse ourselves for taking decision to but this car.
If you can wait for sometimes,probably GetZ crdi with ABS will be released soon.
Old 4th February 2008, 10:28   #9
BHPian

hello

I have getz crdi...I am too happy to make decision to buy this car with power...I would have appreciated more with a ABS as I travel a lot on highways....in 2 months clocked 8300kms
Old 4th February 2008, 10:58   #10
Senior - BHPian

Since you are open to used cars, how about the Elantra CRDi? Its fully loaded with airbags, ABS, TCS, alloys and climate control. Very reliable (I covered 40k+ kms without any issues) and quite cheap to maintain. The 2.0 engine puts out around 112Bhp and around 25(?) kgm of torque. IMHO, its a very good VFM deal.
Old 4th February 2008, 11:28   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
looking to upgrade to a Diesel CRDi. Priority is Trouble free as it will be owned by my father. They are spoilt by Santro which is an awesomely reliable car, touchwood.

Now need a latest generation Diesel CRDi. Shortlisted on the priorities:

1. RELIABILITY & Trouble Free Maintenance
2. Spacious/Comfortable travel
3. FE.
4. Around 7 lakhs.

Shortlisted 2nd Hand 2006/2007 Scorpio with less than 40k mileage or a brand new Getz CRDi. Swift is in the list as well but its niggling issues, cramped interior and the delivery time makes me sick of it. Verna reviews are giving thumbs down to its handling/ride quality. Fabia, too new to try and felt personally underpowered by its figures and its 3 pot engine might be noisy. No TATAs pls. 2nd hand Scoda's might be too much to handle in terms of maintenance, euro tradition!.

Suggestions please! Is 2nd Scorpio is reliable usually as my dad needs to take it 100kms to find a Mahindra Service Center.

Any other suggestions or -ves to my shortlists : Scorpio/Getz CRDi.
VERNA - No competition.
Old 4th February 2008, 11:38   #12
Senior - BHPian

Good 3

Three good choices are only distinguished from one another by the fact that Scorpio is big and can move people and stuff with greater ease. Its size makes it safer than the other two, generally. If size is not important, Getz has a snappy engine. Beyond that to me, it would come down to service, which one's dealer is closer or better with service.
Old 4th February 2008, 13:37   #13
BHPian

How about Fabia? Should be very comfortable and engine should be trouble free. Only questions is the service costs.
Old 4th February 2008, 13:59   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

my vote too goes for Getz crdi. it is a better overall package for a family car than swift. it is only marginally more expensive to own than swift. i mean someone who can comfortably own swift can also own getz without feeling any pinch.

though i don't own hyundai, i always felt they try harder to please the customers than any other car brand in india.
Old 4th February 2008, 14:15   #15
BHPian

I have owned Accent CRDi and now driving Verna CRDI. I blindly, recommend Verna CRDi- absolutely trouble free, low maintenance cost and vast service network, great features and what a fun to drive car. Cost a bit more than your budget, though.
Else, Swift VDI .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks