Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2008, 13:27   #1
BHPian

Car for Me

Hello All,

There are many threads in what car forum. I am just confused. I went through most of them but not able to make a decision.

I have 15 Lakhs and looking to buy a new car. Which car should i go for.

I am mainly looking for a Good Looking and Reliable car.

Presently the cars i have in my mind,

Skoda Laura,
Honda Civic ( Many on Road and kinda became old )
Optra Magnum

Let me know if there are any other options or should i wait for a any new car coming up.

I want to buy the car by March Ending.
Old 10th February 2008, 13:43   #2
BHPian

Skoda pure perfection (just in case u think thats too old shape n design now)
Civic- still a head turner( if style is what u looking at)
Verna-just one word performance

Skoda tops in every angle, even if you have to drive more than 50 kms a day, still treated as value for money

running civic in mumbai, be prepared to up shift the low ground clearnace

Verna- doesnt look royal in class niether we cancompare with skoda and civic, if you are looking for performance, this is the choice

If I have to travel 50 odd kms, I will opt for civic
Cheers
Wadhwa Ajay
Old 10th February 2008, 14:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

Octavia in your list would be nice. Do try the new Optra TCDI though. Optra TCDI has superb comfort levels and a gem of an engine. Octavia is a gracefully aged car now and should be passed in comparison.
Old 10th February 2008, 15:43   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I'd suggest you check out the Laura too.
Old 10th February 2008, 16:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msupercool View Post
hey guys im planning to buy a new car but im realy confused which one to buy.i have 3 cars in mind Skoda rider,Civic (manual) & Verna.my budget is around 13 the car will be self driven and will be doing around 50kms max everyday.i want a good power,comfort level and fuel economy.i know that the civic won't give me an avg more than 9 but thats fine as the car wont be running that much.
help me with this guys
For 50 kms/day and power, fuel economy, it would be Verna CRDI. But the comfort level is not so great in Verna compared to Skoda & Honda. Though I don't own any of the cars, but the general feedback in this forum is A** and spare parts will be much cheaper in case of Verna compared to other two.
Old 10th February 2008, 16:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

Optra Magnum.
Skodas have an expensive after sales service.
Old 10th February 2008, 16:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Optra Magnum.
Howz the A** and Spare parts costs for GM cars in Mumbai?
Old 10th February 2008, 21:15   #8
Senior - BHPian

cedia,magnum are 2 good options you left out.check them out -have a TD and decide.i would suggest the magnum.its a diesel one good power nice road presence and GM claims no much cost of maintenence.

ram
Old 10th February 2008, 21:44   #9
BHPian

Hi msupercool,

If you can get with little high cost of ownership, then just go for octy OR luara. Too good to drive and own.

Alternativly: I suggest Optra magnum TDCi, great car, super engine with huge torque. I had a long TD when I was choosing between Laura and magnum. Though I have gone for Laura, I liked the Drive of Magnum to a great extent. Plus you will get some decent discount also.

- Vipul
Old 10th February 2008, 22:30   #10
Senior - BHPian

Our of the 3 cars, the best is the Civic, go for it. If you want FE then get the Verna/Optra Magnum.
Old 10th February 2008, 22:52   #11
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest a Civic any day in the three.their A** is better than the rest two
Old 10th February 2008, 23:36   #12
BHPian

civic is a really good car but so is the other 2, i would say verna is a better option as if you look at the civic and skoda threads posted in team-bhp.com, most of them say that civic and skoda lack ground cleareance wich is a must for indian road and the huge road humps that we have.
Old 11th February 2008, 00:05   #13
Senior - BHPian

Msupercool - You want power, comfort and good FE. Magnum fits the bill perfectly.

Among the three you have in mind, two come with both petrol and diesel engines. Which ones are you looking at?

Skoda Rider: Very good handling. Brilliant build quality. Diesel is underpowered when compared to more modern rivals. Petrol is weak on FE when driven hard. If FE and rear seat comfort is not an issue, buy the 1.8TPi Rider.

Civic: Good overall car. Good A.S.S. Better resale value. But, the petrol Octy is MUCH more fun to drive.

Verna: When you are ready to spend around 13L, why are you looking at that segment?

Try the Cedia and the Magnum. Actually, Magnum gives you the best of everything. Its quite powerful (even more so when the tuning box comes out), the interiors are very comfortable and plush (though the wood trim looks tacky) and being a diesel, FE is pretty decent. I get 11+ kpl on a regular basis with AC in Calcutta traffic.
Old 11th February 2008, 09:27   #14
BANNED

Take a look on following thread on Civic Vs Laura Ambiente - Most says Civic

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...-ambiente.html

I went for Civic (S MT) and had a funny issue. See the thread below

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...rds-right.html

A bigger problem (than GC) in Civic I faced is lack of low-end torque. Making the car move from stand still on first gear is a real pain. You have to raise the engine (about 2k rpm) and declutch a lot, or let the whole engine vibrate. Eitherway you will not get a smooth start. Its a real pain in city conditions. Though I still like my Civic, I will not recommend.

Laura, no way. This fourm itself has lot of reason why.

Optra - Very old looks.

If you can wait, wait for new corolla. I couldn't as I sold my car before I booked my car.
Old 11th February 2008, 10:11   #15
Senior - BHPian

Apart from the 3 cars you mentioned, you can consider optra magnum diesel topend or sonata embera crdi.(though slightly more, you can get good discounts but at the cost of low resale value.)

raj

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks