Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2008, 23:28   #31
BHPian

what exactly did you mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvd View Post
Been driving the Optra Magnum from August last year. Amazing power over 2200rpm. Pulls like crazy! Extremely good ride, soaks up bumps and craters very well. Handling is scary at high speeds. FE is 12+ in Calcutta, 90% AC. Haven't faced any problems so far. 1st service done at 5200kms. Cost Rs. 1440. Overall, a very competent car.

I am planning to buy the Magnum this year if the SRV diesel does not get released soon. Please tell me exactly what you mean by suspect handling at high speeds. Does it not handle as well as the Palio GTX at 140kmph and below.
Bye and wear your seat belts.
Old 27th February 2008, 09:12   #32
BANNED

Hey zoom_vroom, New City (NC) is expected in Oct 2008. Can you wait till then? How about going for the existing City?
Old 27th February 2008, 09:19   #33
BHPian

Yeah i can wait for the New City coz till now Honda products have fared good.
If City launches in Oct-08, there would be an initial rush for the car.
Also its always advisable to buy a car after it has been in market for around 6 months to gauge its on road performance.
Old 27th February 2008, 09:29   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
I am planning to buy the Magnum this year if the SRV diesel does not get released soon. Please tell me exactly what you mean by suspect handling at high speeds. Does it not handle as well as the Palio GTX at 140kmph and below.
Bye and wear your seat belts.
The magnum has very poor handling at just about any speed. Palio handles much better compared to it.
Old 27th February 2008, 10:01   #35
BANNED

NewCity will launched worldwide. Before India, Thailand gets it in August 2008. So by October, you will have plenty of owner reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom_vroom View Post
Also its always advisable to buy a car after it has been in market for around 6 months to gauge its on road performance.
Old 27th February 2008, 10:20   #36
Senior - BHPian

Is the magnum such a junk.I had never felt it that way.It is a good handling one at pretty good speeds.I had done about 120 kmph and was much better than my verna.Or is it like cedia is a better handler.Please clarify reignofachaos.
ram
Old 27th February 2008, 10:49   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
Is the magnum such a junk.I had never felt it that way.It is a good handling one at pretty good speeds.I had done about 120 kmph and was much better than my verna.Or is it like cedia is a better handler.Please clarify reignofachaos.
ram
Ram,

IMHO you can't really compare handling of Optra Magnum and Verna with Mitsubishi Cedia because Magnum's & Verna's handling too leaves a lot to be desired..There are enough experiential feedback on this forum on the two cars handling at high speed. Verna is no benchmark in handling respect.

Mitsu Cedia is a class apart when it comes to handling at high speed. I'm sure R_O_C and other Cedia owners will be able to answer this better.

Cheers
Ash
Old 27th February 2008, 11:13   #38
Senior - BHPian

Ram the only way to answer that question would be to ask you to test drive the Cedia yourself. The high speed composure of this car is a class apart.
Old 27th February 2008, 12:00   #39
Senior - BHPian

Some clarifications WRT Magnum manners.
Magnum IS NOT JUNK. Handling at normal speeds is okay! Its only above 140-150 that things become hairy. The steering feels spring loaded. The cr#$%^ stock tyres don't help matters either. That said, high speed composure in a straight line is very good. Its only when you want to turn at high speeds that the deficiencies come to fore. Otherwise its an entertaining drive.
But, yes. The Cedia is much better in the handling department.
Old 27th February 2008, 12:13   #40
Senior - BHPian

Then there is no need to go at 140-150 in a Magnum. Anyway, how many kms are logged at such speeds. If the car performs well upto 100-120, that should be OK enough.
Old 27th February 2008, 12:13   #41
Team-BHP Support

I agree with shuvd. The handling is not as bad as it's being made out to be. The only thing I feel is the lifeless steering which doesn't have good feedback. Probably that's what gives a feeling of poor handling. The handling is very neutral and safe unless your doing some insane speeds which will be unsafe in any car on our roads.
Old 27th February 2008, 12:19   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
The handling is very neutral and safe unless your doing some insane speeds which will be unsafe in any car on our roads.
Sorry, but insane speeds of >130 kmph/90 mph would be unsafe on any roads. God help those who choose a car based on how it handles at insane speeds. As I said, what matters is how it handles at practical speeds.
Old 27th February 2008, 13:04   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Sorry, but insane speeds of >130 kmph/90 mph would be unsafe on any roads. God help those who choose a car based on how it handles at insane speeds. As I said, what matters is how it handles at practical speeds.
Nothing to be sorry about. That's exactly what I meant. The car is safe for practical speeds on our roads.
Old 27th February 2008, 16:46   #44
VMG
BHPian

Vasudev

When you invest around 10 lacs on the car, it should be good in all speed. Otherwise it is not worth spending that much money.
Old 27th February 2008, 17:30   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMG View Post
Vasudev

When you invest around 10 lacs on the car, it should be good in all speed. Otherwise it is not worth spending that much money.
VMG, I support you on this.
I have seen people calming 170kmph with cedia in this forum itself.
Anyone did this with a Magnum or any other car of this range?
Stability is most important at high speeds. It all depends on the buyer choice and his driving habits.
Only reason you may want to say no to cedia will be for the resale and brand value (in India).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks