Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2008, 17:58   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMG View Post
Vasudev

When you invest around 10 lacs on the car, it should be good in all speed. Otherwise it is not worth spending that much money.
if that is the case, then if you are spending 10 lacs, you should expect climate control, and not standard AC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
I have seen people calming 170kmph with cedia in this forum itself. Anyone did this with a Magnum or any other car of this range?.
There is a difference in saying and actual experience. The fact is, there is no road in India, where you can do more than 150 kmph consistently for 5 minutes.. Possibly, Cedia might be good handler at high speed say 170, but that is just an added thought, and nothing more!

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post. Also use multi quote option to quote pultiple posts.

Last edited by Technocrat : 27th February 2008 at 18:21. Reason: Back to back post
Old 27th February 2008, 18:08   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
if that is the case, then if you are spending 10 lacs, you should expect climate control, and not standard AC.
Does that really matter?
As far as I know Magnum also does not have Climate control.
How many cars up to 10Lakhs have climate control? (SX4 for sure)
Lets talk about some serious matters than some small negligible goodies.
Old 27th February 2008, 18:20   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The fact is, there is no road in India, where you can do more than 150 kmph consistently for 5 minutes..
I wouldnt make such a tall claim without having driven all over the country.

Trust me we do have such roads & quite a new ones are coming up.
Old 27th February 2008, 18:43   #49
Senior - BHPian

The reason why people find Magnum bad handler might be partially attributed to hard clutch and brake, compared to Cedia.

Quote:
I wouldnt make such a tall claim without having driven all over the country.
Trust me we do have such roads & quite a new ones are coming up.
comeon, please don't get too high on my remark. I was being subjective and was commenting on the overall aspect of Indian roads and highways!

Last edited by iTNerd : 27th February 2008 at 18:44.
Old 27th February 2008, 19:16   #50
Senior - BHPian

I was just clearing the air justin case.

Btw whats clutch got to do with handling?
Old 28th February 2008, 01:39   #51
BHPian

Quote:
The reason why people find Magnum bad handler might be partially attributed to hard clutch and brake, compared to Cedia.

Huh?? whats that got to do with handling???

comeon, please don't get too high on my remark. I was being subjective and was commenting on the overall aspect of Indian roads and highways!
The fact remains that Cedia is a good handler at all speeds.There is no need to confuse issues with hard clutch and brake and Indian roads and highways..Roads and highways are getting better as we speak.
Old 28th February 2008, 14:46   #52
BHPian

Guys anyone hardly goes upto 120Kmph + in normal driving.
So if Magnum is good enough at that speed, it does the job.
Clutch and Hard brake don't relate to the car's handling.
Seems to me that Magnum is a better package with Diesel engine and more comprehensive dealer network and after sales.
By the way i heard that diesel vehicles will be restricted from entering Delhi to make Delhi pollution free.
Does anyone have any idea about this or is this just a rumour?
Old 28th February 2008, 18:19   #53
BHPian

Zoom,

I drive Cedia and did try lot of other cars like Elantra, Corolla, Optra & Civic before making up my mind on it. You would find pros & cons for both the cars but given your usage and other details that you had provided, Cedia would be the car for you.

If your heart is on Optra, go for it. if not, Cedia is the best bet. I am simply delighted with all aspects of driving and owning a car with Cedia.
Old 28th February 2008, 18:29   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom_vroom View Post
By the way i heard that diesel vehicles will be restricted from entering Delhi to make Delhi pollution free.
Does anyone have any idea about this or is this just a rumour?
It won't happen in the next 30 years. In fact, I was reading recently that the Delhi Govt's proposal has been shot down by one of the Courts.

Besides, do you think the automotive lobby will allow it? I would think not.

I'd say once again - TD both & go with the one you find better. Something tells me it will be the Cedia. If you do not want to take the plunge, settle for the Magnum which is a very good car in all respects except, maybe, high speed cornering

PM Shuvd who has a Magnum (though he's given you the gist of his experience in a pretty concise form) for more on that.

Me? If the cost of Petrol vs the cost of Diesel was not the factor, I'd go for the Cedia anyday
Old 29th February 2008, 22:53   #55
BHPian

hey zoom vroom even i own a magnum and i think that a diesel is not actually required by you. diesel relates to better FE which is quite relevant for the magnum as well. if FE is no issue, cedia is a wonderful car no doubt.

actually in my case i just fell for the addictive and mindblowing power of the car and FE was an important concern for me, so i actually had no other choice apart from octi diesel which disappoints in terms of sheer performance especially when compared to magnum

about the maintenance part, you wont actually find a noticeable difference and u get the chevvy promise alongwith it.. so i was actually stress free for the maintenance part as well (not more than Rs. 26K in 2yrs as far as i remember)

cedia on the other hand is a wonderful handler and that is not quite surprising .. lancer lineup of cars have been living on with their handling prowess since ages.. refined engine and decent performance (on par and even better than most petrols in its class).. at the end its your own take..
cheers
gaurav
Old 3rd March 2008, 09:50   #56
BHPian

Hey Guys
I test drove the Honda VTEC and Chevy Magnum this weekend.
Floored by the zoom one gets past 2K PM in Magnum, but i found Magnum's engine not as refined as expected.Probabaly coz it was a TD car.I felt vibrations in the clutch pedal and that disapponted me.
On the other hand in the city i found the VTEC and normal GXi to behave more or less the same way.Not much difference in power, and i found the VTEC to be noisy at higher revs.
Old 4th March 2008, 22:58   #57
BHPian

about comparing the city zx and vtec.. i surprisingly find the zx more comfortable to drive than the vtec and to be really true i find the OHC vtec's engine much more responsive... just love it

about the magnum - the engine is quite refined .. may be u got a TD vehicle and please remember its still a DIESEL, so it'll obviously be a bit coarse compared to any gasoline, try comparing it with other diesels and you would know

cheers
Old 5th March 2008, 09:56   #58
Senior - BHPian

Most common rails have a very rough cold start. Clatters like there is no tomorrow. But, they settle down nicely when warmed up.
@ Zoom_vroom - Try to TD another Magnum. You probably got an abused piece to drive.
Old 28th March 2008, 16:31   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On the other hand in the city i found the VTEC and normal GXi to behave more or less the same way.Not much difference in power, and i found the VTEC to be noisy at higher revs.
That's strange. I found a significant difference in performance between the GXi and the VTEC. GXi isn't the most responsive of cars, while the VTEC is, well, a VTEC
Old 28th March 2008, 16:35   #60
BANNED

Thats the VTEC music for which every auto-enthusiast dies for !!
Quote:
and i found the VTEC to be noisy at higher revs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks