Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2008, 15:18   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You want to buy a new car for a trip thats expected to last only 20 days? It would be best for you to rent a car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Went thru your blog. ............
....Renting a car for this is ruled out as the interstate taxes will be a big hassle. you should use a car registered for private use i.e. White board car..............
Besides, Rent a car is not that evolved in these parts of the country.
Hertz' cars do not have all India permit .. or does it?
Old 1st March 2008, 16:16   #17
Senior - BHPian

Go for a sedan, they are stabler and more maneuverable at high speeds Vs. SUV's.
Old 1st March 2008, 22:23   #18
Senior - BHPian

For high speed highway cruise I suggest Sedan. Renting is best option. Corolla, Optra, Logan (its highly recomanded because it has godo space including big boot, rent would be less compared with luxury cars), Civic, Indigo.

Try these for short trip based on which you like, pick it up for your long drive

The reason I baught Innova because I would never have my car go beyond 120kmph and I need lot of space.

In your case If high speed is priority it has to be sedan (very less body roll compared with SUV/MUV).
If not think about Safari/Innova which would give better ride comfort for long drive with some body roll. Anyday SUV/MUV would give beter ride comfort compared with Sedan.

Make your calculation very well and decide, All the best!

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 1st March 2008 at 22:27.
Old 1st March 2008, 22:40   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You want to buy a new car for a trip thats expected to last only 20 days? It would be best for you to rent a car.

Scorpios and Innovas are easily available for rental use, with luck, you may spot a Safari too. But I don't really see the need for an SUV / MUV here. A competent sedan will make the drive far more enjoyable. Take your pick from an Optra, Corolla, Octavia or even a Civic.
That sounds great. Also can easily rent a Fiat palio adventurer /siena weekender.
Very nice highway cars.
Skoda rocks of course .
Old 1st March 2008, 23:27   #20
BHPian

Woo hoo..

Too many choices .. good ones but.

Have you guys seen Ajay Devgan in "Cash"? The hilarious scene where a jogger overtakes him. I actually picked that and tried and it was very very relaxing I must say. In moving traffic on internal roads its fun to drive as slow as possible.

So that tells me that I am not a speed freak, though occasionally with a good song speeding is fun, but not of the order of 150 or so. Haven't ever driven above 90 i think. It was 90 or so on my way from Amritsar to Chandigarh, my father-in-law wasn't happy at it, he wanted to go above 100 in 10 year old M800. I think those were good Punjab roads, but GQ should be better.

About space since I am going to be on road for almost a month I would say lots of space is needed, not just boot space but space to organize a little room for myself, like a drinking water 25 ltr keg. An ice cooler for beer/cold drink. An option to stretch sometimes once in a while by lowering the back.

All these space requirements and no need for high speeds of above 120 (lets say) tells me that SUV/MUV with little body roll should be fine. What say?

About renting Vs buying and selling, one of the option I have is to cut a deal with one of the second hand car dealers to let me use one of his cars for the trip and pay a lumpsum. The renting is not coming to anything below 1200-1500 per day for an Innova (from Bangalore). I tried a2b bangalore as mentioned in some other posts. Please let me know other options for renting.

For buying if finances makes sense, in terms of loss, I am willing to keep it for a year or so. I generally buy second hand cars to keep them for 2-3 years and loose less money compared to a new car. Also, my car will be due for change after Oct, so if I can get a Safari and sell it after a year for like 30-40k loss, I am willing to do it. But then the problem of my 300km city driving comes in .

Hope this gives us more to discuss.
Old 2nd March 2008, 13:09   #21
Senior - BHPian

hey jits,
looking at all your requirments, i would suggest a innova, it would be trouble free, comfortable and a very reliable vehicle, which can be used in the city too once your trip is over with, the icing on the cake being that innova holds it's resale well.
trust me the innova is very easy and simple to drive in the city once you get used to the length of the car.
Old 2nd March 2008, 13:15   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadix View Post
hey jits,
looking at all your requirments, i would suggest a innova, it would be trouble free, comfortable and a very reliable vehicle, which can be used in the city too once your trip is over with, the icing on the cake being that innova holds it's resale well.
trust me the innova is very easy and simple to drive in the city once you get used to the length of the car.
I second that. If you are making this trip on your without any sponsors and all, have an innnova. Especially since you are never going to do 120+, because, till such speed,an Innova is equally surefooted as a sedan. And you can carry half ur house also, if you dont keep that third row seatds
Old 3rd March 2008, 14:18   #23
BHPian

Innova sounds interesting. It can be easily found. I read an article about innova petrol giving average of 12.5 on highways.

Its actually my dream car, has been since launch.

I think Innova wins hands down with Safari and Scorpio.. What say?
Old 3rd March 2008, 14:53   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jits_1998 View Post
Innova sounds interesting. It can be easily found. I read an article about innova petrol giving average of 12.5 on highways.
Well, ravibhat has a Petrol innova and has been lots of city as well as highway driving. PM him to get a better picture.

Abhi
Old 21st May 2011, 07:48   #25
BHPian

Re: Very Light Driver,looking for a car for an all india road trip

HI!

Looking at ur back problem would strongly recommend a vehicle with high hip point of seating. Also u need an automatic gearbox as actuating clutch pedal strains the left leg & left side of lower back.

Auto GB SUVs would be bloody expensive (even second hand) considering ur limited use. Suggest u go for A Maruti SX4 Auto. - Addnl advantage of good Ground Clearance.

regards

Sridhar

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks